Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner July 2018

Bridesmaid Troubles

ExpensiveGreenCakes922, 17 of October of 2017 at 19:09 Posted on Planning 0 3

Over a year ago my partner and I got engaged and we couldn’t wait to start planning our big day. We booked our venue and asked a selection of the special people in our lives to be part of our bridal party.

I have three bridesmaids, including my sister and to be honest I don’t know where I’d be without her. Planning a wedding can be pretty overwhelming and making decisions is so difficult. I’m having a few issues with the other two girls I’ve asked to be my bridesmaids. I completely understand that people have their own lives to lead and I truly don’t expect them to drop everything or give up much time. However, they just don’t seem to be very interested. They don’t respond to texts and when they do its weeks, sometimes a month later, they’ve cancelled on two separate occasions the day before bridesmaid dress shopping....and I don’t really hear from them.

I met up with a few friends (not the bridesmaids) for dinner a few weeks back and they told me that they’d heard one of my bridesmaids had been to see the venue that my partner and I are getting married at. The next day I received a text from her saying they had provisionally booked the same venue as us.

I took a little while to think about the best way to respond to this. I was a little upset that I’d found out from the group first, then via text message....rather than a face to face conversation so we could speak to each other about things.

I responded saying it came as a surprise to me but it’s important that her and her partner booked a venue they loved. I then asked the date they were considering and she didn’t respond.

I was then informed by a mutual friend that she had booked the same venue as us for two weeks after our date....I won’t be able to attend her wedding as we will be on our honeymoon.

I completely understand that we don’t own the venue and she is entitled to get married anywhere, anytime she wants....I just can’t help but feel disappointed that she couldn’t have sat down with me and spoke it through. I’m genuinely sad I won’t be able to see her get married.

I spoke to her over the phone as she was too busy to meet me face to face, so that we could chat things out to avoid any awkwardness. I will be honest, I’m a little upset/shocked that they’ve selected the same venue as us literally two weeks after....but it is entirely her choice and I’m happy for her. I explained all of this on the phone to her and the only response she gave was “well I can’t help how you feel, we can share our ideas so we don’t have the same things”! Things just feel awkward between us and the friendship is drifting apart.

I’ve some people advising me to ask her to step down as bridesmaid as she will be too busy planning her own wedding for the same venue and it might cause tension between the two of us. However, I’d feel absolutely terrible asking somebody to step down....I just don’t know if I can do that.

How would you other brides feel and what would you do if it was your bridesmaid?

3 replies

Latest activity by April2018Bride, 19 of October of 2017 at 12:27
  • D
    Beginner June 2019
    Durhamchance ·
    • Hide content

It’s a tough one and you could take it two ways.

first, you could be flattered that she obviously thinks you have wonderful taste in venues and likes it so much that she had to have her wedding there too

or you can be annoyed that she’s copied you and can’t come up with her own ideas.

I’d be more bothered about the lack of enthusiasm in your wedding and perhaps it’s time to have a talk with her about it and ask her honestly if she still wants to be your bridesmaid which gives her the option to dip out? It may also give her the kick up the bum to be more involved too.

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

I do think it's an odd move, especially just two weeks after! But I agree that the lack of enthusiasm is most worrying, I've got through that a little (getting married next month) and I've found it quite difficult. But at the same time I think it would take something really extreme for me to ask someone to step down, I just wouldn't want that situation!

• E
    Beginner July 2018
    ExpensiveGreenCakes922 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your advice! It really is a tough decision! She’s been a friend for so long and I genuinely care about her, otherwise I’d never have asked her to be my bridesmaid...I really don’t want this to be the downfall of our long friendship. However, at the same time she’s hurt me. I really can’t quite believe she’s booked the same venue so close to our day. After speaking with her she said “I could have booked it before your day but I didn’t”. I understand she’s maybe taken this into consideration but it still doesn’t excuse her decision making and lack of enthusiasm.

I reckon I do need to have a conversation with her about her commitment to being a bridesmaid, with all her own planning going on in the background for the same venue.

She really has thrown a spanner in the works here!

Thanks again!

• A
    Beginner May 2019
    April2018Bride ·
    • Hide content

I really feel for you, this is such a difficult situation.

I personally wouldn't have booked the same venue as one of my best friends', let alone only a fortnight afterwards. It sounds as if deep down she knows it's wrong so she's gone on he defence. Otherwise you wouldn't have heard it from other people instead of her. I think you've reacted very calmly and I think a lot of brides would have gone beserk about it.

The lack of enthusiasm in your wedding and her being your bridesmaid is really upsetting, I've seen it as such a honour when I've been a bridesmaid as I know I've been picked over other people to have that role in the wedding as it's a sign of your love to your friend that you chose her, it's not fair that she's cancelling dress fitting appointments etc. I do wonder if it's because she's been clearly planning her own wedding at the same time and that's taken over.

It doesn't have to end your friendship with her but I do think she should give you the time to meet up face to face so you can talk openly about what's happened and as others have suggested offer her to step down as bridesmaid as she's busy with her own wedding and be honest about the lack of enthusiasm you think she's shown. Getting married is such a stressful, emotional & busy time, the last thing that you need is to have someone in the bridal party who you feel isn't quite bothered or not showing an interest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics