Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Helenia
Beginner September 2011

British Gas Homecare - grrr!

Helenia, 27 of January of 2014 at 09:42 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

Getting very annoyed with these guys now. We've had trouble with our washing machine for months, and they've been out a couple of time but it's only ever been a temporary fix. A couple of weeks before Christmas our oven broke too, so we called them out to come and fix both. The first time they only sent someone for the washing machine, who claimed to have no knowledge of the requested job for the oven, and didn't fix the washer anyway. The second time, they sent two people - one for the washing machine and a gas engineer for the oven. Our oven is electric. The washing machine man didn't have the right parts so said we needed to book for him to come back. H rang them again and they were very apologetic, promised that all their electrical engineers could fix both appliances, and promised that they had put both jobs on the same ticket so that whoever came out next time would do both.

He's arrived today, and claims no knowledge of the oven job. He even showed me his computer thing which just said "washing machine," and he says he's fully booked all day and can't add on the extra job. H rang them again and they didn't seem very apologetic or bothered, just said "Oh, we'll rebook the oven job." He's already had to take 2 days off work, and it's just lucky that I'm on a scheduled day off today (I worked the weekend) otherwise it would be another day's leave down the drain. They can't send another person out today. It's been more than 6 weeks now with no oven and a barely functional washing machine. Bunch of muppets!

Sorely tempted to just find a local person to come out and try to fix it, but he Homecare is organised through our landlord, and I think he wants to keep everything under one company for now. Grrrrrrrr.

19 replies

Latest activity by Ryan, 7 of September of 2021 at 11:30
  • Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

Eeeugh what appalling service! How infuriating.

We have a British Gas Homecare agreement too (I did NOT know it covered stuff other than the boiler - must read my mail properly...) Anyway when we wanted to get the boiler serviced they failed to show up not once, but twice. After a massive rant I was put through to a manager who acknowledged the error and sent me a cheque for 25 quid as we had wasted holiday etc. I know that's hardly going to rock the world but at least it was a gesture. I don't know how you left it but it might be worth asking to speak to a manager? It might get them moving a bit quicker if nothing else.

Hope it gets fixed soon

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

It gets even better...

Washing machine man was here for over 2 hours, fitted multiple new parts, eventually told me with great triumph that it was fixed. He left, I put a load of washing on (H just came back from skiing yesterday so there are a lot of very stinky clothes waiting!) and it flooded the f***ing kitchen! He's made it bloody worse!

Rang their customer service line again, but he's already gone onto another job so apparently "can't" be sent back to fix his f***-up. Will be writing angry e-mails later, and probably telling our landlord to cancel his bloody contract because it's useless.

• Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

OMG!!! Poor you! I'm out of suggestions... other than ? Probably a bit early mind.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I would be raising merry hell by now! That's ridiculous!

I'm not one for holding back if something like this happens, I'm more than happy to ring them and tell them how annoyed I am. I'm always polite and never shout but definitely would always let them know how useless they are. Especially if your H is having days off to wait for them to sort it.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Kick off with them. Now. Someone will be able to come back out.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I am rubbish at kicking off!

I got quite cross with the girl on the phone, but I know it's not actually her fault that her company are useless. I asked to speak to a manager but apparently there wasn't one available. Am in the process of composing an angry e-mail.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Just say exactly that! Say you know it's not her fault but that this is now a situation that needs sorting asap and that you're sorry but you won't be hanging up without speaking to a manager.

Send the email too, but that's not going to get urgent action.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Do you want me to see if I can find a number for them?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've tried a couple of different ones, but they all just seem to go through to the call centre. I think H is trying to ring them from work too. If you have any magic lines to get through to someone more senior that would be fab though!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrmini is working on it.

Failing that have you started far harassing them on twitter?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what l do in these kind of situations. I then refuse to get off the line until l speak to supervisor or a manager. They have been wasting your time and giving terrible customer service. He can go back but he doesn't want to and / or his manager doesn't think it's a priority.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not on Twitter. Is it worth signing up just to have a go at them, or will it look suspicious if we have no other posts?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

What a nightmare, I would be going mental and demanding they come back right now to fix and having a word with the landlord. I get really stroppy when I have t deal with broken appliances.

How was skiing? Where did you go?

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit late to this but, when you do them get out again, do not let them leave until both appliances are tested - by yourself! I'd stand there with a load of washing ready to pop it in! Same for the oven. Hope you get it sorted....

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They tend to reply to most things so I would still try it.

mrmini is useless and diddnt get me the customer relations number. I will see if anyone I know in cs can help me tomorrow- I know there is a secret number you can call, I used to use it all the time back in the day.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't go, it was just H - he went on a work trip to Mayrhofen. I'm going to La Tania in March.

We have written a very grumpy e-mail detailing just how much their incompetence has cost us. If they don't sort it on Weds then one of us will unleash hell on the phone...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Email the CEO- *****.******@********.**.**

normally gets things moving. If a call centre tells you there is no manager there they are lying. Keep on the phone until they get you one. In such a heavily regulated industry there has to be a formal complaints procedure and that normally covers the right to escalate.

here is there chp as well - http://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/contactus-personal-details/complaints/homecare.html

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Well, they finally got their arses at least a bit in gear today. Oven is sorted, and they fiddled around with the washing machine for a bit before finally agreeing to condemn it, so our landlord will buy a new one. Still means we have no way to wash our clothes though, so starting to investigate launderettes and/or buying lots more pants and socks till this is sorted...

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

New washing machine coming on Wednesday, woohoo! Had to go to the launderette this weekend - it's the first time I'd ever been to a commercial one and it was all a bit intimidating. £4.60 per wash as well - when I was at uni there was nearly a riot when it went up from £1 to £1.20!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics