Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bridesmaids - who pays for what?

16 August, 2011 at 17:14 Posted on Planning 0 23

Hi everyone! Just wondered what other people are doing in terms of bridesmaids and who's paying for what? Dress, shoes, jewellery, hotel room etc. My OH's ushers and best man will be paying for their own suit hire and contributing towards their room at our venue but I'm not sure about the bridesmaids - feel a bit rude asking them to pay (obv would never ask them to pay for the whole lot just to be clear).

None of them earn a fortune and 2 of the 3 don't live local so will need to stay over somewhere night before and after (and I only have a 1 bed flat).

23 replies

Latest activity by MandM90, 17 August, 2011 at 23:09
  • MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying for all or most of their dresses (depending on how expensive!), a piece of jewellery, and probably the hotel for the night before. Probably hair too, but I'm not having pro make up for me, so not really sure just to have it for them. ETA: there's 2 of them, and they will be keeping their dresses

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I have four BMs and have paid for dresses/alterations, necklace/bracelet/earrings, shoes, bags and for full makeup/hair stuff. Also, hotel room and facials for two of them.

• M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

I paid for half their dresses, their hair & headpiece and shoes. They paid for rest of dresses, make up (if they wanted it) and hotel (if they wanted to stay)

• X
    Beginner December 2011
    xmasbride11 ·
    • Hide content

I only have the one (my sister) and will be paying for her dress in full and up to £50 for shoes (she can pay the extra if a more expensive pair takes her fancy). I'm paying for her hair to be done too but I'll be doing her make up before doing my own.

Whatever jewellery/accessories she wants to wear she can buy herself, though I may get her a necklace as a gift before the wedding anyway.

In terms of accomodation, never thought of that to be honest! She has booked and paid for her room already!

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

I'm only having 1 BM.

Im paying for dress, shoes, jewellery, make up.

We both hairdressers so between us we will do each others hair and she staying with her family the night of the wedding at the hotel (they paying that themselves).

My BM is my auntie (she more like a big sister to me).

There no one else i wanted as a BM and we couldn't have afforded anyone else either.

x

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

They have paid for there own dresses. They will be paying for there own room too.

I have bought the headpiece, jewlery, shoes and whatever else they will need.

I'm not sure if they are to have a hair dresser but if they do i will pay for it. Depends on finance at the time as Oh has just lost his job

x

• foreverengaged
    Beginner February 2012
    foreverengaged ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 bridesmaid, have bought their dresses and will buy shoes, jewellery and pay for hair and make up on day, they will be paying for their room at the venue

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I am having 3 bridesmaids.

2 have offered to pay for their stuff,

but i think to keep it simple i am going to buy their dresses (although they can chose them) and then they can wear whatever shoes they like.

I will get jewelry for them, and no need for hotel rooms

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

I'm only having my sister, she was going to pay for everything but i got her dress for a tenner and her shoes for 15quid in the next sale so for that price ive paid. shes paying for the room at the hotel, and doesnt want anything doing with her hair so its been a relatively painless experience! xxx

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

I've paid for their dresses and accessories but left them to their own devices with regards to their hair and shoes! As long as their shoes are silver and match (plus they can be worn again!) I don't mind what they wear as long as they're comfortable same goes for their hair!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I have 3. They've bough their own dresses, and will be wearing whatever shoes they like. I'm buying jewellery and flowers and my parents have paid for the accommodation. They've said they're not fussed about having professional hair and make-up so they're doing that themselves.

• T
    Beginner June 2012
    TheDitzyOne ·
    • Hide content

I am buying dresses and bag (instead of flowers) and contributing towards shoes for 2 adults. Buying 2 fg dresses, bags and cardi's and 2 pageboy suits. Parents buying own shoes for little ones.

I get discount at work for hair, each person paying for their own (I have booked them into a priceband I know they'll be happy to pay though)

I will buy jewellery for adults as thank you gift.

• N
    Beginner August 2013
    nickya ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying for my bridesmaids dresses, and the jewellery, they will pay for their shoes and they will be paying for thier own hair, as I had to at my sisters wedding, saying that it is my sister, who will pay, my ex step niece that I spoil rotten still at 22 and my daughter so i will probably just pay for it all.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

I will be buying all their dresses, accesories and to have their hair done - they will be staying at my house the night before the wedding and live locally so can go home afterwards, with the exception of 1 who we have offered to go back to our house (OH sister).

• abbijay
    Beginner October 2011
    abbijay ·
    • Hide content

I have 3 and I have bought dresses and said I'd contribute max £50 towards shoes but they can pick what they like so they're comfortable, as long as they're fairly flat. I think I'll treat them to jewellry on the morning, just because otherwise one will end up with enormous, ridiculous earrings in a multitude of colours!

We're paying for hair and make up on the day, again so one doesn't end up in turquoise eyeliner with an olive green dress, but SIL2B asked me the other day about "when will we be having our hair and make up trials?" I said, "if you want it that's fine we can arrange a weekend for you to visit but are you happy to pay for your own trial?" At an extra £50-70 each to trial I thought that was a bit much! She hasn't asked me since...

We're putting them up the night before at my parents house and will be feeding them (Thai take out and egg/sausage butties for breakfast) but they have to sort their own hotels the night of the wedding.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My BMs are my niece and my son, and I'm paying for everything except my niece's underwear. I've also bought a tux for my nephew (usher). I'm not paying for hotel rooms though. My niece will either stay at my house the night before or she'll be dropped off early in the morning.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I gave them £100 budget each for a dress. My sis found one that was £125 so we paid that and she's got her own shoes, accessories etc. My other bridesmaid bought a dress for £25 (!!) so I've bought her shoes and jewellery too. I'm paying for their hair to be done on the day but we're all doing our own make up and sorting own tan, nails etc. My sis will go home the night of the wedding as she lives in the same town but my other bridesmaid is paying for her own hotel room (£30 I think)

My bridesmaid kind of set the standard when she got married a few years ago as she paid for all of our outfits but we sorted own rooms and beauty stuff.

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 4 grown up bridesmaids and I gave them £100 each for their dresses. It's fair to say they've gone over budget so I've told them they'll have to buy their own shoes and accessories and if they want hair and make up they'll have to pay for that too. Two of them live locally and we'll be putting the other two up at my parents' house the night before the wedding but I hadn't even thought to pay for the hotel on the night of the wedding. They would be guests at the wedding even if they weren't my bridesmaids so I don't think it's necessary to fork out for that!

It is difficult - all the books I read said that bridesmaids should pay for their own dresses but none of mine seem to have read the same books as me! I don't mind but I can't splash out on the little extras as a result.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

My BM is paying for her own dress but I think that is fair since she is allowed to wear whatever she likes. The colour scheme is ivory and gold but she has insisted on coral and navy. But as long as she's happy I'm staying ️?️

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

We paid for dresses, hair, makeup, hotel room, accessories. They used own shoes! Cost a bomb but I didn't want people to have to fork out loads to be able to be part of it. I never considered asking them to pay!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics