Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Beginner August 2025 Hampshire

Bridesmaids and sisters

Charlotte, 6 of April of 2023 at 19:45 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hello! I've got a bit of a dilemma and really need some advice. My sister is a bit older than me and has always been there for me through everything. I'd said she was alot like a mum to me aswell as a best friend. I'd love her to be bridesmaid aswell as my niece and 4 of my closest friends. However, I also have a sister a year younger than me who I'm not as close to and we don't really spend any time together. She never really attends family functions or anything. My mum has said it would be unfair to leave her out but I don't want to have more than 6 bridesmaids (I already feel that's too much) or not include my older sister but I also don't want to upset anyone and leave anyone out. Arghhh! Already stressing and it's not been a week of engagement yet 😂 thanks everyone x

2 replies

Latest activity by Melissa, 13 of April of 2023 at 15:09
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear! Welcome to the world of wedding planning where absolutely everyone and his cat has an opinion on what you should do!!!

If you would like your older sister to be a bridesmaid, could you ask your younger sister to have some kind of other role, such as doing a reading or being a witness? This would give her a 'role' while not going down the full bridesmaid route. Alternatively, you could ask your older sister to do these things as a way of honouring her without asking her to be bridesmaid. (You may find out that she doesn't even want to be a bridesmaid anyway - not everyone does - so it would be worth talking to her first about the kind of role she'd like to have in your wedding).

• K
    Beginner May 2024 Surrey
    Kate ·
    • Hide content
    Hi,
    I think it would be a nice idea to have your other sister do a reading or have some other role in the wedding. My sister is getting married in 2 weeks. She’s a lot closer to our other sister (they live close to each other, are much closer in age and are involved in each others day to day lives). She has asked our other sister to be bridesmaid, along with her best friend and my 13 year old daughter. I’ll be doing a reading and I’m more than happy with that (though quite nervous!!).
    For my own wedding I will only have my 2 daughters as bridesmaids and won’t be asking either of my sisters (as much as I adore them both!).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics