Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner March 2019

Buffet for wedding breakfast

lisalufc, 2 of December of 2017 at 16:27 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi all.

I'd love to hear your opinions of having a buffet for the wedding breakfast.

I did think I wanted a proper three course meal for the day guests as they're more formal and 'weddingy' but looking at a few hotels menus has changed my mind. I'm not comfortable picking one meal that ALL my guests have to eat. Whatever we pick, I'm sure some people will dislike it. Even just picking something between the groom and myself will be difficult because he's quite a fussy eater, as are most of his family. Everywhere I've looked, the bride and groom pick three courses and that's what everyone has to eat. I thought guests got a choice of three?

Would you be disappointed as a guest to be presented with a buffet?

Can it work with regards to speeches and everyone getting plenty of food?

Have you done this for your own wedding or ever attended one where the wedding breakfast was a buffet?

I'd still like a formal hotel wedding but I was thinking a lateish ceremony (3pm) followed by canapes and then the buffet at maybe 6. That way my guests would come to everything and there would be no extra people to cater for in the evening.

What are your thoughts?

3 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 8 of December of 2017 at 21:27
  • F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally don’t want a wedding buffet for my day guests, as I do like the idea of having a more formal meal. I booked my venue as a wedding package which included 50 day guests and their 3 course wedding breakfast. However, this means that all the guests get the same meal, which myself and fiancé need to choose for all guests. I also have difficulty with this, and we aren’t thrilled.

I went to a wedding recently where everyone was served the same meal and I only liked the dessert. The evening buffet was a hog roast and this wasn’t something I liked either - so I went hungry all day! ? Obviously most people aren’t this fussy, but it does happen. It was also a waste of money for the bride and groom who paid for meals that weren’t eaten.

My venue does offer a menu upgrade (£5 per person) so all guests get a choice of 3 meal options. We are seriously considering this, as it would only cost an additional £250, which we could easily lose if enough people don’t eat what they get without the option. Maybe this is something that you could speak to your venue about?

I have been to a wedding where the main meal was a buffet. The wedding ceremony was later in the day though (4pm), so it was put on for both day and evening guests. I didn’t mind this so much, but again it lacked the formality that I am looking for on my own wedding day.

I don’t know how helpful I’ve been, but I wish you luck in making your decision! Just remember, it’s yours and your fiancés day and as long as you are both happy with the meal choice, that’s the main thing! Your guests should be great full either way - it’s a free meal ?

• Lisac6317
    Beginner June 2018
    Lisac6317 ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about a sharing platter type sit down meal? This was a choice we were considering as it still have the feel of a wedding-y sit down but with a bit more choice for the fussy people.

Our venue could offer quite a few different options for this so perhaps yours can too! Buffet style, bbq style, even a specific country style i.e. USA or Italy.

• C
    Beginner January 2018
    Coopertobe ·
    • Hide content

We recently went to a wedding that had a buffet. Church was at 1, then buffet was at 4:30-5ish, the speeches were first and then the toastmaster called each table at a time to go help themselves. It seemed to take forever. I personally wouldn't have a buffet as by the time table Say 8 have been called the majority of people have finished and are just waiting around.

The food was lovely but I wouldn't have a buffet due to witnessing the set up, we have choosen a sit down where we choose the main ourselves for everyone and then guests get a choice out of 3 for starter and desserts.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have seen a venue serve a whole room with just two people - carrying 1 plate each and the same thing happened there where the top table had eat and the last table were just getting theirs.Part of the extra cost to a service sit down over a buffet is the extra people needed to serve.

I have seen a calvary which went down very well with two tables at a time to get served Turkey/Beef/Pork (or a slection of them all ? ) and then help themselves for the trimmings. Could be a good halfway option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics