Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mae-Jones
Beginner November 2024 Lancashire

Bridesmaids don’t get on

Mae-Jones, 15 of April of 2024 at 06:51 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 2
One of my bridesmaids doesn’t get on with my other bridesmaids, she’s always been more on the reserved side whenever we have done anything wedding related and never messages in a group chat we have but will message me privately. I’ve never thought it’s a major issue, sure I would’ve liked her more involved but sometimes people aren’t good at the ‘group’ thing and I was fine with that.
Recently though she’s backed out of my hen do which is something she has agreed to, saying she can’t go cos of issues with other bridesmaids.
I’m upset as she’s putting this before our friendship and also making it so difficult for me. I’ve given her options of how we could make things better but she’s not really interested. I don’t want to tell the other bridesmaids at this stage as don’t want them to then get upset too! Just so frustrating as it’s putting a strain on our own friendship, if it was me I would suck it up for the next 6 months. What do I do?

2 replies

Latest activity by Toni-Joy, 26 of April of 2024 at 23:28
  • L
    Dorset
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    I’m a bridesmaid and I am struggling with other bridesmaids too , 2 that I don’t know very well although I’m not very reserved. I would say if you want to get more involved actually ask your friend what has happened / ask to see
    Messages etc and then you can make your own judgment. I do think there is something about hen dos that turn people into bridesmaidzillas. It is really hard to accommodate a lot of requests in hen dos but it can also bring out a lot of jealous/ competition and controlling / my way or the high way behaviour!! Also there is a lot of assumption and expectation and people think differently! Hope it works itself out. I imagine she didn’t come lightly to backing out of the hen do and doesn’t want to let you down. I imagine it’s just got very stressful and she feels she isn’t being listened to by the others. I think maybe reiterated your preferences for the hen do. Some bridesmaids think that they know what you want but they don’t really!! 🤣🤣
  • Toni-Joy
    Beginner November 2025 North Yorkshire
    Toni-Joy ·
    • Hide content

My mum got married in 2018, I was a bridesmaid, alongside my ex-best friend who'd been around my family since we were children. We had major issues with one another. At the end of the day We both had to put our feelings aside for my mum. We were civil and even danced together just to make my mum happy. She was so stressed about it from our initial reactions. She just made sure we weren't standing or sitting next to each other. Honestly, if I can put that aside (deep story as to why we weren't friends anymore) then your bridesmaids can too! They need to decide if their friendship with you is more important than their feelings towards each other. Try to get to the bottom of what's happened and why these feelings are there and have a calm conversation with the bridesmaid who's backing out of events because of it. Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics