Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bridesmaid Problems

24 September, 2009 at 13:02 Posted on Planning 0 13

Sorry for the rant and the long post but sooooooo annoyed and wanted a 2nd opinion....I have posted about this on here a few months ago but thought it was all sorted unitl last night.....

When myself and H2B decided to get married, we decided we would have my 2 best friends (I am very very close to them) as bridesmaids and both of our sisters children involved too. This would be his sisters 2 girls and my sisters young boy as a ring bearer/page boy. We decided that as although he is closeish to his sister, I really am not all that close to mine any more and only really see/speak to eachother if we happen to be at my mums at the same time. Other than this, I dont see her but I do see my nephew regular as he spends a lot of time at my parents if my sisteris at work.

My sister can be a bit of an 'everything for effect and all about her' kind of person and it really rubs both myself and H2B up the wrong way most of the time!

When we told our families we were getting married, we said to both sisters that instead of having 'an army' of people walking down the aisle (me, my dad, 2 best friends, 2 nieces, and nephew without sisters!!) we were going to have the children involved and both sisters would be our whitnesses.SIL2B was over the moon that her girls were bridesmaids and very honoured that she would be a whitness.My sister kicked straight off saying that she SHOULD be a bridesmaid and questioned why I wouldnt have her. i explained about numbers to which she replied 'well i'll pay for my own dress then'! She has not let it drop since and everytime the wedding gets mentioned she makes a dig infront of anyone who will listen or roll her eyes and switch off. To make her feel more involved, we asked her to do a reading which she said she would like to do.... but again, still harping on about the bridesmaid issue.

Last night I popped into her partners house (his daughter does my nails!!) and it got bought up about my wedding. Again, she said she couldnt believe that she is not a fu****g bridesmaid. Again, I explained it all to her and said that I wanted our nieces and nephews involved and kinda thought she would be happy with that. Her response was 'well why are you having them? Cant you drop them and have your sister and SIL instead?'!! I again said about her doing a reading and being a whitness to which I got a 'well im not doing that. no way. You can ask and ask but I wont do it. Far too nerve wracking.... and what was that other thing you said?? a whitness??? well i suppose I will do that, but a reading. No way'!!

My blood was boiling!! As it was infront of her partner and his children I chose to not make an issue about it and just kept quiet.

I went over to my mums last night to talk about it. She was very upset that we were arguing but also extreemly annoyed at my sister, saying she thought it was just jealousy. She has said she wont talk to my sister about it unless she brings it up as she doesnt want to make it even worse and doesnt want us arguing.I completly agree with her as I know it will cause more trouble and wouldnt expect her to get involved in our argument. I just wanted her opinion more than anything.

I now feel bad for my Mum as I know she wans it to be a lovely day that we all look forward to and doesnt want any awkwardness when the wedding is mentioned. They are also contributing to it heavily financially and I dont want them to be spending a fortune on something that ends in family arguments.

Part of me is now determined to not get her involved in any planning at all as she has been so rude to me and selfish but the other part is also thinking maybe I should just grin and bear it and go back on my initial thoughts and ask her to be a BM so no arguments etc are caused. That would be purely for my Mum and Dads sake though as I want to keep the peace.

Sorry for the long post and moaning but just wanted to know what other hitchers thought?

13 replies

Latest activity by Baz183, 24 September, 2009 at 17:50
  • K
    Beginner July 2010
    Karen1980 ·
    • Hide content

Is your sister married were you a part of her day? i think you've been nice with the reading and witness and having her children involved.
    have you been able to ask her why she thinks she should? its not like she's been excluded and at least you has an important part in the day - if anything the reading is a nicer task than being a maid!
    I can sympathise with you as im having sister problems too.
    Mine are the fact that im not close and she only seems to want to turn up to be pretty on the day.
    I didnt feel like I could continue without telling her this so I wrote her a very nice email about how I felt, how I wished we were close and how I feel repsonsible for our parents as she's miles away and I am the emotional support for them etc...
    I clearly said what I really want is the relationship with her and her to be a part of my day
    That was on Tuesday and I havent heard anything at all.... me think's she has the ump and ignoring me; trouble is we have a fitting organised on the 7th so she's going to have to repsond to me by then surely?
  • Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Claire - have a large (insert alcoholic drink of your choice here) and a pillow to thump!

She sounds like a right nightmare. And she wonders why you don't want her to be a BM with an attitude like that?!! Look, I'd just stick to your guns and tell her if she doesn't want to be a witness/ do a reading then that's fine but you're not having her as a bridesmaid FULL STOP. Don't bow under pressure.

As one hitcher said "it's YOUR day, YOUR way" if you don't want her as BM because you're not close and she's being awkward then don't have her as a BM.

My OH's brother and his GF are still not talking to us because we're not having her daughter as a BM. She has been really horrible about me and my OH to his Mum and his Stepmum yet she hasn't confronted me about her issues.

Wish weddings didn't cause this many problems! Don't bow in to these people. You want to be surrounded by people who love and care for you on your day - not catty sisters who want to be part of the wedding for all the wrong reasons.

? have a hug! x

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Ah claire, this sounds like a tricky one! I see what you mean about wanting to ask her because you want your parents to be happy as they are contributing, but your mum does think that your sister is being unfair so maybe your ok not to back down and stick with the 'its your day you way rule!

Defo agrees with the large drink and pillow thumping theory, it works well for me!!

x

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

I remember you posting about this before. So sorry to hear your sister is still causing problems. She sounds totally unreasonable, stick to the plans you've made. Personally I think what you chose to do was lovely, and a great way to involve everyone.

I'm having similar problems with my sister (I posted before on your last post). She has just started talking to me again but is refusing to let my nephews be pageboy and usher and has ignored me when I asked if she would be my witness. She's told me that she won't be staying over on the day of the wedding (she lives about 2 hrs away) because she has to get back for the dog. So that put me in my place.

I understand you not wanting to cause arguments though but stick to your decision and hopefully she will come round once she sees that she can't emotionally blackmail you into it.

• cotteesgirl
    Beginner September 2009
    cotteesgirl ·
    • Hide content

Pah families...it takes away the whole enjoyment of weddings....again all i have to say is your wedding your way, but equally sometimes its just not worth the hassle of everything, and it could lead to you not enjoying the build up and/or dreading everytime you see her up until the day. good luck with whatever you decide and keep your chin up x

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Aww bless you. Im going to go and try shop dresses on to see if i feel special in them and compare and then go from there me thinks!

I agree with spangles, start with a large drink and some pillow bashing!

Is it worth maybe writing to her...so it doesnt turn into a argument, and putting it bluntly but nicely that she will not be made a bridesmade not matter how much stink she kicks up but she has the opportunity to get involved in the wedding in many other ways if she chooses to, but from now on she must stop bringing up the bridesmaid issues as it is upsetting your parents greatly...maybe with a bit more fluff...although that probably doesnt help if she already knows she is upsetting them but doesnt care...

Time for another drink!

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

This was what upset me the most to be honest. I really hope your sister doesn't do this.

Wedding chat time sounds good and hopefully you might come up with a good plan between you. Enjoy your holiday!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics