Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2016

Budget regrets!!!

Moonbeam88, 27 of April of 2015 at 15:04 Posted on Planning 0 24

Due to falling in love with an expensive venue which had expensive in-house catering our spend so far seems rather high. I didn't think too much about this to start with in all the excitement but now a few more of my friends have started planning their weddings and seem to be getting much better deals for their chosen venues. Any bargains I pick up are just wiped out by the expense of the venue. It's not that we can't afford it, more that i'm starting to think should we really be spending such an extortionate amount of money on one day?! I think we basically underestimated the expense of all the added extras...

My question is have any newly marrieds regretted what they spent? I'm worried that we will look back and wonder if it was all worth it! I do love our venue don't get me wrong and if we cancel now we will loose over £3.5k. Just having major wobbles!

x

24 replies

Latest activity by Fairytales19, 3 of May of 2015 at 13:35
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I don't regret how much we spent (although your venue sounds like it cost more than mine) I did limit myself on venue spend though as I really couldn't afford to go mental and have the great big country manor or the empty barn that requires additional hire of every little thing! If you can afford it, then don't sweat it. You'll have an amazing day in a venue that you love .

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

That's a lot too loose hun...I don't regret what we did for one min it was perfect too us and we have great memories of the wedding and travelling...just remember why you are getting married where you are ? and don't compare your wedding with your friends different strokes for different folks remember xx

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Problem is now that every other venue you could swap to has got 3.5k more expensive and they are clearly not worth that otherwise they could have cost that on the first place.

Don't regret my wedding budget at all

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Just remind yourself why you fell in love with the place Smiley smile

3.5k is a lot to lose, to then have to look for another venue that you'll be comparing to the first!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I don't REGRET it, but i do look back and wince.....a lot...... but then i spent a LOT of money.

sounds like you should sit and talk to your h2b and work out what you both want in your hearts.....

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We spent approx £10k on our wedding and a further £4k on the honeymoon. And although it's a LOT of money I don't regret a single penny of it as we had the most amazing day and a brilliant honeymoon.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^ This!

We got married in 2013. My only regret is we scrimped on a few things which seems a bit silly to have done so now. Our venue was the most expensive item naturally but neither of us regret it for a second.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. I appreciate that people's budgets vary massively by circumstances, no of guests, location etc etc. We had planned to spend around £12-5k (not including honeymoon) and are currently around the £21k mark. Our venue/catering is about £11k which includes food and drink for 80 day guests and 150 night guests. We did receive an unexpected gift from OH's parents of £3k (tying in with an extra 15 guests FMIL has insisted on lol) so about £18k of our own money. We are both in good jobs with no dependents etc but it pains me as it's about the same that we put down to buy our house which just seems absolutely crazy.

I think had we stopped to consider it all a bit more when we first got engaged we may have picked somewhere a bit more low key. Unfortunately as pointed out £3.5k is too much to loose so I think we've made our bed now. It is definitely a lesson learnt and something I will be warning any newly engaged friends about! x

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

We only spent about 2.5k and I regret that we didn't spend more! We didn't have it to spend, but I would have loved a proper custom made designer dress, a cake and a honeymoon. So I say if you can afford it, do it.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

As long as you're not going into debt to fund it then what the heck! If you can't spoil yourselves on your wedding day then when can you??

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah now i've seen your budget, it might comfort you to know i spend even more than that. and as said, i don't regret it. wince yes, regret no.

hope that helps a little xxx

• K
    Beginner January 1999
    Kilner ·
    • Hide content

I have had the same wobble!

We had a idea of what we wanted to spend but it is now almost double that figure. Our venue is also quite pricey but like you, it is the venue we love. I also underestimated the cost of all the extras but I am finding ways to save on other things.

I justify the money we're spending by telling myself that we've waited 23 years to get married so we can spend what we like!

I wouldn't cancel the venue if I was you. If you love it, stick with it!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

Yes we do love the venue it is beautiful and none others came close once I had my heart set on marrying there. We have had a 2 year engagement to allow enough time to save and the rule is if it can't come out of our savings (I've projected how much we can save each month until a month before the big day) then we won't have it. Including the honeymoon. Do not want to start married life in debt! Thanks for your reassurance everyone x

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

We've booked a lovely little stately home for our day, with a deposit of £1.5k. Now our priorities have shifted, and we're more interested in saving money on the big day to spend it on the honeymoon. We did debate cancelling the venue and going with somewhere cheaper, but once we took the loss of the deposit into account we decided actually we wouldn't save that much.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

You can afford it so don't regret it!! You'll have the most amazing day in your dream venue and you'll remember it forever! Stop regretting it and get on with planning!! =D

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

It is futile comparing yourself to other people. As long as you can afford it and it is what you want, then go for it!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I wobbled. We put down around 800 deposit for a 4000 venue (reception only). We decided to cancel the venue and go with a 300 one. We may or may not get our dwposit back, but either way, we save about 3000. Feel relieved now we cancelled our first venue.

If you can afford your budget then go for it! We couldnt afford our original one!!

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Can't you keep the venue and scale back on other things? Xx

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

I was exactly the same... 'we're not spending any more than about 5 or 6k on one day.... its just one day!'

We're getting married on Saturday, and its currently nearing £14,000 ?

We're not in debt over it and I'm sure it will be amazing, so hey.. you only live once!

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

We are grappling with this a bit at the moment. When we first got engaged we naively thought that we could afford what we wanted for £5k...oh, how we laugh now! It's currently at just over £11k and I reckon it will creep up to £12k. We can afford it, and family are very generously giving us money, but the point is do we WANT to spend that much? We've decided that we do want to - we're not being particularly lavish (cheaper menu options etc), although obviously there's nothing wrong with being lavish, it wouldn't feel right for us. That's what it comes down to really.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Ha, it's funny reading the last couple of posts. I also thought at first we could do it all for 5k and there was no way I was spending anymore... how naive I was!

I say if you can afford it, aren't getting into debt then go for it. Life is too short.

• H
    Beginner October 2015
    Happy Polly ·
    • Hide content

We also so underestimated how much it could cost. We are trending at about £15k for our wedding including the honeymoon. We hoped to spend £10k. We have also had a little bit of help from the parents. I was very uncomfortable at the beginning with the cost but now that we are getting closer and that we have paid off most of it, I am actually looking forward to it now and I don't regret the amount of money we will spend.

If you can afford it then I say spend it. I know it is just one day, but then you only get married once so you should have the wedding you want.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrsmalpass ·
    • Hide content

Haha, well we had a budget of £11,000 we have actually spent £18,000. We both have good jobs and can afford this wedding but we havent started saving for a morgage yet! We saved for our wedding in just under a year, and although its alot of money we have no regrets and feel that we have everything we want for our day. I would rather have the most amazing day and regret spending a few £ to much than regret not having the day we really wanted!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Every wedding is different and every budget is different, just like everyone's priorities are different!

I pick my wedding stuff up from car boot sales - could I afford to buy it new from shops yep but where's the fun in that?! Our wedding is by some is expensive but others its a bargin at approx 7K but we then have a luxury honeymoon which is what we wanted to spend our money on. My BM is the opposite end of the scale hers is coming in a lot more - her venue alone costs more then our wedding without food but thats what they want to do.

What I'm trying to say is don't have wobbles about comparisons they are all different and will all be unique and fun in their own way! You guys love your venue and thats what is important!

• Fairytales19
    Beginner September 2015
    Fairytales19 ·
    • Hide content

I have been having some wobbles about spending too because it's so much on one day! I don't think we will regret an of it though because it is our dream wedding and I don't want to have regrets after if we didn't get things we really wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics