Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2021

Bridesmaids might not be invited to wedding - advice!

RomanticPurpleBridesmaid37365, 26 of October of 2020 at 21:02 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hi everyone,

I got engaged a year ago and we are due to get married May 2021.
In Feb I asked 5 friends to be bridesmaid.....then covid hit.
I’m conscious that due to covid the reality of our wedding next May could be 15 or 30 people and this leads to my problem.....both me and my partner have big families so with 15 people none of my bridesmaids would be able to come and with 30 people I would have space for only 3.
I’m looking for tips on broaching this conversation. It’s hard as we don’t actually know what it’s going to be like and probably won’t know until very close to the date - do I just put off dress shopping until the last minute?
Also, and this is the part I’m most stressed about - what would you do with the prospect of only having room for 3? My gut was to not invite any but then that means I’ve got zero friends at the wedding. But then how on earth do I tell two they can’t come?!
Sorry I know a little hypothetical but something which is really playing on my mind!
Thank youSmiley smile

2 replies

Latest activity by Steff, 12 of November of 2020 at 10:19
  • E
    Curious October 2021 West London
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    Hopefully if you are close enough to ask them to be bridesmaids, they will support you no matter what and be understanding of this very difficult and strange situation. You are being forced and it's not your choice if you can only have 15/30/etc. guests.

Have they paid any money towards being bridesmaids? Understandably they will be disappointed but they also may feel out of pocket which might be something which comes up if you broach the conversation with them.
    Whatever you do I would go all or nothing don't choose 3 out of 5 to attend. It will make the other 2 feel like lower class bridesmaids, you shouldn't pick favourites. Otherwise why have 5 bridesmaids in the first place if you can choose 3 you prefer.... It will just cause hard feeling.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Explain the situation to them and say you will have to hold off on dress shopping etc till nearer the time. (Or maybe look at letting them come in whatever dress they want, so they don't have to buy anything new that may end up not being worn). As far as choosing goes - if you have one friend that is much closer than any of the others, you could dub her 'maid of honour' and then get away with only inviting her if numbers are limited, but otherwise it would need to be all or none.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics