Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Bullying over Twitter

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 7 September, 2012 at 14:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

I read a really interesting article yesterday, regarding celebrity bullying over Twitter. Now, it wasn't about people bullying celebrities, it was about celebrities encouraging their followers to bully others.

Article here

Specific examples:

Ricky Gervais encouraged his fans to go on a "div hunt" and when a suitable victim was brought to his attention, he launched into a bit of a tirade. Obviously, his fans followed suit, to the point where the person deleted their account.

Simon Pegg responded to this tweet: “For some reason @simonpegg really really annoys me, hot fuzz is good though! He’s on my list, and it ain’t a good list! #annoying.” by encouraging his fans to flame "the d*ck-twitch" - they duly obliged. In fairness, Pegg apologised for this.

Noel Fielding, after being chastised by a girl for using the word "retarded" in his feed, called the tweeter a "dumb f*ck" and "big nose", retweeted his fans as they delivered insults and threats of violence to her, then thanked them all for their support, saying he'd had a brilliant laugh. One of his fans published her address, she received death threats. The girl tried to commit suicide. Fielding said sorry but qualified that if people were going to be mean over the internet (because calling someone out for using the word "retarded" is mean, apparently), they deserved everything they got.

And as a better example, apparently Charlie Brooker edits names from his tweets when responding to insults, specifically to stop his followers jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm on two minds on this. Is it reasonable for celebrities to respond to negativity like this? Maybe Fielding is right - if you can't take it, don't dish it out. But then, maybe people with hundreds of thousands of slavish followers should realise that they have to act a little more responsibly, rather than ordering their minions to attack someone?

Thoughts?

13 replies

Latest activity by ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 7 September, 2012 at 19:26
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's right that celebs should "encourage" their fans to bully certain people. But, if someone slags off a sleb, the sleb responds and then hundreds of fans jump on the bandwaggon, it's not really the fault of the celeb - they were just sticking up for themselves.

I don't really understand cyber bullying though. I might be ignorant to it all, but can't you delete or block the person?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Apparently, the girl in the Fielding example went down the formal route, reporting and blocking those who sent her threats. Twitter suspended HER account because it's against the rules to block so many people (maybe it's against the ethos of a "public" forum).

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

IMO:

Retaliating when someone slags them off... fair enough.

Encouraging fans to start insulting people... not acceptable.

Retweeting insults and threats of violence....really stupid, immature and irresponsible.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think some of the problem is that if you do the former, the second happens anyway, even if you don't do anything to encourage it.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good point, I suppose it depends on the scenario. Insulting someone who has insulted you is different to insulting someone who has taken offence at something you've said. I can see why fans wanted to stick up for Simon Pegg and he can't be held responsible for how other people choose to express their feelings about it. Noel Fielding however I think is responsible by re-tweeting and using offensive language in the first place.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Using the Simon Pegg example, Eclair, do you think that he should have responded in a more responsible way, rather than resorting to insults?

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah he should, I mixed up the examples and forgot he was encouraging people too so ignore what I said there.

I think that anyone, celebrity or not, should 'think before they type' on places like twitter. However, if they are just retaliating to an insult, not encouraging others to do so then I can cut them a bit of slack because they're only human.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I know what you mean. It's all too easy to retaliate and type something, press "send" and then think "I shouldn't have done that"

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I've actually been on the receiving end of this courtesy of Christian Jessen (I think I've recounted that particular trail of events before). It was horrible, humiliating and scary even though I didn't get any particularly abusive messages. I doubt very much that anyone who joined in with that thought too hard about what it's like to suddenly be inundated with unpleasantness merely for calling a celebrity on their tw*ttish twittering.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

In the Filelding case I don't think the girl who pulled him up on the term 'retarded' was technically 'giving it' out therefore she shouldn't be expected to 'take' anything. It's disgusting and I feel really sorry for people who end up feeling like that after online abuse. Right now I feel like celebs/public figures should either a) get off twitter etc completely if they don't want problems or b) not interact with fans in these casual ways and stick to tweeting tour dates and other factual info.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh god, really? So the messages weren't challenging what you said, rather out and out insults? How many did you get? Was CJ 'copied in'?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I pulled him up for referring to breastfeeding support workers as "militants" and also challenged his use of the word "bully", to which he responded by inviting his 20k+ followers to tell me how wrong I was. Some of the messages were simple descriptions of things people had experienced, but a lot were simply calling me a ***, Nazi, idiot etc. Last I heard, the GMC were investigating his conduct over the whole thing but I don't know if anything ever came of it.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

CO, that sounds dreadful, this phenomenon is clearly not limited to comedians thinking they're being funny.

It strikes me that if someone did this in real life - encouraged others to insult and threaten - they'd be breaking laws on incitement, surely?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics