Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2011

Budget/Affordable Mother of the Bride outfits

emmamac73, 2 April, 2011 at 16:12 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi Peeps!

My dear old Mum is on quite a tight budget for her MOTB outfit, she only works part time and doesn't have much spare cash. I will prob treat her to new shoes/hat/handbag but all the same, we would like to keep the cost down.....I know the "obvious" places like Jacque Vert etc can run to £200/300 easily. Half of this (or less!) would be more like it!

So....I've started looking...

Roman Orginals has a few nice things.....also Matalan off all places has a nice linen dress and jacket that mum likes...for £50!! :-D

Any other recommendations please guys?

TIA

xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Dizzylizzi, 9 June, 2011 at 11:22
  • Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Wallis? They also often do 20/25% off discount codes that you could look out for to save a bit more!

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

We've just been shopping today for mum's outfit, and started in Debenhams, they have a sale on at the moment and a few nice outfits in Phase Eight in Debenhams, which had huge reductions, so defo worth a look. We bought her one from Coast in the end, but still cost £140

• Dollyrockerz
    Beginner October 2011
    Dollyrockerz ·
    • Hide content

My Mum and I were looking in House of Fraser the other week for ideas for her outfit and there were loads a lot of concessions with discounts.

Might be worth a look?

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

I took my MIL to be shopping a couple of weeks ago for her dress & we found a lovely one from Alex & Co (stocked in House of Fraser, Debenhams etc), it's in the sale at the moment as well as an early spring collection, it's this one:

And it cost £100 in the sale.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if you would be interested but I've just put my MOB hat on the For Sale section on Hitched - this is it:-

We will also be selling her dress too!

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    PhoenixAngelic ·
    • Hide content

You could also try that famous auction site. Lots of branded designer MOB outfits on there for a fraction of the cost! Make sure you get the sizes checked (and then check with the designers own website) and you could save yourselves a fortune.

I have managed to find some absolute bargains on there recently. Definitely worth a look and nobody needs to know. (I got my wedding dress via ebay - brand new with the tags still attached. A very lucky find but it saved me over £800!!!)

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My MIL2b doesn't want to spend a fortune on her dress and so my Mom has suggested we try BHS - no idea what it'll be like (we are going Thursday) but worth a try? She said you can get a lovely hat in there for £25?!

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

We struggled with this!!! My mum ended up doubling her budget to £580!

However, look at fenn wright and mason. They have a sale (my mother in laws dress is now hal price!)

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

I would have a look in BHS, M&S, Next, Roman Originals, Debenhams, Phase Eight, Matalan, Tesco (they had some lovely bits in there yesterday when I looked!) - also have a look at what voucher codes are about at the moment as you may be able to find a discount voucher to save more.

Have you got any outlet stores near you at all? Our local outlet has a Next, M&S, Phase Eight and Karen Millen outlet with massive reductions? Worth a look if you have one in easy reach xx

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I took my mum to Boundary Mill up at Walsall where they have all the designers at discount. She managed to get hers for less than £100 for dress and jacket!

They have Jacques Vert and Roman etc there. It's worth a trip definitely.

They have other stores around the country - https://boundaryoutlet.com/bou_ladies.html

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Why does 'mother of the bride' have to have a really expensive outfit? Don't understand these things.

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content

AJ, no one said the MOB "has" to have an expensive outfit - yes, I imagine most would like to make a bit of an effort in terms of what they wear, but just as there is a great variance in what we all budget for our weddings, the same applies for MOB outfits. Given that the OP was asking for ideas for budget outfits, I'm not sure how your post is relevant.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My Mum has something from a mail order catalogue (JD Williams?)- it was under £150 for a dress and jacket. But I'd say check out BHS, Roman Originals and any of the department stores.

• Dizzylizzi
    Beginner April 2012
    Dizzylizzi ·
    • Hide content

We've had great trouble with this, been to all the usual high street and department stores but one of the best was TK Maxx. Very reasonable prices, my mum got a beautiful satin shift dress for £30! It can be a bit like a jumble sale and may take a few visits before you find anything that might be suitable but it's worth a look. Watch out for sizing too as a lot of it is from American and European designers, my rule is if it looks like it might fit then it's worth trying it on. Would also recommend Boundary Mill, particularly for the accessories side of things, loads of great shoe brands and matching bags at discount prices. We will also be making a visit to an outlet shopping village for a jacket as we've had major bargains at these places before.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics