Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner

Bridesmaid nightmare, don't know what to do

Alsxx, 27 of June of 2011 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 12

I'm hoping someone will have some good advise, I'm having a nightmare with one of my bridesmaids. I'm getting married 4 weeks today (yay!!) so could do without this so late on but I suppose that's the way things go! Really sorry if this is really long!!

I have 2 BM's, they don't really know each other, although have met a few times in the past on nights out and stuff. Issues started back in feb when one (call her BM 1) asked if anyone was organising my hen do, I said no I don't think so, so she asked if she could do it, I was like of course. So she apparantly sent around an e-mail to all my friends, including other BM (BM 2). I was then informed that BM 2 had sent a bit of a snotty e-mail to BM 1, copying my mum in, saying that she was really offended she hadn't spoken to her first etc etc, BM 1 apologised and said if she wanted to organise it or help in anyway she was more than welcome.

Following on from that I kept getting BM 2 whining about it and moaning about what BM 1 was organising, where it was, the cost, everything really. I told her that I wasn't interested in getting stuck in the middle of an argument and that I really didn't want to hear about it. Ironically, the one doing the moaning earns far more than I do, and my other bridesmaid is a vet nurse and doesn't earn anything near what we do, yet she offered to pay for my ticket, and has offered to contribute towards costs of everything (i.e. dress, hotel, hair and makeup etc), yet the one moaning has not offered at all. ?

Soooo fast forward to saturday night, my hen do. All night BM2 was making snide comments about details of my wedding, and being really snooty with all my friends and OH's mum who also came. Comments range from hair and makeup: She has refused to have her makeup done on the day, stating that she would only have to take it off and do it herself. Moaning about the time my hair and makeup lady will be starting on us in the morning. I ended up justifying everything, and when trying to say my lady was really good and that she does work for TV, she threw back at me 'that means she will just plaster it on with a trowel'.....☹️ everyone around the table goes silent at the point.....she's moaning that her shoes are too high, and she doesn't like strapless dresses (bridesmaid dress is strapless and shoes are only 2.5 inches), we went horse racing and then she starts coming out with ridiculous comments about the venue, the horses, the racing (most of us have horses hence the venue, although BM 2 does not).

Everyone stayed at mine on sat night, and then next morning OH came back from his mates house with breakfast for us all ?, once everyone had left it was us, his mum and BM2. She finally left at midday, and OH commented that she was being really opinionated with him and kept talking down to him. She also made a few comments in front of him which he mentioned to me afterwards, one being that our photographers style is 'pretentious' as she takes some shots in b&w ☹️. Next up his mum is saying that she was really snooty to her and would only talk about intellectual things, and nothing trivial and general chit chat, and made her feel really uncomfortable. I've then had 2 of my other friends saying she was awful and opionated and that they don't want to sit near her at the wedding......unfortunately for me the plan was to sit her on the head table, although I am rapidly chaning my mind!

Soooo I'm a bit stuck really. I don't know what to do. She used to be lovely, but in the last 6 months has got more and more snooty and the snidy comments are just flowing thick and fast. I want to say something to her, but don't really know what, other than suggest she changes her whole personality! I am dreading the morning of my wedding now, my two BM's don't talk - one is being a b*tch and the other one just tries to be polite but avoids conversation with her.....I can just see it being awful. My mum has said she will keep her away from me, but I don't see how when we will be getting ready together etc and she is meant to be my BM. Some people are saying ditch her, my mum is saying I can't do that and to just ignore it.

Anyone got any suggestions?

12 replies

Latest activity by libracat, 27 of June of 2011 at 18:15
  • B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

Tough one....feel for you.

Instead of 'having it out' confronting her, why not send her an email (easier than face to face and you can get your words out) saying something along the lines or - I noticed you seemed really unhappy lately are you ok? Other people noticed you seemed to be quite negative so just wondered what was wrong?'

Basically give her a broad opening and see what she says....if she says I am OK then push and mention the hen do etc, not a personal attack, but use examples and see what she says.

Good luck!

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

Honestly - I would sack her.

Sounds harsh, but If someone is going to be so nasty and snide then you do not want them involved as such an integral part of your day. I would give her a call and tell her upset you were with her lack of support and obviously dislike for all the choices that you and your other half have made. As she obviously feels so distainful of your day you prefer it if she was not a bridesmaid.

Life is too short and you woill only have one wedding

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would have the sensitive 'Is everything ok' type of conversation with her & if that doesn't a) explain her behaviour or b) make her realise she is being a brat then I would think about sacking her. You don't want your day spoilt by an attention seeking, miserable bridesmaid.

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

If she is critising everything then i would be minded to tell her to jog on.

Its up to you because you have to spend the day with her, but to be honest, you dont need the stress of someone slaggin off everything you have worked for!

• A
    Beginner
    Alsxx ·
    • Hide content

I do just feel like I want to tell her to sling her hook! Obviously the down side to that is all the money spent on shoes and dresses....I'd need a replacement!!

I like the suggestion of e-mailing her, I think if I phone her I will get upset (again). I could e-mail her and perhaps only it up asking whats wrong but also mention what she has done to upset me, and if that doesn't resolve anything then ditch her. Suggested wording welcome!!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Honestly? I'd have sacked her by now! But you're obviously a lot more tolerant than me. I think you need to have a serious chat. There could be something else at the root of this, or she could just be being a bit of a cow - I'd say jealousy that it's you and not her, is she married?

If she can't come up with an apology and decent reason for being so negative tell her not to bother.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

You only get one chance at this day and if you are so sure there is going to be an atmosphere on the morning of your wedding, it is simply not worth it, politely explain to her the reason why but she will no longer be required as a bridesmaid.

Remember the whole point of that role is to take stress away from you and for you to feel the people you have there with you are friends who have your best interests at heart, leading up to and on your day, not their own which seems the case here. It is an absolute privilage to be asked to be someones bridesmaid and anyone who doesn't behave appropriately is not good enough to have that position, is really the bottom line.

It will obviously cause some upset now but better now than regret it in the run up to your wedding and on the day itself.

• A
    Beginner
    Alsxx ·
    • Hide content

Lol you know what I usually speak my mind, but thought perhaps I was being over sensitive about the wedding. It wasn't until I got upset on my hen night and everyone started saying the same thing that I was thinking did I realise I wasn't being sensitive at all!!

She's not married and doesn't have a boyfriend, she never manages to keep one for long. My mum said she's probably jealous, but how ridiculous, were 27, not 17!!

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! I'd talk to BM2. Her attitude is not on. It's your day and she is being stupid and childish. Just tell her to knock it off. x

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what everyone else has said. You also have to think about if you do decide to keep her as bridesmaid what on earth will she be like on the actual day - will she be snotty to your guests, or moan and complain to them about the day, slagging you all off? Will she ruin the photos by having a smacked-arse face? As hard as it is, nip it in the bud now and sack her.

• A
    Beginner
    Alsxx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to either phone her or e-mail her tonight (depending on how brave I am). I don't think she will like it and suspect it will only make things worse, so I will probably end up sacking her. I just really feel like I don't want her around. I'm worried she will be sour all day, and look miserable in the photos and just wreck the day......wish me luck!!!

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like she has some serious issues.....I'd have a chat with her if shes that good a mate of yours to be a bridesmaid. Ask her whats up and see if it comes out, she might just need to talk. If she chooses not to then tell her your issues and what will happen if she doesnt sort it out. It may give her the kick up the bum she needs if not tell her where to go!!

good luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics