Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MetalBride
Beginner April 2018

Budget vs dress

MetalBride, 1 of July of 2016 at 19:07 Posted on Planning 0 13

Ok so I posted a little while back with a picture of a dress I liked that was red and a full ball gown, I didn't buy it because it was so far over my budget. Today I tried a dress on in white that I liked it was less than £100 so now I'm have a dilemma, if I go for the white dress it is in the sale and is the only one they have so I can't leave it long, but neither dress made me feel amazing. I'm just not sure what to do about it, so far I've not really found a dress that I feel I can't get married without.

How did you guys find your dresses, should I hold out? Buy the bargain but keep looking? Forget about it? Just don't know..

13 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 4 of July of 2016 at 17:50
  • E
    Beginner May 2017
    Ellensmummy ·
    • Hide content

So I set myself a budget and tried on all the ones I liked within that budget. My dress happened to be a sample sale gown so I got it less than half my budget. It was nice to know that whatever I picked I was able to afford as i didn't want to fall in love with something far too expensive. I think you need to go with your gut feeling

• rockabird
    Beginner May 2017
    rockabird ·
    • Hide content

I think if this was me I would buy the white dress. There is only so much money to go about and if the red one was really over budget, realisticly is there any way you would be able to get before the day? Or anyway or bringing other costs down to put more towards the red dress?

Also for the white one, could you jazz it up with accessories / bouquet etc? I saw some pics the other day of a bride in a very traditional white dress but her bouquet was amazingly gothic, her ink was on show and hair was ace. So, could you still have that sort of alternative vision with the white dress?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

The white one is very plain so I could definitely add bits to it and over accessorise it too, I suppose my theory is that if I buy the red one then I struggle later I'd be so angry with myself.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I go with the white vote. Apart from costs which is one reason - I think people won't be expecting you to wear a white dress and with accessories and a little work it will have more impact than a red dress and look more alternative than a red dress.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

• I
    Beginner December 2016
    IceBlue ·
    • Hide content

I went well over budget! But as I am paying for it myself it didn't really matter. I started by saying £1500 for dress and alterations etc and ended up spending £1800 just on the dress..... But it was down from £2200.

i think look at your situation and if you can afford more. Will you regret not having the first dress? If not get the white one.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

The budget dress

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Personally, unless you're really pushed for time, I would keep looking. Have you been to any of the sample stores or have you considered a preloved dress?

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried eBay or Gumtree? I think that unless the dress is ridiculously over budget, you should get the dress of your dreams. You'll only do this once! X

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

While I don't want to end up feeling like a dumpling I'm not an overly ' big dress ' girl, the day actually means more to me than what I'll be wearing, I think that's been the problem all along. I've bought the sample one with the theory that if I do change my mind it won't be the end of the world and the simple style of it is really appealing especially as I'm wearing a huge gothic red cloak.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I like the dress. You'll need some alterations so the bust fits properly but everything else is lovely. Also, I agree that the simple design will match well with a large red cloak.

Honestly, I didn't have a crying moment when I found the dress I wore. I found it, it fit and had pockets. If I didn't find it, I had a back-up choice. Easy.

As long as you look nice and feel comfortable, there isn't much more to it.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Any dress with pockets is a winner in my book!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

You should see the bolero design my mum's going to make for me!! She's getting into it now I want her seamstress talent!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Can't wait to see the finished look!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics