Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N

Brother in law doing father of bride role - what do you say in the speech?

nicolaellen, 25 September, 2012 at 22:54 Posted on Planning 0 2

My sister is getting married this Saturday and my husband is giving her away as our father died just under 2 years ago.

I am 15 years older than my sister and my husband has known her since she was about 3. We have no male relatives living any longer so my husband has been called on as the only adult male in the family to give away my baby sister.

My question is, are there any examples for speeches that the stand in for a deceased fathers should make.

My husband has been thinking about the speech for months ( he is normally very good at speeches) and apart from the usual thank you etc etc this is proving a tough one.

Any body that has been to a wedding without a father of the bride or been in this position and can help please give us some tips.

2 replies

Latest activity by davidrendle, 23 November, 2012 at 11:40
  • D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be nice to tell her how proud her dad would have been of her and how honoured he feels to be given the role of giving her away, then take it back up to light hearted type speech?

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

I agree- he just needs to speak from the heart, and ignore any conventions- its really just a chance to talk about her as a person, her qualities etc, and to give thanks to those who have helped bring the day together Smiley smile Matt - Foden Photography

• D
    davidrendle ·
    • Hide content

The main duty of the 'Father of the Bride' is to propose a toast of 'health and happiness to the happy couple'. Having known your sister for many years, he should be able to say some nice things about her and share a few funny anecdotes. Your husband may feel it appropriate to say how honoured he is to fill this role on your sister's big day and he should welcome the groom to the family.

(I am happy to help - see the advertisers on this site).

David

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics