Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bring on the 4am projectile vomiting... I'm going onto night shift!

28 of October of 2013 at 16:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Having not worked a night shift it about two years, I've been rota-d onto night shift for the whole of November. Grim.

So, night shift workers, what are your top tips for avoiding the 4am cold sweats?!

13 replies

Latest activity by Cilla, 29 of October of 2013 at 13:30
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Why do you vomit at 4am? I've never worked a night shift so this is a mystery to me!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I never knew that! Good luck with the night shifts.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I have never worked shifts but I think that this would really screw up my body clock. Good luck for your nights!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

This is interesting, never heard of that before. Night shifts sound really tiring, I imagine its hard to sleep in the day.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

What do you do again, RR?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Good luck RR - I'd really struggle with night shifts

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain, I hate night shifts. I probably don't have any actual helpful tips but I can tell you how mine usually pan out. I find the worst effect it has on me is my digestion, I get so bloated and gassy and constipated (sorry for the TMI). Probably because I eat *** because who gets to eat proper meals when you're the only nurse on the ward for 12 hours and aren't eating at normal people time? I tend to fluctuate a lot between hot and cold throughout the night, cardigan on one minute then off the next, my HCAs think I'm hormonal haha. I need to keep myself moving so I have a walk around once an hour even on a (the Q word) night, I tip toe around and shine my pen torch at people to check their resps just to keep me awake and ease my night time paranoia and then grab a brew on the way back. I leave the big tasks like checking the CDAs and crash trolley until about 6am because I'm sad and I need that to look forward to because it signals the shift is almost over.

Good luck!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Sounds horrible, my OH works some night shifts but doesn't get this.
    Good luck hope it's not a bad night for you!

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

A big good luck to you, why have they put you on an entire months worth???

I feel your pain, I passionately hated nights and it's one of the reasons I moved to community, some people thrive on it though, which are you?

Sweets and the subsequent sugar rugs usually helped us with a 4am slump. I think with a months worth of nights though your body will get used to it and it'll get easier and easier, here's hoping.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I drink lots of water and try to squeeze some fruit in. Some hard boiled sweets are sometimes handy. I also dress in layers as the temperature can change quite bit. If l had the time then l would get in some toilet visits -there is something about nights that gives me an upset stomach! I hope the month goes quickly, when do you next have to do nights after this?

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I've not done nights for ages but when I did they used to make me ill. Red bull and sweets would help

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics