Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

Bridesmaid plus one's - help!

Little Madam, 16 March, 2011 at 08:36 Posted on Planning 0 9

Just wondering if anyone can share any advice before I ask bridesmaids opinon on this. It's long so please bear with me.

I have 4 bridesmaids as follows:

My cousin, who I am very close to and who just had a daughter in January this year with her long term fiance who, whilst I don't particularly like, I know quite well and he will therefore also know my family

My Best friend - we went to school together, then moved away together - 120 miles from home where we lived together for 4 years. in Nov2009 she moved back home and then into Manchester, where she met her BF - I know his name (Heard lots about him via emails as we email each other everyday, but we've only met once and have no shared friends other than my best friend).

Close friend - Been VERY distant lately, I believe she has a new man who she has been with since November last year although I couldn't tell you his name and as I haven't seen her much since then, I know nothing about him at all.

Other close friend - Really busy at work, has a man who she has been with for a year this weekend but whom I have only met once. He came to see me at my cottage at work and was really very rude and then they left within 3 mins of arriving which was just naff TBH - clealy I don't know him and we have no shared friends.

My cousin needs her plus one, as he will look after her 8 month old on the day - can I just give her a plus one and not the others?

Since 3 of them don't know anyone other than my BMs who will be with me the night before the wedding, the morning of the wedding and right through the service and photos what would their plus 1's do during this time? I should say only my cousins Fiance is from the area and so the rest would need to stay in a hotel, alone? Then be expected to mingle with people they don't know, having no one to introduce them? Confussed!!

Can I invite Best Friends OH 'cos he is nice and not the other's because they are not? ?

Can anyone shed any light? WWYD?

Thanks

9 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 16 March, 2011 at 11:43
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Invite who you want to spend your day with, not who you think you ought to. If you don't like the OHs then don't invite them. Simple.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'm just worried it would be very rude.

I know I shouldn't care, but I do - they are my friends, close friends, and I don't want to upset them over such a trivial matter - but again I am very concerned about what their plus ones would do?

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

Oooh it's a tricky one. I'm umming and aahing myself over plus ones for some of my guests.

2 of my BMs plus ones will be ushers so that's fine (my brother and his girlfriend, OH's sister and her husband)

Another bridesmaid is married and I know her husband well, stay at their house etc etc but he's not a nice person, she doesn't really like him (LONG story) and so I almost don't want to invite him just so she can have a great day, but can't NOT invite him because that would look awful and would probably cause more hassle than it's worth.

My other BM is my 18 year old cousin, one of those people who is on FB every 5 mins telling everyone how much she loves her boyfriend......until they break up and she moves onto the next one a week later. In the past 18 months she's been head over heels for 3 boys. I'm probably going to see nearer the time for that one lol if she's still with her BF then he can come, if it's a new one then no, sorry, get lost.

It's definitely a delicate area, I'd be inclined to say only invite the closest one, but as BMs they might feel they automatically got a plus one. How do they feel about it, have you talked to them?

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

I am being a bridesmaid in May for my best friend!!! We see each other at least once a month, this being said she has meet my OH twice just the way thing have worked out!! My OH has not meet her OH and will only know about 3 other people at the whole wedding. He is being invited to her wedding I would of thought it odd if he wasnt. I supose it is slightly differnt though as we are engaged.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Well they know that when the guest list was drafted that they didn't have a plus one, and they have been led to believe we are at capacity and therefore don't think they are getting a plus one.

However with the change in circumstances, one BM will need a plus one, and since Best Friend now lives with her OH (they will soon become engaged too I believe) I feel it would be like me not reconigising them as a couple if I didn't invite her OH, but then I don't want the other 2 to feel pushed out.

I seem to be going round in circles the more I write it down on here, the more I change my mind. ?

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

If they are long term partners and are serious I would invite them. I just think as they are your bridesmaids you should invite their OH's. If they dont come then thats up to them. You could always just invite them to the evening if you are having a separate evening do?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We planned it to keep it to close family and friends, and the bridesmaid's partners are my ushers.

One of the bridesmaids has two children which we are having as flowergirl and ringbearer, and her husband, although not having an official role in the proceedings, will be responsible for looking after the children during the service whilst she's being a bridesmaid Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would invite all the bridesmaids plus ones.

They all seem like long(ish) term relationships so I think you should invite the OHs, that way the bridesmaids/OHs have a choice themselves over whether they want to come or not.

I think if the bridesmaids are important to you, then you should try to keep them happy.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I would be tempted just to invite your cousins OH, he is family and you know him and he needs to look after the daughter. I would then invite the other OHs to the evening do only. Reason why is I have a thing about not wanting people i dont know there (this is just a personal preference tho) and also they are not going to be with the BMs for the whole ceremony and reception (assuming the BMs are on the top table) so will be wandering round like lost sheep not knowing anyone which cant be much fun for them either. At least in the eveining they will be able to be with the BMs.

I have noticed from here tho that some people feel very strongly about OHs being invited to things so i guess only you know if your BMs will think this is OK or not, but i think you would have to have a conversation with them about it before the invites go out to gauge their views

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - going to broach the subject with them now....

Wish me luck

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics