Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Beginner May 2023 Northamptonshire

Bridesmaid problems

Sarah, 30 of November of 2022 at 13:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 7
Apologies for the extremely long post but I really need some help and I don’t know how to resolve it. A few weeks ago we sent our wedding invites out, with the information for the rooms for the wedding party enclosed. We have rooms with our venue which we have put aside for our wedding party but we are not covering the cost, and have been upfront with everyone about this from the get go. It’s £125 for a room with breakfast included. We have said if anyone doesn’t want it that’s fine there’s no pressure, just let us know so we can inform the venue how many rooms will be occupied. When one of my bridesmaids, one of my best friends, received the invite she messaged me to ask why I was expecting her to pay and she was under the impression it was included. I’ve not had this issue from anyone else in the party, including her sister who is another one of my bridesmaids. I told her there was no requirement to pay and it’s absolutely fine if she doesn’t want the room. She then told me I’d offended her before now by ‘moving the goalposts’- I asked her what she meant as I’ve paid for the dresses and there’s no other payment required for anything with the exception of the hair and makeup which she’d agreed to a year ago when I booked the MUA. She said she doesn’t want to be a bridesmaid anymore but still wants to come to the wedding(l (also doesn’t want to come to the hen do anymore either). Then she said she still wants a room, to which I told her I’m sorry but the rooms are for the wedding party only. She then said she would be a bridesmaid but wouldn’t be happy on the day, so I said don’t be one then I only want people around me on my wedding morning that are 100% happy and invested in the day with me. I haven’t resolved anything with her but we’ve continued to talk as part of a wider WhatsApp chat amicably- she removed herself from my bridesmaid group chat and the hen do group chat. How do I broach the subject with her about where she stands, if she is indeed no longer a bridesmaid so I can get the dress back off her, inform my MUA and florist about the change of requirements etc.? I don’t want to rock the boat further, but I’m so hurt and upset about it all and I feel like no matter the outcome, this will be in my mind on the morning of my wedding. If she isn’t a bridesmaid I will miss her, and if she is her presence will remind me of this argument. She’s one of my oldest friends and we’re a very close knit friendship group but she’s a very big character which I’m not, so I tend to just roll over and accept it to avoid conflict but this is my wedding day and it’s really hurt me.

7 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 30 of December of 2022 at 11:36
  • Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    Overall I think you just need to have an open and honest conversation with her. Then you can work out where you stand. Leaving it to just naturally work it’s way out probably won’t get you anywhere and then you’ll know where you stand.

It’s a shame to say it but weddings can bring out the best and worst of people. The fact this has all gone south due to a room is a shame and makes me wonder if the bridesmaid was just looking for an excuse? If she wants to be a bridesmaid and take part 100% in the day then I would let her, however, if there a small percentage of doubt I would just say no. I hope you get it cleared up and have the best day when you get there xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to have a verbal conversation with her - face to face if possible, but otherwise over the phone. There is too much of a risk that written words will result in further misunderstanding.

It sounds like this behaviour is quite out of character, so maybe something else is going on in her life and she is taking it out on you? Not that this justifies her behaviour, but it might explain it because it does sound quite odd.

I would tell her how much her friendship means to you, how sorry you are for the misunderstanding and how much you want to continue to be good friends. But at the same time, make it clear what the options are and don't let her push you around. Regardless of whose fault the misunderstanding over costs was, you can't undo past misunderstandings, but you can agree to apologise for any upset, put it behind you and move forward. Hopefully, she is mature enough to be able to do this.

• C
    Savvy October 2024 Kent
    Crystal ·
    • Hide content
    To be honest, I would question her friendship. It might sound OTT but it makes no logical sense for her to act in this manner, unless she is jealous or just a bitch. Has she ever done this before? Have you ever had a falling out with her? Big character or not, don’t shy away from anything when you haven’t done any wrong. I would msg her or give her a call, ask her if there’s a problem as you don’t want to fall out with her, but equally stand your ground. Keep us updated Xx
  • J
    Beginner August 2024 Greater Manchester
    Janie ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear this! Please remember this is a day for you and you partner not for everyone else, if she won't be happy as a bridesmaid then I personally wouldn't have her as one. You haven't done anything wrong in this situation. I hope you get to a resolution that suits you and makes your day a memorable one for the right reasons, even if it means cutting her off from the wedding. xx

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    I would speak with her face to face and find out what the issue is. You say she’s paying for her own hair and make up….maybe the cost for the room means she can’t afford to be your bridesmaid and is too embarrassed to say she can’t afford it all? Weddings can be expensive for guests/the wedding party.
    I hope you get it sorted x
  • Stella
    Beginner July 2024 Greater Manchester
    Stella ·
    • Hide content
    I haven't read through all replies so unsure where you currently stand on this but here's my advice:
    Firstly, you need to talk face to face. Don't try to have a conversation via text as the tone doesn't come through and it can cause more damage. It's also easier to hide behind words when you can't see how upset someone is.
    When you sit down, ask her what her concerns were about the hen do and wedding and just listen. Maybe there's an underlying stress for her with money issues? If so, I'm sure you could come to a private arrangement by paying half or something.You need to set out the full costs to her as it's likely she doesn't understand just how expensive a wedding can be. If she realises how much you're having to pay for everything and why you're asking your bridesmaids to pay for their own room, make up, etc. she may have a change of heart. It's important to make it clear though that her friendship means a lot to you and that you don't want the wedding to come in the way of that so you want to work together to find a resolution. Try your hardest not to retaliate or get defensive (even if she tries to).Hope you manage to resolve it and have the best wedding day!
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Honestly it sounds like she hadn’t budgeted and has panicked about the money, wanting to make it your fault.

As others have said, open and honest conversations are the only way forward.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics