Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner December 2013

Bridesmaids ordered dresses too small to diet into them....

MiniSuzieQ, 23 of September of 2013 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 17

I really need some advice on how to sensitively have an awkward conversation with some of my bridesmaids. I had them try on various size dresses as I ordered a whole range from debenhams. The dresses were very small fitting and even one size up was tight although they fastened. Two of my bridesmaids suddenly decided that they were going to diet and took smaller sizes from my range which were no where near fastening.

I am getting married on the 27th December so time for alterations over that period means they have about two months to get in them. One of them has 26lbs to lose. I don't know about the other but she has gained weight since the original try on.

i am really upset as I really want them to be my bridesmaids but my groom, even tho it's his sisters, has said they won't be bridesmaids if their dresses don't fit as they insisted on the sizes.

i have bought the dresses, shoes, accessories, hair pieces, flowers, wraps etc and I am upset that no one listened to me that I was really uncomfortable about them dieting to get in dresses anyway as I didn't pick them to be bridesmaids because I wanted thin girls, I picked them because I want them to be involved and be part of our day. I wanted everyone to get a size that if anything was a little loose so it could be taken in.

My future mother in law wants everyone to be positive in supporting the weight lose but it's completely ridiculous to attempt such a massive loss. They have had the dresses for five months and nothing has changed except my worrying has increased!

The dresses are no longer in stock so it's not like I can get more. I want to express that I feel disappointed that they put us in a position where half my bridal party Possibly won't be taking part. My mum died on Christmas Eve not this year but the one before, so having the women in the family around me and supporting me on such an emotional day is really important to me.

help!

17 replies

Latest activity by Holey, 24 of September of 2013 at 12:48
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I managed to lose 25 lbs in 2 months so it is doable if they're serious about it, however if they're gaining and not bothering you have to speak to them,
    Just say to them that you're worried they won't fit and what are their plans of action if they don't, explain that you're worried they'll back out or that they'll simply be left with no dresses that fit them.
    I don't think you can leave it til nearer the time if they're not taking it serious and you end up both out of pocket and without BM's. They can't expect you to go out and buy new dresses nearer the time surely so I assume they're probably thinking they'll be able to get the weight off in time but the sooner you find out the better I think.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Could you get the dresses altered to a lace up back? That should help should they not slim down enough.

I do think you'll have to speak to them sooner rather than later though to try and help them along

• Pinkboo
    Beginner March 2014
    Pinkboo ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, I can imagine that you feel like you're in an impossible position.

When I was a bm for a friend we went through a simular experience. Luckily she had a spare dress so one bm had their dress let out when she didn't loose the weight.

Admittedly I had put on a few pounds after she bought the dresses (tho she bought them in a sale and guessed sizes, so there wasn't a try on). I got a massive kick up the arse (motivation) when she had a big girlie night to have a few drinks and try on the dresses/shoes/accessories. Once I tried it on and saw the "problem areas" it gave me the clear motivation to loose those extra pounds I gained. My friend also started Weight Watchers and going to fitness classes (she wanted to lose weight and get toned up before the wedding) and encouraged us to go with her too, for moral support. Maybe you could try one of those tactics?

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I’m not sure my story will help you, but I can sympathise.

I had to resort to buying a massive used one off eBay (all I could find) and my mum basically remade it to fit my BM. She didn’t lose one pound, in fact she was probably a stone heavier than when I bought the dress a few months before the wedding.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Maybe a trying on session will make them realise they aren't going to fit? Then you can suggest buying an additional dress, like OB, and altering the ones you've got?

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But who would pay for the replacement dresses? I don't think the bride should in this case, to be fair.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I made the BM pay for the eBay dress.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Are they still convinced it will be ok? x

• M
    Beginner December 2013
    MiniSuzieQ ·
    • Hide content

I immediately checked on ebay but there isn't any, I'll keep looking tho!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good; I'd be damned if I was paying for another dress for someone.

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    WontBaJonesmuchlonger ·
    • Hide content

Me and 5 of my six bridesmaids are all dieting to fit into dresses that were too small I'm not worrying about it, I've got enough to deal with. If they can't get into their dresses I've told them that's their problem. All that matters is that they are there!! If they can't fit into the dresses I would just get ones in the same colour.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

God, how awful.

If it's your H2Bs sister, perhaps he can have a more stern word with her? Explain that she either needs to lose the weight FAST or she needs to buy a new dress!

I wouldn't be happy about it. I know it's a sensitive issue for some people, but ordering a dress too small is only going to work if you've got the determination to really lose weight.

My wedding dress was far too small, but I lost 30lbs to get into it - that was over a year though, not 2 months.

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the people that said that you should stage a girls night in/dress trying on session, that way they can see for themselves that they need to lose the weight. And then you could tactfully slip in that you have no more money left in the budget and you would hate for them to have to buy another dress...

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I agree with a trying on session to make them realise it's not going to fit followed by agreeing some solutions with them there and then. I stupidly ordered my dress when I was doing really well on a diet and have since put all the weight and more back on and I'm really struggling to shift any of it.

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I was a bridesmaid and made my friend buy me a size smaller than I was and lost the most weight in the final month or even two weeks and did it. I also bought a wedding dress 3 - 4 sizes smaller than when got engaged and did that too although that took me a year with two months off in December and January. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would put themselves in a position of trying to diet over Christmas. Really they need to lose an extra half stone by the end of November so they can afford to put on a few pounds over the festive period.
    I would recommend setting up a google alert for your BM dresses (have you heard of this, it basically means that google emails you if someone creates a webpage (e.g. an eBay ad) that fits your search term. Buy the spare dresses you think you'll need if they appear (you may well be able to recover everything you spend by selling either those dresses or the ones you already have once you know) and I would call it a small price for piece of mind..

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too! Stupidly didn't weigh myself when I bought the dress either so although I know I'd lost a few pounds I've got no idea what size I was now to compare!! Dress due in store in december... time will tell!! *Takes another bite of my 02:13am fish finger sandwhich and downs last of my bombay sapphire* (well I have been flying all weekend and just got home for my days off so it's like a typical 'friday night' feeling in comparison haha!!)

• M
    Beginner December 2013
    MiniSuzieQ ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your advice!

I have decided that I will have a trying on evening, in which they can all help with the favours and building cake boxes!!

it will be about 6 weeks before the wedding so there is still some time to do something about it. Although I have just been to see a seamstress who has told me that it definitely cannot be let out because of the fabric as it would be damaged and you would barely gain anything!

I am definitely going to set up the search for more on ebay etc, then if we find them, sell the ones I have bought and buy the new ones then hopefully it won't cost me anymore.

Phew! What a stress! Note to anyone going to be a bridesmaid, don't get a dress too small and stress out your bride, it can always be taken in if you are motivated and lucky enough to lose weight before hand!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I can't imagine 6 weeks before is enough time for them to lose the weight they'd need to (judging from what you've said!) so I think you either need to step up the hunt for new ones or tackle the issue sooner

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics