Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pompey
Beginner June 2012

Broken Finger?

Pompey, 28 March, 2012 at 09:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

How do I know if it's broken? It's swollen, a funny shape and is painful (not unbearable), but no bruising! Bent it back AND got a Netball on the end of it last night...

8 replies

Latest activity by Pompey, 28 March, 2012 at 18:49
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

There is no difference in medical terms between a break and a fracture. We call everything a fracture, from a hairline crack to a multi-fragment mess. Sometimes the tiny cracks can be really troublesome.

Anyway Paula, if it's a funny shape and painful, get yourself off to A&E/minor injuries unit for them to have a look! Most of these injuries (I've bent my fingers back playing netball/hockey several times) are just ligament sprains, but fractures are definitely possible and if it's a funny shape you wouldn't want it to stay that way.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

St Mary's minor injury unit is on my way home from work so I'll pop in. I cant straighten it at all at the moment and it seems to have gotten more painful overnight.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I broke my pinky finger about 8 years ago, and went to see my GP. She told me that there's no actual treatment for it- didn't need to be reset or anything, but just taped to the next finger for stability or a finger brace bought from a drug store. It was funny once it healed, though, as for a while I had trouble bending it after it had been straight for so long!

Sometimes these tiny little fractures are just inconvenient and painful, but there's not much a doctor can do. I hope it's not broken, though!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Without wishing to freak Paula out or anything, if it's a funny shape, it needs to be seen. If there is a fracture, it could be displaced and that might need re-setting. If it's not displaced, you're right that all they can do is buddy strap it, but if there's a deformity it may need more than that.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Hopefully I'll be seen quickly. I wasnt worried as it doesnt hurt that much and I can still use it.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Was gonna say pp,get thee to st Marys,you wait a lot less than qa.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Not broken! Hoorah! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics