Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2018

Bridesmaids gifts, is it cheeky...?

HappyBrownConfetti849, 18 of September of 2017 at 17:29 Posted on Planning 0 4

Okay, I’ve noticed that a few people have strong opinions on money etc. and I’m not looking for a rant, just a bit of advice on if what I’m going to propose is okay. I have four bridesmaids, and a tight budget (trying to get a mortgage as well haha) –which I have been making work, but is it bad of me to combine their upcoming Christmas presents with something they can use on the wedding day? (And afterwards of course)

The whole personalised silk robe thing, seems like a waste to me, I’d rather just buy nice plain dressing gowns that can be used after the wedding as well, but I haven’t really budgeted for “bridesmaid gifts” and can’t really afford anything too expensive, but I don’t want to just bombard them with typical tat that will be thrown away, forgotten or sold afterwards either. Is it cheeky to get them the robes as a part of Christmas presents, with the expectation they’ll wear them when the wedding comes around? I plan on getting them a small thank you gift each on the day as well.

My logic is that people sometimes do similar when gift giving to someone who is getting married, for example, I received a wedding garter for Christmas last year from a friend –which got a few giggles from the other family members, but I appreciated it nonetheless (didn’t have to worry about my “something blue” anymore). Or when a family member will give you a “bottom drawer” present for Christmas, as they probably can’t think of a gift, or want to get you something a bit nicer than a “standard gift” that you’ll actually use.

For example; last Christmas my cousin (and chief bridesmaid) gifted my H2B and I a slow cooker as a joint gift, we currently each live with our respective parents and I’d had a call from my aunt (her mother) a few months before asking if I’d be interested in a slow cooker as a wedding gift –I’m not actually the type that expects wedding gifts, but I said it would be a nice thing to have if that was something she wanted to get for us. I was a little confused at receiving it for Christmas, but quite funnily, incredibly grateful. My parent’s oven died about a month later and we didn’t have the money to get a new one. I went to the future-in-law’s house and retrieved the slow cooker for my parents to use while they saved for a new oven. Lots of other expenses were going on over the following months; Christmas aftermath, my mom’s car broke down, among other things, so the oven was effectively last on the list. So all in all, it was quite a well appreciated gift that is still used regularly and I honestly don’t even mind if it burns out before we move into our own home as I shall definitely get another.

So enough of that tangent haha; Christmas gifts that are wedding / bridesmaid related, yes or no?
I think it’s okay as I’ve appreciated gifts that were “dual-purposed” in the past, and a dressing gown is a perfectly normal Christmas present on its own (with the added bonus of being usable for getting ready at the wedding) but I just want a few opinions on the matter to gauge if I’ll be getting some raised eyebrows at Christmas dinner.

4 replies

Latest activity by LilacsandDiamonds, 19 of September of 2017 at 20:06
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

The difference is the garter is a gift to YOU for YOUR wedding and a slow cooker is just a gift, just because they mentioned giving you one for the wedding does not make it a wedding related gift but the robes are NOT a gift for them instead its a gift for yourself because your the one that wants to use them

a christmas gift should really be for the person and should be personal to them not as a mass way to save yourself money on what you want for your wedding, if you wanted these things for your day then you should of really budgeted it in

you can buy the robe for the girls, theyre unlikely to object to being given a robe but its not really a christmas gift... I personally dont know anyone that does christmas gifts for friends anymore (not since school) but if it is something you always do as a friendship group I would probably side eye it if we all had bought you thoughtful gifts for you and you gave something with 'selfish' with money based intent instead of friendly/personal giving

if you must save money I would probably in a giving situation appreciate something cheap or free with personal care (nothing ever has to be expensive, you could make something or get something for £1-2) than something expensive but tied with non-personal expectations... just cut back on christmas spending in general instead of doing it with an alteria motive

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

I think its fine, its a dressing gown at the end of the day - which everyone likes a new dressing gown! I don't see anything wrong with asking them to wear it to get changed for the wedding, I personally wouldn't be offended. I think everyone understands how costly getting married can be and are they truly friends if they're going to judge you over a dressing gown? In the grand scheme of things I wouldn't worry. A gift is a gift and the thought is there, so what if it'd dual use - rather that than opening tat to stick in a cupboard!

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Okay Sorbet, I appreciate the opinion and perspective, but just to clarify these are my cousins and I said part of a Christmas gift not the complete gift and as money is tight, a dressing gown is within the realms of what I would buy them anyway (plus I'm struggling for gift ideas...). My family don't tend to splash cash on gifts, we budget and get things that people would like/use or a token just to show people we're thinking of them even if we can't afford something amazing.and I believe a nice dressing gown is a nice gift.

Thanks expensive yellow confetti, I thought it was a nice gift too The H2B says to go for it and save money haha

• P
    Beginner September 2017
    PinkGems254 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I bought all my bridesmaids a 'Bride Squad' dressing gown from Asda (i think they were £8 each and I found them on-line) for each of their birthday's so I don't see any issue with getting them one as part of their Christmas Present. My bridesmaids loved them as it will be something to wear on the wedding day and started getting them excite for the upcoming wedding. I got them a couple of other bits and pieces as well and I also plan to get them a small thank you gift on the day but I don't see any reason why you couldn't / shouldn't do it. My MOH made me 'Brides Box' for my Christmas present even though the wedding was 9 months away but i still loved it and really appreciated the thought

• L
    LilacsandDiamonds ·
    • Hide content

I think it's an excellent idea! I also think that it IS a personal present to them, as it's a reminder that next year they're going to be your bridesmaids, which is something that I'm sure they're really excited about. If i was in their shoes id be very pleased with a robe as a Christmas present n would think it was a thoughtful gift!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics