Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2013

Budget for Honeymoon

chez1988, 17 of March of 2012 at 18:25 Posted on Planning 0 33

Even though our wedding isn’t till June 2013 up to now we are pretty organised and got major/most expensive things booked and bought/got ideas on the other things.

This got me thinking about our Honeymoon. We have decided on abroad somewhere we are unlikely to visit again for 1 week and just total relaxation.

Where are/did you spend your Honeymoons and what price rang am I looking at for 4-5* relaxation ?

33 replies

Latest activity by HayleyMay, 19 of March of 2012 at 18:36
  • L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to Crete! Might be a little warm in June... not sure. Since we're going in April at the start of the season it's a bit cheaper. We're starting at a b&b in a town centre and then heading to the east coast to stay at a 5* resort with sea views and a private jacuzzi. With flights and all I think we're looking at about 1800... a bit under actually. My H2B's parents have paid for most of it as a gift which is fab!

Have you had any ideas of where you might like to go?

• MrsP2012
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsP2012 ·
    • Hide content

Were going to Antalya in Turkey staying in the Hillside Su Hotel a 5* ultra modern hotel. Booked with Thomas Cook unfortunately (before they decided to go bump) and it cost £1200 for 2 weeks b&b. If ur looking for a cheap holiday (well compared to maldives etc) then Turkey is gorgeous, weve twice already and know we love it. Plus its not in the euro either so its cheaper to eat and drink over there. xx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Zanzibar and Tanzania. Cost about £9k but we'd have spent the flight money anyway since we're getting married out there. Honeymoon cost doesn't include accom for where we're getting married, but that's not actually a lot more Smiley smile

• Xtalulu
    Beginner March 2013
    Xtalulu ·
    • Hide content

We're looking at two weeks in the Maldives, all inclusive for £11k. Aiming for pure relaxation, luxury resort and the best accommodation.

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

We're have 10 days allinclusive in SHarm el Sheikh in June for just under £2k.

NOt a dream destination but we wanted to go right away after the wedding and couldn't afford to do the dream holidays then - we shall save for those another year! Still got luxury and relaxation though!

• Kadence
    Beginner September 2012
    Kadence ·
    • Hide content

We are going all inclusive Mexico, the Excellence Playa Mujeres, costing just over 4K for 2 weeks - so excited!

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

We are going on a caribbean cruise for 14 nights, £3400 altogether

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

? at some of these budgets! Some more than our whole wedding budget! OH's dad is paying to take us and the kids to Antalya, Turkey, too (Arum Hotel, also 5*but nice to have a 'honeymoon' destination twin!), and that is costing about £2.4k for 4 of us half board. So we're having a 'familymoon' with the in-laws, but we couldn't have afforded anything by ourselves, as we don't want to leave the kids.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

I agree dhughes81! huge budgets! i bet they will be AMAZING holidays ladies (hope so for that kind of money!?)

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Remember to budget for spending money, souvenirs/gifts and if you are anything like me, new clothes / luggage / accessories!!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

2 weeks in Mexico - 5* All Inclusive - costing £2800. Our wedding is coming in under £5K so this is a splurge for us!

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

Hoping to do a rail trip across the states and canada and back down to san fran and LA. hoping it will cost about 5K ish, as its with Amtrak. A local travel agent deals with them and is working out the best itinarary for us. Thats end of August next year. If she cant organise it, for about 2 weeks, then we will just head off to Mauritius instead! for about the same price.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

2 weeks in Antigua at 4k for the hotel (all inclusive) Flights are business class BA but paid for on air miles so we just have to pay the tax at about 1k

We are going here http://www.cocobayresort.com/antigua_vacation_photos.php

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

11k on a holiday?????? Sheesh! We'd be taking off with round the world tickets for 3 months with a budget like that!!!

We are going to a boutique hotel in Nice for 4 nights then getting the boat to Corsica for a week self catering. Inc spending money it should be about 3k which is looooads as far as we concerned.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

11k for 2 weeks in the Maldives ??? Yikes seriously sounds like some ones being mugged off I went 5 star luxury Maldives for less then a quarter of that price PP?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, it sounds like I may have to go for a weeks camping. I would struggle to find £2000 for my honeymoon, was hoping for about half of that. Maybe next year...

But good luck in finding some luxury, if you don't mind staying within Europe, you can get some great deals with 5* hotels, pure bliss.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah yes, but maybe not everyone is spending £££ on the wedding. As said above, we're marrying abroad. I think the wedding is costing about £3k not including dress and rings. When we get back, we have a reception costing about £4k inc. venue, food, drinks and entertainment. Overall our wedding/honeymoon/reception is costing well under the current "average wedding cost". As always, different people, different priorities Smiley smile

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where did you stay and fly with, if you don't mind me asking? I'm also looking at Maldives/Indian Ocean place, would really like all inclusive and to stay on a water villa (on stilts above the ocean) - this is going to be my one time in my life I would splurge like this on such a luxury holiday, but all the places I've seen I'm looking at min 6K (for 2 of us) for 7 days... we might try and go for just 1 week and 1 week somewhere else (less luxiourous!) or we might go 10-14 nights in maldives/mauritus etc but obv that would hike the price up loads.....I havent been seeing anything as cheap as what you've said yet? pls tell me where to look!! Smiley smile

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Wow I never realised it is usually that expensive! we booked through Hayes and Jarvis- I guess it depends when your getting married/planning to honeymoon we went in September 2010(for holiday not honeymoon) from my research it appears they bump up price for honeymoon holiday packages rather then holiday packages.

Sri Lanka's a beautiful country and easily suits a twin centre with Maldives if you looking to bring the cost down.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I looked for a holiday and I couldn't find it for less than 6k, my parents went there on holiday a couple of years ago and they paid 8k for 9 days. I am going to the Caribbean now as I just couldn't afford a 2 week er in Maldives.

FJ - what hotel did you stay in?

• Xtalulu
    Beginner March 2013
    Xtalulu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Heya, you mentioned you went in September, that's monsoon season in the Maldives. It's still very nice during that time, sunny but it rains. The Maldives sunny season (little to no rain) is during end of November - may in the UK hence the more expensive price tag. The resort you pick also has an impact on the price, when I was looking at resorts some were considerably cheaper, the one we've chosen was highly rated on trip advisor and looked lovely (but don't they all) and also has a highly recommended all inclusive plan.

You can also pay less if you go with a beach villa but were budgeting for the top accommodation as the honeymoon is our priority.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I've been twice first time was Biyadhoo island resort we paid about £650 for a week full board (everything included except drinks) stunning island but not a 5 star resort very basic accommodation so would not recommend if u want luxury 5 star but a good option for budget maldives https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g6851912-d316963-Reviews-Biyadhoo_Island_Resort-Biyaadhoo_Island.html

Second time we stayed https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g6851904-d614592-r126097928-Adaaran_Select_Meedhupparu-Meedhupparu_Island.html both times we flew with Qatar Airways via Doha (one of the best airlines IMO)

When are you travelling? I have just had a look on http://www.hayesandjarvis.co.uk/search.vm?airline=&searchType=SC&destinationCountry=Maldives&destinationResort=Maldives%3AMaldives%3A%3AMaldives&departurePoint=LON&lowCost=true&departureDay=07&departureMonthYear=Sep-2012&accommodationCountry=Maldives&accommodationResort=Maldives%3AMaldives%3A%3AMaldives&accommodationCode=&accommodationArrivalAirportCode=&giveOrTake=1&duration=14&noRooms=1&noAdultsRoomList%5B0%5D=2&noChildrenRoomList%5B0%5D=0&noInfantsRoomList%5B0%5D=0&noAdultsRoomList%5B1%5D=1&noChildrenRoomList%5B1%5D=0&noInfantsRoomList%5B1%5D=0&noAdultsRoomList%5B2%5D=1&noChildrenRoomList%5B2%5D=0&noInfantsRoomList%5B2%5D=0&noAdultsRoomList%5B3%5D=1&noChildrenRoomList%5B3%5D=0&noInfantsRoomList%5B3%5D=0

I see there are some cheaper options available although maybe not with the water bungalow or all inclusive package you were after.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

We budgeted £2500 for our honeymoon as that was what our parents would be contributing.

OH wanted to top it up and spend more, but I am aware that we will have lots of other things to pay for, and 2 weeks holiday can be amazing if you spend just £1000 or £10000, so new that we could get something fantastic.

We are doing twin centre in Morrocco - Agadir and Marrakech, and staying 5* luxury in boutique spa hotels.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Mexico 5* 11 night in Aug AI upgraded flights approx £3500

• Xtalulu
    Beginner March 2013
    Xtalulu ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If only we could predict the weather all year Smiley smile. Yes you could have rain in peak season but you pay the extra for higher probability of sunshine, now if anyone knows how to predict the future I have a few questions I'd like to ask Smiley winking

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    chez1988 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies think i had my head a little bit in the cloudes when thinking of a budget .... Some people are spending more money on the honeymoon then we are spending on our whole wedding. Think we better start doing some major saving other wise it will be a weekend in the UK ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We spent £4,500 on a week touring Sri Lanka 3* and a week in Kuramathi in the Maldives 4*

We flew with Sri Lanka Airlines (not the nicest of planes) in March 2011.

It was a Kuoni exclusive resort, booked through Blue Bay Travel (£500 cheaper than booking with Kuoni direct).

A friend of mine is in the Maldives at the moment, the Conrad resort - 2 weeks @ £18,000... with a 9 month old baby!

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe try and work out what kind of budget you have and then find somewhere that fits that. Smaller budgets dont have to equal rubbish honeymoons! If you're low on funds may look at having a week away instead of a fortnight (you can always take another week off at home & enjoy opening your presents & going through your wedding photos!)

There are some really beautiful places in Europe & the UK so I'm sure you'll find something that suits the two of you perfectly.

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

We're going to Kuramathi in the Maldives for 10 nights 4* all inclusive and then 3 nights at the 5* Al Qasr in Dubai half board for 3 nights and it's costing £5,500.

We booked through Kuoni however we got a friends and family discount as we know someone that works there, otherwise it would have been over £6k.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

As a previous poster has said, ours depends on money we receive as wedding gifts and then how much we put towards it. With a new house and the search for a new job I may be being a little optimistic when I look up St Lucia honeymoons at least once a week!

The Carribean is such a beautiful place and we visited a few years ago so we'd love to go back and try a different island. I wouldn't want to pay more than £1200 each though as we've got more necessary things to spend our money on in the near future.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics