Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2010

budget civil wedding venues in Berkshire or Swansea

mrsfalconi2be, 24 August, 2009 at 09:35 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello,

A few weeks ago I was finally proposed to and have now started looking at wedding venues! We are hoping too get married October or December 2010 in either Berkshire (where we live) or Swanses (where my family live) However II just don't know where to start!!!!

We don't want to spend more than 5K on the venue, food and drink. To save a bit of money we are looking at having a hot buffet option. Can anywhere suggest some venues in Berkshire or Swansea that may well fit our budget???

Also, we want to have a live band. One that will do covers. Any suggestions on goood live bands in these areas please????

Thanks for any help ?

11 replies

Latest activity by maidenheadgirl, 11 April, 2012 at 22:48
  • N
    Beginner December 2009
    nessy72 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, We are having our wedding at Highfield Park which is technically Hampshire but right on the Berkshire border (in Wellington Country Park). We are having a small wedding ceremony and a huge evening reception and I think our totals will be in the region of 5K - if you are getting married on a day other than a Saturday then they offer a 10% discount. Average price per head for wedding breakfast guests is £89 per person. They usually have a wedding fair in September time and we booked our wedding at the fair and got 5 complimentary rooms worth about £400. Hope that helps, good luck with your search.

Nessy

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Don't have any recommendations, just wanted to say hello and welcome to hitched! x x

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsfalconi2be ·
    • Hide content

Hello Bec. Thanks for the welcome. Only just found this site and already I'm spending far too much time on it trying to get ideas!

Nessy, thanks for the tip about where you are having your wedding. I shall look that up now ?

• I
    Isabel Smith Wedding Design ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - Welcome to Hitched!

Try Monks Barn in Hurley - http://79.170.40.247/hurleyriversidepark.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=13

It is a completely blank canvass so you'll have to do all your own decorations and find caterers that can bring all the tables, chairs, cutlery, crockery, linen etc but this can be the most cost effective way in the end.

• sparkles1984
    Beginner
    sparkles1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Somewhere near Swansea is Bryngarw Country house in Brynmenyn, thats where we are getting married next year, we are having about 50 guests and thats a sit down 3 course meal and a buffet for about 80 in the evening and thats costing £200 for the venue all day and about £2500 for the food etc. Just an idea!

• M
    Dedicated April 2010
    manicb2b ·
    • Hide content

Try the Pinewood hotel on the Bucks / Berks boarders. My son is getting married there in April and the costs are really reasonable.

• Catherines Cakes
    Beginner February 2004
    Catherines Cakes ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I can't help with Swansea I'm afraid but I'm a HIB in Berkshire so know most of the venues around here. Following are some you can try (I have no real experience of the pricing but think they might be around the right level) - some are just outside what is technically Berkshire but may be close enough. I 'think' they all have licences for civil ceremonies.

Cantley House Hotel Wokingham

The Tudor Barn, Burnham

Bix Manor, Bix Nr Henley-on-Thames

Lillibrooke Manor, Maidenhead

Stirrups Country House Hotel, Maidens Green

Sonning Golf Club

Badgemore Park Golf Club, Nr Henley-on-Thames

Caversham Heath Golf Club

Reading Blue Coat School (school hols only)

Shiplake College (school hols only)

There are 3 Holiday Inn Hotels in the Reading area which all offer good deals (advertising 'a grand wedding for a grand')

The Comfort Hotel Padworth

The Old Mill Aldermaston

Trunkwell House, Beech Hill (my brother got married there last year and we had a fabulous day)

The Calcot Hotel Reading

Moor Hall, Cookham

The New Mill Restaurant Eversley

The Bird in Hand, Knowl Hill

There are 3 venues owned by the University of Reading - Wantage Hall, Cedars Restaurant and the Blue Room - not sure if they are only available during holiday time but Wantage Hall in particular is very nice.

The Old Town Hall Reading (Parking is a nightmare but the rooms inside are lovely)

Sindlesham Court

Ufton Court

Easthampstead Park

Hope there's some to be looking at in that list.

Good luck!
    Catherine

• mrsdrc2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsdrc2b ·
    • Hide content

Just thought I would say hello - I'm in Berkshire too and getting married next August. We are getting married on a Thursday as the venue and catering offered a discount during the week. I'm struggling with live bands at the mo but will let you know if I come across any - Happy planning!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm in Berkshire too and also looking for "budget" style places for our wedding. There are some lovely suggestions there but all of them not quite in my budget!

Why can't there just be nice places that don't want to screw you out of all your money (that's how it feels to me - hence why we're "rebelling" and trying to find something different) :o)

Have you found anywhere yet? So far I like the look of (based on internet searches only) - Wokingham Town Hall for ceremony (looks very grand) and The Bell at Boxford pub. Think I just need to search for pubs in the area and ring them to ask if they'll let us have a party there ;o)

Good Luck!

Barbie

• S
    Beginner June 2013
    sophieml ·
    • Hide content

Which venue did you choose in the end? Myself and fiancee are looking into the Bell at Boxford? xxx

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I can help with both Swansea AND Berkshire as I'm living in Berkshire/Hampshire currently and my family is from Wales.

I love Warbrook House, Rivervale Barn and I did do a Wedding at the Reading Hilton yesterday which is a really smart new venue.

As for Swansea. The Penrice estate is lovely on the Gower, Craig y Nos is also beautiful.

HTH

Nat

• maidenheadgirl
    Beginner May 2013
    maidenheadgirl ·
    • Hide content

Its interesting that years later, I can sympathise with the OP. Looking at venues all over Berkshire and its amazing how even the crappiest venue is charging the same as the nicer ones. Nothing less than £5000 for most because the packages are totally misleading. Royal Adelaide is offering £49 for a weekday wedding but then once you start adding all the bits they leave out of the package, it comes to £65-£70 anyway! And their function room is horrible! Actually looking to Burnham Beeches or Grovesfield Hotel as the venue is stunning but its way more higher than we intended to spend ;(

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics