Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner July 2023 Liège

Bridesmaid Wedding 2 weeks before mine

Sarah, 7 of November of 2022 at 21:09 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3

I got engaged 9 months ago and have planned my date and wedding for next year, already sending out the save the dates 3 months ago. My bridesmaid who knows my date got engaged recently and has had told me they originally had a date in mind 3 months after our wedding. We are beyond happy for them and know our weddings will be in the same destination with lot of our same guests. They also be having to travel to as it is in another city for both weddings and the bridesmaids will probably overlap as well. I have no issue with this as it is bound to happen. The bridesmaid has now informed me that they have changed their mind and wanting to book their wedding 2-3 weeks before ours. I can't help but be upset as it is going to put both our guests in a tough decision of costs and having to choose between our two weddings... Another issues is I feel that it is going to give both not a proper celebration of our weddings... Bare in mind also that there are no other weddings next year of our friend groups and they could choose any other date and I would be able to then understand it a bit better.... how do I handle this and not feel hurt by their decision? I know if it was the other way around she would be so angry at me and I would never think of doing this..

3 replies

Latest activity by CharlesMed, 8 of November of 2022 at 10:41
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Your second argument about needing 'a proper celebration' doesn't hold water. You get one day. For you, you will be thinking about your wedding for weeks before and weeks after, but for most of your guests, they'll only really be thinking about it for a day or two either side.

Having overlapping guest lists is more of an issue, especially for a destination wedding. But I don't think you will have many more people turn down an invite just because the dates are close together. People are either happy to travel a distance for a wedding or they are not.

Has your friend given any reason for getting married so close to your date? It might be worth raising your concerns with her - she may have a very good reason for needing to move the date, and you won't know without asking her.

• Weddingjuly2023
    Curious August 2023 Buckinghamshire
    Weddingjuly2023 ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should speak to your friend to see if she has any reason for getting married so close to your date? I think it would be good to raise your concern that you're worried about guests having to choose a wedding and not financially being able to afford both or get the time off there are two destination weddings so close to each other. This way you are making it about the guests rather than yourselves, she may take it better. Hope you're ok, planning a wedding is not easy, it will all work out in the end.
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Sarah, please don’t stress about this. I know what you mean. My fiancés best friend gets married 4 weeks before us, they announced it around a month ago and I think there is around 20 friends we all share. We didn’t bat an eyelid, just thought another happy couple getting married, but the odd friend has said to my partner you will have to have a joint stag? Not sure how we will afford both? Why so close? We have just said that you have 2 years, you are very aware of the date. If you don’t want to come/can’t come that’s absolutely fine. I know it comes down to money etc, but who will want to be there will be there and I promise they will make the effort. Seeing your friend get married will only make you so excited you get to do it 2 weeks later. Please don’t let it spoil the lead up to your wedding, enjoy it with your partner and take it all in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics