Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

TwoDucks
Beginner December 2014

Broken Ankle....Wedding in 3 weeks!! :( What would you do?

TwoDucks, 2 of November of 2014 at 12:51 Posted on Planning 0 34

Hi Hitchers,

I went on my hen weekend on Friday and before the fun could even start I tripped down the last step of the stairs and have managed to break my ankle I'm several places!! Aside from the agony I'm now going to be in a cast for six weeks, non weigh bearing so crutches or wheelchair are the only options.

We're obviously devastated and I spend yesterday feeling like the world was crashing in, but now I've realised they aren't going to be able to magically make me better in three weeks, we've been talking about options:

1- Get married in 3 weeks as planned, friends and family would help and I'd have to use crutches to get around so no walking, dancing or moving out my chair really! Plus I'd have to have my dress changed as I've gone for a ballerina length dress. We couldn't have bridal suite as venue doesn't have a lift! Plus side we're married when we wanted to be and ultimately getting married is the most important thing to me. Just seems such a shame that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it and everyone else will be worried about me.

2- Postpone the wedding. We'd be looking between Christmas & NY or all the way to end of Jan as venue is booked up for other dates. Heartbreaking thinking of waiting that long but at least I'd be fit & well hopefully.

3- Get married in 3 weeks as planned but just a v small ceremony with our close family & best friends, no reception just maybe dinner and stay in a hotel for the night, I'd be in the cast and on crutches still. Then have a blessing and reception end of Dec/Jan with all our guests as before. Obviously not ideal but means we'll be married this month which is all we want, then we still get our blessing/reception when I can walk.

honeymoon obviously has to be moved whatever we decide as I can't walk on sand or get it wet, not ideal for the Maldives! I'm trying to be proactive and positive rather than crying into my hospital pillow which is what I feel like doing!!

What would you do if it was you?

xx

34 replies

Latest activity by pipkins17, 7 of November of 2014 at 16:23
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I'd do 1 - but have a big party perhaps in the spring when you are fully healed so you can dance etc.

Your dress will be fine - I'd walk down the aisle albeit on crutches and sit down where necessary. I'd perhaps have a wheelchair on standby if absolutely necessary. It wil make for great conversation in days, weeks and years to come. xx

eta which I should have said first off - how awful and you must be devastated. Really feel for you and hope it gets better soon. xx

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think the first issue is do you have wedding insurance?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Okay. I had many surgeries on my hip in my 20s and spent just short of two years on crutches, some of which was non weight bearing, so I feel your pain. Here's what I would say:

1. You say you couldn't use your bridal suite cos of lack of lift. Haven't the hospital taught you to use your crutches on stairs? Obviously I couldn't avoid stairs for 2yrs so I learned to do them pretty well. It's really not that difficult once you get the knack.

2. How easy is it to have your dress changed and can you afford to do it without bankrupting yourself?

3. You can still enjoy yourself. I went to restaurants and clubs with my crutches (I was at the Hacienda 5 days before it closed on them!) Yes you will be tired. Yes you will get achy and may need a stash of painkillers (I now have arthritis in same hip and use a walking stick sometimes so this is standard for me). Yes you won't be able to drink much (sips of champagne probably won't hurt) or dance, but you can still talk to all your guests, eat your meal, and people will understand and come to you. The only thing that might be a serious bummer is no first dance.

What I'm saying is I'd go ahead as planned. You will have to do some re-thinking, but trust me, this isn't the end of the world. You might be surprised at how accommodating people will be. Don't be too upset Smiley smile

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

First of all.....ouch!!

I would go ahead as planned. Not ideal but it is def what I would do. I had a nasty ski accident last year, resulting in surgery and many months on crutches. I refused to cancel any of our plans for things we had arranged. not as big as our wedding, granted, but I just wanted to carry on as normal and just adapted.

you will still have an amazing day....and it will be a wedding your guests will remember!!

• Benjaminsmum
    Beginner November 2014
    Benjaminsmum ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to the team at the fracture clinic? Is there not a special boot or support you can wear for the day?

• km329
    Savvy August 2021
    km329 ·
    • Hide content

Option 1 for me too but im VERY stuburn and refuse to let anything change my plans!

the support boot sounds like a good plan if they will allow you to do it....

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

Aw what a shame! You must be very disappointed.

Going against most of the responses so far but if it was me I would postpone the whole thing (assuming you have wedding insurance). I love music and dancing though and one of the things I'm most looking forward to is once all the fuss is over just having a good boogie with fiancé and friends! I think for the sake of a few months I would wait so I could have the day I wanted rather than being in pain and limited. But of course you will do what's right for you xx

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

The only thing that could have made me make the decision to postpone my big day would have been the death of a close family member!

i would definately go ahead with my plans and marry the love of my life! I make a damn good effort having a boogie with my crutches or in the wheelchair!

Could always have a party in a years time to celebrate first anniversary!

its it really worth postponing after months and months of planning!

yes movement will be restricted you may not be able to dance as much as you'd like but the most important thing in all this is the marraige that comes out of it!

you'll have many more dancing years ahead of you!

im sure you'd be able to manage a first dance with a bit of support from your hubby! Get practising! X

• victoriahbell
    Beginner April 2015
    victoriahbell ·
    • Hide content

I'd go for option 1 too, I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and I'm in the middle of chemo so I'll be almost bald still on my wedding day in April. Yes it's not what I had planned for my wedding day but it will still be an awesome day and I get to marry the man of my dreams! I say go for it, get married as planned and jazz up your crutches with some ribbons or lace!

• GiraffeBride
    Beginner May 2018
    GiraffeBride ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for option 1 here! You've done so much work and it seems a shame to have it go to waste - you can still enjoy the day (whilst painkillered up to the max!) sitting down. First dance may not also be impossible if your H2B can hold you up and sway you around for a couple of minutes!

As a separate point to consider - you say that you will be in a cast for six weeks and that therefore you should be healed for a ceremony at the end of Dec/beginning of Jan.... I don't want to give you bad news whilst it's all so fresh, but as someone who went through a similar thing (skiing accident/wrecked knee) it may not work like that. Even with a straightforward break you won't walk properly for a a few weeks after it's out of a cast and no way will you be dancing! If it is broken in several places then it will probably take a good couple of months to start to feel ok after the cast is off (if that's in 6 weeks!), so if you are wanting to be able to walk/dance at your wedding then you may need to postpone it until at least February. Maybe have a chat with your doctor/a physio about when they think you'd be healed? Otherwise if it's all arranged, I'd say go for it! And be married Smiley smile Then have a giant party when you can boogie into the night!

So sorry that this has happened to you. You have all my sympathies Smiley sad

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I would see what the loss would be and if none or not much move it (unless the exact date is very special)

vs.

the cost to keep it on now where as you said you would need to change dress, shoes, rooms, honeymoon etc... anyway

I broke mine a while ago (several years actually) and I apparently dont have very good bones as I was in a cast for nearly 6 months and crutches for twice that, I got pretty good at getting around especially up and down stairs but I wouldn't like to be like that at my wedding if it wasn't a permanent injury

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

My first thing would be to ask myself some questions so what does my insurance cover (if you have it)?

Do you have a make do and mend attitude so if you stay with your original date nothing spoils it so ok you have to use crutches but it will still be the happiest day of your life? For some people they imagine things to be a certain way and if it's not that then they have a miserable day. Personally if you are likely to fall into the later then I would postpone as otherwise you will look back on your wedding day with a bit of a heavy heart. If you are the first then you will have fun look back on your photos still with great memories and smile.

Only you guys can decide what's right for you as a couple.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Option one.... And then decorate the hell out of the crutches!

At the end of the day you'll be married which is what it's all about although I do understand you being disappointed.

Is there no way you could put a little weight on that foot if whoever walks you down the isle acts as your crutch and hubby acts as crutch going back up the isle? Then use them the rest of the day.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Option 1 for me with decorated crutches. For me the legal part is the most important part of the day and the reception etc is for everyone else.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Oh you poor thing. What terrible timing as well as the pain.

For me, with 3 weeks to go till the wedding I wouldn't be changing any plans, so I'd go with option 1 - especially with the advice you have had from ID.

Having said that I totally get how disappointing it must be that you feel you won't be able to participate as fully in your own day as you had imagined. As you are postponing your honeymoon till you are better perhaps you could give the dress a second outing and have a 'coming home' party where you can dance your socks off!

......that'd be a mix of option 1 and option 3 then.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Sorry no advice as I have no idea what I would choose but just wanted to say sorry to hear this has happened. I hope you're not in too much pain x

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content

Ouch that sounds really painful! And soemthing i'm dreading happening to me, as i am completely accident prone!! For me I'd carry on with the wedding! Because I am clumsy, this is actually something we've discussed!

To give you an idea, I fell down some steps at a waterfall in the Dominican Republic when i was 18, shattered the cartlidge in my knee, spent 3 days in a hospital where no-one spoke english, had an operation and woke up with my leg in a full cast - hip to toe! my parents had booked a surprise swim with dolphins for the last day - which i couldn't do being in a wheelchair! had to book a row of seat on the airoplane on the way home to sit sideways for 9+hours etc etc... I've been injured on most family holidays so this is just something else we can look back at and laugh about! SO i think some of my family would actually be disapointed if i didn't do something on my hen/wedding day!

in 3 weeks you may be able to manage the pain a lot better, and i think now for a lot of injuries they encourage you to be as weight bearing as possibble to keep movement to the joints etc. This will all be very raw for you at the moment, but don't make a decision until you have all the facts!

You'll be used to crutches by then - and i guarantee they will be involved in the party?! how many people want to have a go on crutches!

Also being on crutches won't stop you getting up stairs, it might not be easy, but it is definately doable!!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Hey, Twoducks....how are you feeling today?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Apart from the big day, does this affect honeymoon? Anything booked? s this delayable without cost?

Broke both wrists and hand at same time a few years ago...not good...

Peter

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

Thank you all so much for your replies and kind words, really interesting to hear what others think, plus it gave me something to read this morning on my third day in hospital!

Can't reply to everyone individually but just a bit more info.......it's quite a nasty break so I'm still in hospital, they were going to operate to pin and plate it but they've managed to manipulate it for the second time (with gas & air thank god) so it's back in place with a new cast on. I'm hoping to go home tomorrow but it's definitely no weight bearing for the next 4 weeks minimum. The consultant has said there is a chance at 4 weeks they could change it to a weigh bearing boot but not before then, and it will be 6 weeks before I am free Of anything.

We're almost 90% certain we're going to postpone now, the venue have been really good and are coming back to us with some alternatives as are some of our other suppliers. Of course as mentioned above the most important thing is we get married he's the love of my life and I don't want to wait a second longer than I have to to marry him. But we've put the best part of a year and £15,000 into planning and as it's a temporary injury (crossing fingers & praying but that's the current diagnosis) and it looks like we can move things without loosing too much extra money.

I really admire some of your positivity, lots of you have had awful experiences of your own. I am really trying to look on the bright side!

Xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry! You poor thing.

Going by what you've said about suppliers being understanding - I think I'd postpone. I'm sure that if you went ahead you'd have a fabulous day but I don't think you'll regret postponing either.

Of course the most important thing is marrying your fiance but if that was the only consideration, none of us would spend all the time and money we do planning our weddings! So don't feel bad about wanting to postpone - I think I would do the same in your position Smiley smile

I'd probably do something on the day that was going to be your wedding day (something sitting down Smiley laugh) and get some pictures to record the day - it's all part of the wedding story, after all!

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    missgeebee ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear you are still in hospital! I hope you are starting to feel more positive, and that whatever you decide you feel better soon!

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Just to update, I'm home now with weekly appointments at the fracture clinic. We've postponed the wedding until 23/12/14 as we've managed to do it without costing us anything. The consultant has said all going well the cast should come off w/c 8/12 and they'll give me some extra physio to prep for the wedding. As with any injury there's a risk it wont be 100% but there's a much, much better chance than in 3 weeks, which they've said I wouldnt be able to weight bear even for the day. As the consultant said, I understand it's your wedding, but this is your foot!!

Honeymoon has been moved to mid Jan Smiley smile

So the countdown has gone back but at least it's not too far away. Please send quick healing vibes! xx

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Glad to hear you've managed to move the date without missing out, and just think, this'll be the best Christmas ever! Smiley smile

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

That's a really good result! You must be very pleased, all things considered! So, now you just have to do as you are told for the next few weeks. Do all your physio, but equally don't try and do too much too soon.

Definitely do something nice on your original wedding date, and look forward to the next few weeks. You'll still be having this Christmas as a smug married, and even better will have the honeymoon still to look forward too!!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds really great and also good to see you're keeping this all in perspective. So many ( ie me) wouldn't be able to. Glad it's working out so well all things considered. Now just get healed! xx

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies Smiley smile

Yes have been really lucky, all our suppliers have been amazing (bar one typically who we only booked last week!) and changed without charge, as we're changing to a weekday we've been lucky that they're all free and we're not losing anything.

The honeymoon was a big cost to move as it was so close and we had bought insurance yet (I know, I know) so we thought we were going to have to downgrade but my family have stepped in and paid the difference for us, which is so amazing and means so much.

I am trying to keep it in perspective yes, the lady opposite me in hospital had lost one of her legs, so I don't feel I'm entitled to moan too much! It's going to be a bit of a different day to what we were planning but hopefully still amazing. I've just got to get over the absolute frustration of having this poxy cast on and not being able to do things! It is purple and sparkly though, so that's something!

• TwoDucks
    Beginner December 2014
    TwoDucks ·
    • Hide content

Ok, but it doesn't pick up the glitter I'm afraid!

• pipkins17
    Beginner May 2015
    pipkins17 ·
    • Hide content

Keep a stash of painkillers handy...Bling up the crutches - bling up a wheelchair as well for dancing later...and bling up the plastercast.....bring this wedding on!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics