Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner May 2026 Surrey

Bridesmaids etc!

Joanna, 30 of June of 2024 at 18:20 Posted on Planning 0 3
Is asking people to be bridesmaid etc, 2 years before the potential wedding, too early? When did everyone ask people?
We’re having an engagement party in a few weeks and I wanted to ask people, my partner is asking if it’s too early as we don’t have an exact date yet!!

3 replies

Latest activity by Abbie, 2 of July of 2024 at 04:48
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would hold off as long as possible. I know if you are this excited about asking people, then you probably can't imagine ever changing your mind, but you only have to look through this forum to see the huge number of posts from people who have fallen out with/have changed relationships with someone they asked to be bridesmaid years in advance and who now don't want them in the bridal party!

I've had personal experience of this too, since the person who was my best friend for over 30 years started acting very strangely, ended up getting obsessed with conspiracy theories, said horrible things about my OH etc. Two years before our wedding, I couldn't have imagined not having her as my MOH, yet I ended up not even inviting her to the wedding as a guest.

A year out is plenty of time to be asking. Especially as you don't even have a date fixed yet.

• Echo
    East Central London
    Echo ·
    • Hide content

I believe there is no issue with doing it early. After selecting the bridesmaids, I can arrange for them to try on the bridesmaid dresses, a process that might take a long time and could involve multiple rounds. Then, I need to arrange the hairstylist and makeup artist. I think it is necessary to plan everything a year in advance.

• Abbie
    Beginner May 2025 Lancashire
    Abbie ·
    • Hide content
    It depends whether you’re setting stone with your bridesmaids or not. I asked mine 2 years before but that’s because I just knew straight away that they would all be committed and they’re my best friends and I was the same I wanted them to know before my engagement party x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics