Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

Bringing the wedding forward - advice please!

I-go-by-many-names, 11 of August of 2014 at 22:19 Posted on Planning 0 9

I'm freaking out a little and would really appreciate some advice. At the weekend my fiancé and I talked about bringing the wedding forward, from August 2016 to early next year. This is mainly because my mum has a degenerative disease and we want to make sure she is well enough to be there. Although we don't know what will happen with her health if we leave it to our current date it is less likely that having her there will be a reality.

So today I rang our venue, which along with a celebrant is the only thing we have booked. I also have my dress. They have offered us Friday 3rd April (good Friday and a bank holiday) and also Saturday 4th April. My first question for you all is which one would you go for? I'm amazed we have this choice as I thought Easter weekend was quite popular for weddings. Do you think if we went for Friday we would have trouble booking suppliers? Do suppliers and togs work on bank holidays? Also just some general advice on how not to panic and worry as I'm feeling all sorts of emotions right now happiness and excitement, but it's sad circumstances and I'm usually well organised and plan things in advance, now we may only have 8 months to plan our wedding!

9 replies

Latest activity by Sambarine, 12 of August of 2014 at 17:50
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear that. It must a difficult time for you on top of the usual wedding stressors. On a positive note, it can all be done. I organised my whole wedding in 3mths, from the other side of the world!

Being Easter, you might find some family/friends have holidays planned already, so I'd suggest sending STD cards as soon as you book the date in. I would suggest ringing a few TOGS/florist etc to get a feel for whether they would be open on good Friday and if they add a surcharge.

Mon 6th is also a bank holiday, so its a 4 day weekend, so I'd choose the Saturday. You get the Friday to prepare, sat wedding, then 2 days to recover before people go back to work.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your mum. I've just had a client move her wedding from May 2016 to Aug 2015 due to family illness.

I don't think there's a difference in supplier terms between good Friday and the Saturday. I'm a photographer and my rates would be the same for either day.

I find that mid March is popular for weddings but Easter is less popular... no idea why. It could be that Easter often clashes with the school holidays so venues are more expensive then.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to here about your mum. 8 months is loads of time to plan a wedding so try not to stress. Get the big things booked and let everyone know the date and you'll be fine.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

At the moment my worry is that we won't find a decent photographer or band. I also worry about our guests not being able to make it as it is quite short notice.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly what I did. We got engaged in january and planned to get married in june next year. However, my nanna is unwell and it was important to us all that she's there, so we moved it to september. 8 months to plan a wedding! We now have 6 weeks to go and it really hasnt been too bad! You need to be organised (which it sounds like you are) but it can definitely be done. You have a big head start in having the dress and the venue, I would definitely say tog next as they get booked up early. I can't give advice on which day to go for, but I am very happy to help with everything else! :-) good luck, and lots of love to your mum x

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Talk to people. Sit down with a list of things/people/suppliers that are important to you and phone them, ask the question. You don't have to lock anything in, just give yourself some reassurance that you'll be able to do it.

Sorry about your mum xx

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

My current date twin!

Don't freak out as it is more than possible to do. I would go with the Saturday as more people are likley to have this day off work as I know some people still have to work bank holidays. Then it is a case of making lists of what needs to be done. You have your dress so that is one worry off the list and looks like the venue will be ok so that another big tick! Break it down bit by bit and start with the most important to you first and the rest will fall into place! You will find a band and tog as it is still a good few months to go so dont stress!

I am so sorry to hear about your mum, it is lovely you are moving it and are able to do so ? xxx

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely doable. When I got married the first time, my dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer literally a couple of weeks after we'd got engaged. We hadn't booked anything but my parents had looked at one venue, which they had put a provisional hold on for us until we could go and see it. When we got the news, we brought the wedding forward a year, which gave us a few days over 6 months to plan everything. We couldn't get the venue my parents liked (but got a choice of August Saturday dates on our second choice venue!) and we couldn't get our first choice car, but with hindsight I actual preferred the one we ended up with anyway! Apart from that, everything we wanted we were able to book - including photographer - and I had no problems sorting out a dress, even though it was another 6 weeks after the bombshell before I even went looking. We did the right thing bringing it forward; Dad died 11 days after the wedding.

In your situation, I think I'd go for the Saturday. As someone else said, it gives you the Friday for your preparations. However, Fridays are often cheaper, so if cost is a consideration then that may influence your decision.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Melancholie I am sorry that you lost your dad but how amazing that you were able to have him as part of your day. That is what we're hoping by bringing ours forward. I spoke to my MOH today who won't have that chance as her dad died this year, so sad and we both had a cry down the phone to one another. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed and I'm trying to get my fiancé to do research for the wedding whilst I try to manage my Mam's very complicated life. He is looking at photographers and I think we are almost 100% decided on going for the Saturday wedding rather than Friday as it means those who need to travel hundreds of miles will have the bank holiday Friday to do so. Thanks everyone for your advice and kind words.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

I think Easter is less popular because many churches don't allow weddings in Holy Week - you need to check with your celebrant that they are available Easter weekend. I agree with others that you should pick Saturday - I am getting married on the Saturday of a bank holiday next year, and have only come across one supplier who charged a surcharge for it, and she was a MUA. noone else that i've approached have charged more for it being a holiday weekend. good luck! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics