Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2026

Bridesmaid's Dress Help

MissChipmonk, 2 of August of 2017 at 16:51 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi Everyone,

I am getting married next October. I have 8 bridesmaids (they'll be aged 28, 26, 24, 26, 23, 26, 24 and 6). I can't afford to spend a fortune on dresses for them all, and 2 of them live in London (I live near Manchester). Therefore I was thinking that it would probably be easier to get the dresses from a high street shop as they will likely be cheaper but it also means that I don't have to worry too much if the 2 bridesmaids who live in London cannot make it dress shopping as I would be able to go shopping with them at a different time. They are all very different sizes so I am wary of buying from the internet as I'd like for them to be able to try the dresses on before I buy them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at debenhams and next. I'm not looking to buy the dresses just yet but I want to get some ideas of what sort of thing is available.

Thanks in advance,

Sam ?

4 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 3 of August of 2017 at 14:41
  • B
    Beginner November 2016
    BBC2B ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids wore dresses from John Lewis (I believe they were called 'Frances' - I had 3 adult bmaids, they all had the same dress but wore different colours). They were JL own brand, didn't look like anything special on the hangers but were so flattering on. Although we didn't go for this option, JL also stock Rainbow Club shoes, which can be dyed to any colour through JL, so using one of their own dresses as a colour swatch to match to would've been pretty ideal.

• L
    Beginner March 2018
    LuxuriousPinkCakes651 ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids have ASOS dress. Chi Chi also do some really great dresses at good prices.

• G
    Beginner April 2018
    GeorgieBea89 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sam,

I also have an absolute bridal squad - 10 maids! And just to make my job easier, I have 2 living overseas with me, one in Manchester, one in Milton Keynes, one in Brighton, two in Essex, and three in London.

Dress shopping was out of the question, so I found that the best way was to order dresses online and choose 2 of my maids to be the guinea pigs to try on and give me an idea of fit etc (I still haven't seen the chosen dresses in real life as I'm abroad!) We did this with a few dresses, mainly from Asos and Debenhams, and in the end we settled on the Jenny Packham waterfall lily dress from Debenhams. I ordered a bunch of different sizes to my mum's house and she sent them on to everyone who tried them on and decided on a size, and we sent back the ones we didn't need.

Your best bet is to either go shopping with a couple of maids and decide on dresses, then check that they have the dresses in stock in London for your two maids. Or order from an online store with a free returns policy, that way it doesn't matter if you need to order loads of sizes and send some back.

I would definitely recommend high street rather than a bridal boutique, especially like as you say you've got so many maids that you can't spend hundreds on each dress as it will add up to a fortune! There are so many affordable but good quality high street dresses - I know you've already looked in Debenhams but also check out Litle Mistress, Chi Chi London, House of Fraser, and ASOS if you want to look online.

Good luck!
    x

• W
    Beginner November 2017
    Willows2B ·
    • Hide content

My maids are wearing Debenhams multiway dresses. I'm getting married this November and bought them last November in the black Friday sale for £44 each Smiley smile

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

My BMs had ASOS dresses, I wanted something pretty cheap and not a typical BM dress. As they do free returns I was able to order them, got them to try it and could have returned it easy if they didn't fit.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics