Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2014

Brighton and Worthing registry offices anyone?

redsunflower25, 26 of July of 2013 at 10:47 Posted on Planning 0 14

As title... has anyone got hitched in either?

Any pics?

We are back round to idea of reg' office and knees up at home and wondering what these places are like. If either has a bit of character or just a standard room?

There will only be 8 of us, incl us.

Thanks!

14 replies

Latest activity by redsunflower25, 31 of July of 2013 at 09:09
  • M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I looked at all of them in the area online but we've gone for all in one hotel venue now. I think the nicest is the big room in Brighton - The Regency room. A friend of mine got married a couple of years ago in Brighton and had a really good experience but it was before I knew her so I didn't see it!!

There's loads of info on the website include a virtual tour http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/community-and-life-events/births-deaths-and-marriages/ceremonies-brighton-town-hall

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I've not been to Worthing but went to a Civil Partnership in Brighton Registry Office last year and it was lovely. Quite a good sized room (probably about 30 or 40 of us in there) with a U shaped table and seating round the edges of the room too. I'm not sure how many different ceremony rooms they have? The building was in a great location too - after the ceremony we all went round the corner to the Pitcher and Piano and there was a bit cordoned off for the wedding guests. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and that really made it, but it was a lovely day and a lovely ceremony too.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

There's also the Royal Pavilion too.

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyones replies, I just wondered what peoples experiences were like. I think Brighton is a possible at the moment, we had a look at Wiston House on thurs, lovely but a bit too grand for us. We are back to original idea of registry office and reception at home. We aren't big white wedding people ?

Pavilion might be option for some photos, not sure how I overlooked that!

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

We looked at Wiston House too and it is gorgeous but we just couldn't justify the price.

Have a look at the Brighton & Hove Registry office website, it's very informative and they have an online copy of the booklet you get that includes loads of venues with contact details. http://issuu.com/visitbrighton/docs/a7283_3948_weddings_ceremonies_web2013?e=4940885/1717906 is the booklet.

[View:http://issuu.com/visitbrighton/docs/a7283_3948_weddings_ceremonies_web2013?e=4940885/1717906:550:0]

The Pavillion is gorgeous but again expensive to hire. You can also marry on the bandstand on the seafront, which I really liked the idea of but we wanted to get married in spring and I didn't fancy chancing the weather! There are loads of options around Brighton and because the registry office is so central if you decided to have a meal or hire out a bar afterwards there's loads right there.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

The last time there were small numbers like this the couple we married at the Pavilion and then moved to one of the rooms at Hotel Du Vin.

But the Town Hall is actually closer to Hotel Du vin. I've heard the bandstand is pricey (if you find out it'll be interesting to know how much it is).

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

The registrar fees for band stand alone push it out of our budget... I checked a while back as would have loved an outdoor ceremony. ?

I emailed the Old Ship hotel yesterday and they have given us a good quote for a small reception in the cellar function room, we are going to go have a look soon. Will report back. The only thing was we were given quote of meal etc that started at 7pm... I'm not adverse to a later wedding but what will we do all day before?! Has anyone had a late wedding, what did you do?

The pavilion prices again were way out of our league, maybe we should start playing the lottery! Would be beautiful though. Hoping we could still have some pic in the grounds though.

Finally I think we are getting a bit of an idea instead of going round in circles.

• H
    Beginner August 2013
    heleneb ·
    • Hide content

There's no registry office in Worthing any more (at least not one you can get married in, think you can still register births/deaths at Centenary House) - Crawley is the nearest in West Sussex!

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

This is new, ?

http://www.westsussex.gov.uk/living/births_marriages_and_deaths/marriages_and_civil_partnershi/where_to_hold_your_ceremony/in_a_county_council-owned_cere/worthing_ceremony_room.aspx

Know its only just opened but wondered if anyone had seen it etc yet. I wasn't very enamored by the picture though, not when comparing to Brighton etc.

• L
    Beginner September 2013
    lidbif ·
    • Hide content

What about The Dome in Worthing? two lovely rooms depending on the size of your guest list.

• H
    Beginner August 2013
    heleneb ·
    • Hide content

Ooh a snazzy new wedding ceremony room for Worthing! I obviously haven't been keeping up with the local news very well since moving east to Brighton.

Centenary House where the registry office is, is possibly the least romantic place in the world....

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=centenary+house+worthing&sa=X&biw=1366&bih=517&tbm=isch&tbnid=S0Fz9riCUvHTxM:&imgrefurl=http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Centenary_House,_Durrington_(Geograph_Image_019179_b9627b87).jpg&docid=4zh0DI4rCwwTEM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Centenary_House,_Durrington_(Geograph_Image_019179_b9627b87).jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=Otz3UfjgK-2Y0QX1hYC4BA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=7&page=1&tbnh=160&tbnw=237&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:82&tx=125&ty=71

Alternatively Field Place is very nice - council owned/run manor house licensed for weddings with a converted barn for recpetions. My brother got married there in June. Will be a lot more pricey than registry offce though as you will have to cough up for the registars to come half a mile down the road to conduct your ceremony

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

I liked the Dome but we have a small guest list... and the OH has bit of vertigo... went to the top of the Dome and he promptly barged me out the way to go back down again ☹️

Think Brighton reg office will be the place. I've done rough costs list and our very small budget is maxed out... Hoping I can squeeze a little more out of it for the dress I'd like. ?

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I got all excited thinking we could have it all in Worthing... then saw the picture... I know I said I didn't want too flashy but blimey... That put it into perspective.

Yes there are loads of places we liked the look of but to pay an extra for registrar when we can save that an put it towards our honeymoon seems daft to me... but then I'm very tight with money...

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I was looking again at the Brighton & Hove registry office website and if you have 8 or less guests and get married on Mon-Thurs it's so much cheaper and it looks like a nice room. There are also loads of nice places for pictures inside and outside the town hall.

The Register Office is the smaller of the two rooms and has a capacity of eight maximum guests. Simple ceremonies may be held in the Register Office Monday -Thursday for a fee of £49 to include a certificate. A non-refundable deposit of £30 is required when booking the ceremony date. This fee is deducted from the total fee due.

Like the Regency Room, the Register Office is decorated with heritage colours, antique furniture and crystal chandeliers and is ideal for smaller more intimate ceremonies.

• R
    Beginner June 2014
    redsunflower25 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mary, thats looks great, we were originally thinking a Thurs to save on cash so this would be great, we only have 6 guests too. Will look into this asap. Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics