Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner February 2008

Budget £500 -- small wedding venue - anyone know one?

bunnyme, 25 of June of 2010 at 11:02 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hope you can help. Found out I am having a baby so urgently need to get married in the next few months. I am in the midlands but prepared to travel anywhere. My budget it around £500 in total (for registrar as well).

I want to keep it really really small (max 6 guests) because I will have my main wedding once the baby is here and hopefully in a nice place.

Thanks for your advice.

12 replies

Latest activity by Sorbet, 3 of May of 2016 at 18:39
  • J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

Loads of nice register offices in Worcestershire. Malvern is lovely and takes 35 guests https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/registration-services/getting-married/registration-offices.aspx The fees should be around £150. Then book a table in a local pub/restaurant and go for a meal.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a really good idea - if you can find a nice registry office it makes it a lot cheaper as you don't have to pay for the registrar to come to the venue. My sister got married in Kidderminster registry office, and that was really nice.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely opt for a registry office wedding as they are the least expensive.

Some offices charge extra if you are not living in their patch (e.g. under a different council) so your first task would be to seek out your local office - via you councils website. It's cheaper to get married on a weekday than friday or saturday.

TBH It doesn't really matter what the office looks like as you can have pictures etc. taken in a local park / gardens / green area. Most offices will look the same on the inside so I would probably save money by using your local one which leaves more money to have a small buffet in a nice local pub.

There are lots of wedding dress sales on at the moment.

This should help...

Cost

In England and Wales, it costs £30 per person to give notice of intent to marry or register a civil partnership. A register office ceremony costs £40. A marriage certificate costs £3.50.

In Scotland, it costs £26 per person to give notice of intent to marry or register a civil partnership. A register office ceremony costs £46.50. A marriage certificate costs £8.50.

In Northern Ireland, it costs £15 per person to give notice of intent to marry or register a civil partnership. A register office ceremony costs:
    • Monday to Friday, 09.00 to 17:00: £25
    • Monday to Friday, 17:00 to 20:00: £87
    • Saturday, 09.00 to 17:00pm: £87
    • Sundays, Bank Holidays and all other times: £125.00
    A marriage certificate costs £5.50.

If you’re having a ceremony in approved premises other than a register office, you’ll be charged for the presence of the Registrar and for the building. Contact the register office and owners of the premises for exact costs.

If you’re having a religious ceremony in a Church of England or Church in Wales, check the fees with the vicar of the church you want to marry in.

If you’re having a ceremony in a religious building without an authorised person, you will be charged for a Registrar. Contact the register office for exact costs.

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

I think the registry office is the cheapest option, especially if you can find one with a small-ish ceremony room. It's worth having a look around a few and seeing what their prices are. Remember to factor in the £33.50 you both need to pay to give notice, plus whatever for the fees.

I know the local registry office to me has a cheaper price if you get married early in the morning, maybe that's something to consider?

Do you want to include clothes and rings in that price too? After food and drink, they were my next biggest expense.

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    bunnyme ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies, we have not got much money because of the baby.

I contacted https://www.rococogarden.org.uk/ and they came in at £600 plus I would need to pay the registrar which is £338.50 so that equals around £1k.

I think you are right about the registry office. I am in Worcester so Malvern looks good. What do you think about this one:

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=7848

£500 budget is just for getting married. My dress etc I will buy separately.

Looks quite nice?

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Your local ones looks lovely...I'd be going there! Plus there won't be extra fees for being outside of your town, and going further afield you will need to factor in hotels, transport etc. I think you could do a really lovely wedding for under £800 inc. everything

https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/community-and-living/registration-services/getting-married/registration-offices.aspx

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts are you based? Rococo garden is linked to my family! Small world.......

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    bunnyme ·
    • Hide content

I am based in Worcester. I have just spoken to a register and she was lovely. She recommended here:

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=7849

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never - my family and friends live in Kidderminster!!! If I had seen the register office before we booked our venue I would have had it there!! def go for a regoffice the onesin worcestershire are gorg!!

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsTownsendToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! ?

My budget is 500 too, but that's because I'm not religious (so not bothered about the big fairytale wedding). It's just going to be a small civil ceremony in our local registry office (Mansfield).

The Legal Bits
    £105 - for the registry office room (max 16 guests)
    £70 - for both of us to give notice
    £8 - for two marriage certificates

Everything Else
    £20 - for the dress (boohoo.com)
    £60 - for the OH's suit (Tesco)
    £20 - for the favours (Amazon)
    £4 - for the invites (Hobbycraft)
    £100 - for a family meal (My mum has kindly offered to pay the other half)
    £10 - for the garter (Etsy)
    £14 - for the shoes (New Look)

£411

And that's about it for us! ? I have bought a few other little bits (MOB, FOB. MOG gifts)

Luckily our families understand that we don't want a big fuss and mainly just want to spend the day together.

I hope all goes well!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

If you're based around Birmingham, there's loads of nice pubs which have function rooms to hire for reasonably low rates for a reception. Alternatively, as the weather's getting nice, you could ask your guests to each bring a dish and have a picnic in one of the parks? OH and I originally looked at doing that, but with his Dad being severely disabled and unable to stay outside too long it wasn't an option.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

She go married 6 years ago ? dont think she need suggestions anymore

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics