Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

budget and DIY weddings what can I do myself?

1 April, 2012 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 11

Im getting married on friday 13th sept 2013, Im having a church wedding followed by the reception at a hotel on the beach just down the road, the cost of the hotel includes all my table names, table plan and flowers for the table done by their florist so I havent got to worry about that. Im in the middle of going through my budget and looking through my quotes to see what i can afford which isnt looking good! lol! has anyone got any things their cutting back on or anything they are doing their selfs to save money! send me your ideas and suggestions please! and hope fully they will make me feel better as im now on a bit of a downer about the whole thing! why does everything cost so much!! xx☹️

11 replies

Latest activity by Purple Pixie, 2 April, 2012 at 10:51
  • Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

If you're really tight for money but have seen a car you love you could consider just having one car for you and just let your bridesmaids etc do their own thing.

I might hire a Mercedes for the day and get my brother to drive my bridesmaids etc as it can be much cheaper and we can use it the next morning for getting home.

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cupcakebeaubride ·
    • Hide content

I too am trying to cut back and do as many DIY things as poss. My sister is doing my flowers as she is brilliant and we will use a mixture of real and silk for those that aren't in season. I'm making my own invites but you have yours sorted anyway. I would defo just have a hire car for you and ask a friend with a nice car to take the bridesmaids. Do you have your dress and bridesmaid dresses? There is some amazing second hand ones on here so cheap. For my favours I am currently collecting jam jars and asking all family and friends I do the same and we are going to make chutney for men and jam for girls.. Top with a cloth to match my theme ( lace) and attach a cheap brown luggage tag with the name on so they double up as place names. You could also do a sweet table as your favours... They seem very popular but don't hire a company to do it.. Do it yourself. Collect glassware from family or charity shops... Borrow a mates makro card and fill with sweets... Decorate your table with flowers or some of those paper Pom poms which are cheap to make and let everyone help themselves :-)

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    Victoria030384 ·
    • Hide content

I am doing a lot myself - purely because i dont want to pay for things i dont need to! These things include -

- Invites including save the dates although not doing these would save money.

- table centre pieces - a lovely hurricane lamp £8 from sainsburys include stones and candles placed onto a mirror plate which was £2 from the range. I am planning on ebaying all these after the wedding too.

- flowergirls button bouquets - much cheaper than flowers although you could go for a wand with a single flower in.

- Bridesmaids shoes - cheap ballet pumps decorated with diamontes myself.

- Wedding cake

- sweetie buffet - again vases and bowls bought from the range and will be sold after and sweets from local wholesales. These are going to double up as favours by providing guests with their own named bag which may also do as place names.

To be honest there is loads you can do depending on time and how creative you are. In my eyes if i can do it myself then i will!

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

This board may give you some ideas http://pinterest.com/westlakejdesign/diy-wedding/ hope it helps Smiley smile

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

I know it's a shock seeing how much it all costs but don't you dare be on a downer date twin!!

Pinwheels - think I mentioned we were having them? We're getting ours from this seller on Etsy who is LOVELY! She's quoted us £60 for big pinwheels for BMs, Big ones for centrepeices and then 10 buttonhole small pinwheels.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaperPolaroid?utm_source=convo&utm_medium=trans_email&utm_campaign=convo_html

We are going to be getting thin glass vases and putting some sand in and then the pinwheels for each table a bit like this

Some more inspiration pics too:

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

£60 might sound like a lot, but that 's all our BM bouquets sorted, all table decs (which you don't need) and buttonholes!

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the idea of pinwheels Smiley smile and what an interesting date to get married Smiley smile

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing a lot oursleves too. the best bit of advice is use the internet and shop around, you will be surprised at how prices vary and also postage costs vary widely too. also go to local wedding fayres as most of the big things ie cake, photographers and cars will offer discounts if you book with them on that day and sometimes its about 10% saving which all adds up x

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Those pinwheels make great photos!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics