Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Dedicated October 2022 East London

Bridesmaids- to have or not to have?

Ebony, 8 of February of 2021 at 15:05 Posted on Planning 0 8
Hi all,

I'll cut to the chase. My fiancé is having his closest and oldest friend as his best man, I initially didn't want to have bridesmaids to keep the cost down for everyone however, it may look a little odd and I feel It need to be balanced. The issue is I have 3 best friends with friendships spanning 20 odd years whilst the relationships with my half sisters have been somewhat strained and I really don't know how to make a decision. If I choose a friend it would have to be all three and if I only had my friends I'd upset my sisters. If I only had my sisters I'd feel like I'm betraying my friends so maybe I just have my oldest sister as a bridesmaid?Does anyone else have this dilemma? I've thought about other ways to honor my friends which I'll share in another post.

8 replies

Latest activity by Ebony, 15 of February of 2021 at 13:42
  • Jade
    Dedicated May 2022 Essex
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    I had similar problem I really want my little sister as MOH but have 2 older sisters that I’m not that as close with I also have a sister in law who I was bridesmaid for a couple years ago. In the end I decided to just have my younger sister and best friend as otherwise it was just going to get silly expensive! One idea is to include some of them by asking them to be your witnesses instead? At the end of the day it’s your day and should go with what you feel most happy with that’s what I did and just have to hope and pray nobody is hurt or offended good luck! x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

My husband had his best friend as best man at his wedding, while I didn't have any bridesmaids. No one seemed to think it was odd at all.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    My friend had her 5 best friends as bridesmaids but her groom didn’t have anyone. It didn’t look odd at all. Do what makes you happy.
  • E
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone. The consensus is do what makes me happy. Just needed a sounding board.
  • Expensivegoldcakes45327
    Beginner November 2021 Lancashire
    Expensivegoldcakes45327 ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I cannot stress enough, that it is yours and your fiances day. If you do not want bridesmaids then dont have them, it will look fine but if you choose to have them, then its your choice again who you have. True friends will understand and if you are closer to friends than sisters then your sisters will understand also. YOUR DAY your way. Hope you have a lovely wedding all the best Smiley smile

• Laura
    Savvy July 2022 Bristol
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    Hi! I had kind of the same situation. I never wanted bridesmaids. My other half is having 2 best men. My other has a sister and his mum though I would ask her to be my bridesmaid. Me and my other half had a massive argument and in the end he came round. Instead we are going to give his sister stuff to do through out the day. If you don't want bridesmaids don't feel you have to. There are plenty of jobs your friends can do. Let them give a reading and the ceremony it they can do a joint speach xx
  • Bethanie
    Curious March 2023 South West London
    Bethanie ·
    • Hide content
    If you're relationship with your sisters is strained, don't feel pressured to have them as bridesmaids. I have multiple siblings but only 1 is a bridesmaid. How can they all expect an invite if we don't talk of get along?

With my bridesmaids i kept it to 2, to also keep costs down. Im hoping we can have an honest conversation about them purchasing their own dresses. I doubt we'll get traditional bridesmaids dresses as they're expensive, and ASOS have more affordable options. Im sure they already have shoes and accessories they can wear. I hope we can do a zoom meeting were we do some online searching for things they would want to wear.
    We are going to be paying for the onsite accommodation so feel its fair that they chip in too.
    At the end of the day, this is your wedding and you do what you want to do. Think of how you will look back on the day. Don't make choices just to please others. Be selfish.
  • E
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Weddings can definitely test friendships and relationships. Your ideas sound pretty reasonable to me and ASOS do have some lovely dresses, even if you all can't agree you could pick a colour theme for everyone to wear.
    I've decided not to have bridesmaids as it's just not something I have the energy to organise (we're also going through IVF) so money, time and energy are precious at the moment.
    Hope the virtual dress shopping goes well xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics