Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner December 2022

Bridesmaid not being co operative

HappyGreenBridesmaid11332, 12 of December of 2019 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 3

Need some help. I have recently got engaged and got so excited and rushed in on asking one of my oldest friends (lets call her Sarah) to be one of my bridesmaids... I can only have 6 BMs as my groom wants 6 grooms men and I want to match them up and quite frankly the idea of more bridesmaids makes my head spin. Recently over the past 2/3 years I have drifted away from Sarah and got closer with other people. There is someone who quite frankly at this moment in time id rather have as a bridesmaid, but being one of my oldest friends I thought id go with Sarah. It was a hard choice but It was one I have made. …. Now fast forward to selecting a bridesmaid dress, I have a vision in my head and with out being bridezilla I have dreamed of this for years and was over the moon when my plans were finally going to become reality. I want short yellow dresses for my bridesmaids. Now in my excitement I have been texting Sarah and all my other Bridesmaids pictures of dresses and every response from Sarah is "That is vile!" or "that better be a joke". There is no constructive criticism other than can we not have any other colour. Yellow is my whole colour scheme!!!! She is just being so derogatory and when I try to confront her on it she simply says i'd rather not be a bridesmaid than wear that dress. Everyone who knows Sarah and our friendship has said that they think I should tell her that she cannot be a bridesmaid if she is being so horrible about it (my Husband to be has never liked her as he does not like the way she talks to me or treats me, I think he sees it from a different POV). Am I out of order to say she cannot be a bridesmaid because of her attitude??? I am a pretty laid back bride if she tried on the outfit and said to me look I wont feel comfortable in this then of course I would change it. But I feel that 1) she would say that anyways to play on my nature and 2) its more her attitude towards things than the dress its self. Sorry to ramble but this is really taking away from what should be such an exciting time!so I guess the question is, am I being a bridezilla?

3 replies

Latest activity by pearlycat210, 22 of January of 2020 at 12:32
  • S
    SunnyGoldHair86529 ·
    • Hide content

If she's nixxing all your dress suggestions and saying 'i'd rather not be a bridesmaid than wear that dress', and if you don't want her to be a bridesmaid anyway, you have a perfect opportunity to sack her. However, rather than telling her you're doing it because of her attitude, you could phrase it as 'I'm sorry you don't want to wear the colour I've chosen. As this is the colour I want, perhaps it would be better if you were simply a guest rather than a bridesmaid and you can wear what you like rather than something I've made you wear and you'll enjoy the day more.'

This way she doesn't have to wear yellow, you come off as someone who's considering her feelings rather than being a bridezilla, you have a better chance of preserving the friendship, and you get to have the bridesmaids you want in the colour you want. Everybody wins!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I don’t actually think she wants to be a bridesmaid and is behaving this way as she doesn’t want to be the one to tell you she doesn’t want to do it but wants you to do it. I was a bridesmaid and hated every minute of it and I even told my friend I wasn’t comfortable with it and I tried so hard to get out of it and she told me I was just being silly and I rather stupidly went along with it all! I wish she’d just said to me that I didn’t have to do it if I didn’t want to! I honestly think she’s just waiting for you to do it as she doesn’t want to be the one to say it.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content

You are totally not being a bridezilla - you're asking them to wear yellow dresses for ONE DAY - it's not as if you're demanding they dye their hair to match! It's your wedding, not 'Sarah's'. If she doesn't like your colour scheme, she has two options - either decline to be bridesmaid or wear yellow and wear it nicely!

In view of her attitude, I'd say you were totally justified in telling her you no longer want her to be your bridesmaid, especially as it sounds as if you already have another potential bridesmaid waiting in the wings. You really need supportive friends around you on your wedding day, and 'Sarah' does not sound very supportive to me!

You could try giving her the choice of either wearing the dress of your choice or not being bridesmaid, but in view of her attitude so far and your fiance's view of her, I would simply tell her that your invitation to be bridesmaid is withdrawn. It's up to you as to whether or not you then invite her to the wedding at all.

It sounds as if you are beginning to see that your 'old friend' is maybe not such a good friend after all. That can be incredibly painful - I've just gone through something similar myself, after spending years of excusing increasingly appalling behaviour on the basis that we were 'such old friends'. And like you, it was my fiance who woke me up to the fact that 'friends' should actually be treating me like this! But once I'd been able to accept that my 'best friend' wasn't actually that good a friend, it's been very freeing. I've been able to focus on the other friends in my life who truly ARE friends, and I have so much more time for them now I'm not running round pandering to the whims of my selfish, demanding, self-proclaimed 'best friend'. I hope you are able to turn your experience into something equally positive.

• P
    Curious April 2020
    pearlycat210 ·
    • Hide content

If you are expecting Sarah to pay for the dress, then she is allowed an opinion.

If you are paying for the dress, then say "this is the dress, if you don't like it perhaps it would be best if you weren't bridesmaid" perhaps offer her a reading instead?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics