Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner April 2011

Buffet reception...speeches???

Soon to be Mrs W, 26 July, 2010 at 12:29 Posted on Planning 0 5

We are having a buffet for our reception at a different venue to our ceremony, the ceremony being at 3.30 and arriving at our reception for 6pm. The issue we have is we dont know when to have the speeches and cutting of the cake as the evening guests could turn up half way through a speech. Should we make it clear in the evening invites when the speeches are happening? When do you think we should do this - before or after the buffet?

Also, would you bother with a seating plan for a buffet?

5 replies

Latest activity by mrsjbw2b, 26 July, 2010 at 13:10
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We are in the same circumstances.

I have decided that my Brother will put a sign up on the door saying that the speeches are in progress and will remove it afterwards. If they come

We are having speeches pretty much as soon as we arrive - around 6pm, as we will start by BM annoucing the arrival of Mr & Mrs L will be in 20 mins as ask all guests to have their drinks handy - to give them chance to get to the bar and then he will announce us and we will enter, and H2B or I will then do the first speech.

We will then at the end of the speeches announce the opening of the buffet and we will make the cutting of the cake and first day one "event" at 9pm ish.

ETA - We are having some "reserved" tables for the wedding party as we are not having the traditional top table - my mom will host a table as with OHs. But no formal plan for the rest of the guests,

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

One venue we talked to suggested having an extra table so the evening guests had somewhere to sit if they arrived during the speeches.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about people turning up halfway through (unless, say, you decide to do speeches at 8pm and also invite evening guests for 8pm). If the guests turn up in the middle of something they'll probably just hang around at the back until it's over.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I too am having a a buffet and hoping to have the speeches in between the main course and the desserts, not worried about evening guests as not having any... but if you have a room they can wait in a note on the door would be a good idea

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Hope this helps

I did a wedding in Cornwall two years ago which was like this. It was very relaxed, no seating plan and no top table. All guests had arrived by 7.00 and the buffet was due to start at 7.30. The wedding party went out of the room. I introduced each of them in to a funny (but suitable) piece of music and they came and stood infront of the rig. The speeches were done, then the wedding party started the buffet off, and rest followed. It was all very relaxes and worked really well. Everyone was invited to be there for 6.00 and i can't remember anyone turning up after the speeches started.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I really like the music idea - I keep thinking the song "Bad boys" is so relevant to my OH and this would be a fab way to use it! haha

• mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

We are doing the same , planning on getting to reception at 6pm, gonna do food first and then speaches , no seating plan , but having a sort of top table

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics