Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2023 Minnesota

Bridesmaid issue

Alexa, 5 of August of 2023 at 03:47 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 1
Hello, I am having an issue with one of my bridesmaids and I am in need of some advice. Lets start off when I asked her to be my bridesmaid. She seemed excited but didnt ask any questions as you would expect a bridesmaid to do. Her inital comment was o my god I have your bag at home ( she is getting married to.) I quickly replied with “ you dont have to ask me just because I asked you. I see you as apart of my day and if you dont see me as apart of yours I understand I am still honored to be your friend.” She said “ no no I really do want you as apart of my day.” We went shopping that afternoon . Hours passed and she still didnt ask questions so I offered up some information like where it was when all of the events took place and the detials for the dress. I had a dress for her already as I had a bridesmaid get in an altercation with the best man and she went MIA. The following days she still never asked anything about our wedding. I eventually had asked everyone to be in my wedding and sent out a group text of what they will be wearing and what they are expected to pay for and what we will cover ( this was in early may we get married in October.) I stated that if anyone had any issues to text me privately and we will work something out. She text me immediately and told me that she wasnt going to pay for hair and makeup as she is getting married and doesnt have alot of money. I talked with my MOH and my fiance and we agreed that we would all pitch in to pay her hair and makeup. This however continued to be an issue she doesnt want to pay for anything nor does she really ask about our wedding. I have spent hours making signs for her, asking her about her day, finding bridesmaids dresses for her, and countless other things to make sure she is taking care of for her day. When the dresses arrived from the manufacturer they were a little bigger on everyone as the bridal shop had told eveyone when ordering the dress. They made it clear they will need to get it altered. She didnt want to pay to get it altered so she took it to her grandma to alter it and her grandma completely ruined the look of the dress. It is supposed to be an open back and her grandma took fabric from hemming it and sewed it to the back of the dress to close it off. She complained for days about the dress and made me feel horrible about it. FAST FORWARD TO THE CURRENT ISSUE. My fiance and I planned a combined bach party in may to be in mid august. This bridesmaid was aware of the date and had RSVPd and signed up to bring food and other items. 5 days prior to the bach party her sister text me a picture of an invitation that was a printed out piece of paper glued to construction paper that said they were having a “secret” shower for this girl and it was in the middle of the bach party she already RSVPd to. Her sisters message basically said sorry my mom didnt know about your party this weekend so and so wont be there so sorry! This invitation didnt have a location or anything it just had a time and some other information. I called BS right away . Come to find out her sister was with her all day setting up her new class room. The background matched the classroom desks exactly. I feel like this bridesmaid definitely was keyed in on this “surprise” party. I proceeded to ask the sister more information like how they are going to tell her or tell her that she cant come to my bachelorette party. Her sister replied sorry this isnt ideal but we are going to tell her the day before she is supposed to leave for your party ALSO CALLING BS. I am not sure what to do at this point this girl obviously doesnt care about my wedding and I am worried about her flaking on other events leading up to my weddings and even the day of my wedding. At this point I dont trust her and want her out but I am not sure if this is the right decision. I would also like to add she did ask me to be in her wedding but has not given me an invitation ir dates for a bridal shower or bach party. I am feeling like she just doesnt want me there either.. HELP!

1 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 5 of August of 2023 at 08:18
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to start off by separating the issues that you know you have with your bridesmaid, from the issues you think you have with her.

Just because your bridesmaid's sister told you about the wedding shower while they were both together doesn't mean your bridesmaid knows about it - it's probably that your bridesmaid made some comment about the bach party and her sister, suddenly realising that they had double-booked, texted you to let you know (not excusing sister's behaviour, but that would not be your bridesmaid's fault)

Your issues that are definitely with your bridesmaid seem to be that she is reluctant to pay any money toward being your bridesmaid and that she isn't showing sufficient excitement. If she is planning her own wedding at the same time, both these things are fairly natural - she may have found herself shorter of money than expected and also having her own wedding on her mind too much to be enthusiastic about yours. The lack of questions/conversation about your wedding, I think you need to look past - you can't demand that people feel a certain way about your wedding. Regarding the finance, you need to decide if having her be your bridesmaid is worth paying out for, and if it isn't, make it clear to her that you need her to pay her way and if she can't, then she needs to drop out.

Another possibility is that she initially thought that she was your first choice of bridesmaid and only found out later that she was a replacement for the one who dropped out - is it possible that hurt feelings are behind her lack of enthusiasm? If this is a possibility, then perhaps having a conversation to clear the air might help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics