Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner October 2025 Essex

Bridesmaids..

Lauren, 10 of June of 2024 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 4

I have chosen my bridesmaids and have made the decision not to include my SIL as part of the bridal team. There has been issues in the past with my SIL and her husband but we have now moved on and can be around each other with no negative feelings towards each other. Saying this my partner has never been close with his sister and with that I feel it’s made it harder to form any relationship with her as we only see her when we’re round the MIL’s house. My partner and myself have tried to make effort with them, whether it’s seeing how they all are, trying to plan something with them, keeping them updated with the wedding plans.. but don’t seem to get the same effort back, they seem to show little interest in wanting much to do with us. We didn’t even get any acknowledgment regarding our ‘ save the date ‘ If it wasn’t for the family gatherings throughout the year we would have very little to do with her and her husband and their little one if nothing at all. Now when we see my MIL she’s always asking how things are going with the wedding and seems to be only interested in asking if I’ve picked my bridesmaid yet?! To me it seems she is only asking to see if I’ve picked her daughter as a bridesmaid or not. I haven’t yet made it official to anyone on who I’ve chosen but when I do start letting people know I know my MIL won’t take it well. The thought of her questioning my decision and not respecting my wishes is leaving me very stressed as the last thing I want is any drama when it’s suppose to be our special day. I don’t think it’s fair I should be made to feel I need to please others.

What’s everyone’s opinions? X

4 replies

Latest activity by Shay, 19 of June of 2024 at 09:45
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids are usually the bride's choice and picked from her close friends and family, so there is no reason at all to include your SIL. If MIL doesn't like it, she'll just have to lump it!

Pick a set phrase in advance and agree with your OH that you will both use this if you get questioned/hassled as to why SIL isn't included. E.g. lack of space getting ready, hairdresser not being able to take on any more people, only wanting those you've known since childhood in your bridal party... If you get argument, don't engage, just say "I'm sorry you feel that way but...[repeat statement]. You don't owe MIL or SIL an explanation, so don't be drawn in to defending your position.

If you think it will help promote harmony and you are happy to do so, consider offering SIL another role. E.g. "So sorry you can't be bridesmaid but [reason for not including], however, we would love it if you would be one of our witnesses/do a reading etc,

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I am very close with my SILs and so is my fiance but we didn’t ask them. We kept them separate. I do feel a little guilty but they are still fully involved in the day. No one has questioned me except the vicar, weirdly. What I would say is don’t give them reasons as to why not as if they are to question you they could give you reasons to have them. We can get ready here instead but still be bridesmaids etc. I felt this way about not asking one of my friends to be bridesmaid and my Mum said don’t answer to no one. Don’t tell her why you didn’t ask her just leave it. I did and she has been bang on. She isn’t coming and we knew she wouldn’t but I worried for nothing. Good luck and don’t overthink it. It’s your and hubby to be’s day.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"No one has questioned me except the vicar, weirdly. "

That is odd! Maybe he/she has seen major fallout from not inviting SILs in the past, so was flagging it up as a potential issue? Still weird though.

• S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He never did say! He just said you do know this is 2 families uniting? And we said yes, ofcourse, but we want the morning and evening before with each of our families. Actually my fiancés decision. He is very funny our vicar and said I need to mind my own business don’t I? 😂😂 He asked how they felt and we said they were absolutely fine as they are heavily involved. But I guess some people will be offended and I can actually understand that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics