Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cford09
Beginner March 2013

Bumping up guests?

cford09, 14 of April of 2012 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

We are just about to start writing our invitations and I was wondering, what is the etiquette for 'bumping' up evening guests to the daytime if you get a no from a daytime guest?

We only have 50 for the day and they are all close family and friends so to be honest, I don't think we will get many people saying they aren't coming. But if we do, how do we go about telling someone we've already invited to the evening that they can come to the day? Seems a bit like they might feel like second choice.

Are you meant to send out the day invites first then see if there are any spaces and send out the evening invites later on? If we do this, people may realise they've had their invite a month after everyone else and realise what's happened.

What have you done for your big day? Has anyone had this happen to them as a guest?

Thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by mrsjw2be, 15 of April of 2012 at 17:13
  • xx Mrs Amor to be xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xx Mrs Amor to be xx ·
    • Hide content

We have been thinking about this as we too have 50 for the day, which will be close family and friends, and we are thinking of sending the day invites out first as we have already done a back up list from the evening guests to be moved over if we have drop outs from the day. I am not sure if there is a "norm" for this I don't know, I spose it's up to you, it is YOUR wedding after all so it's up to you how you work it.

I have been a guest that was added to the day from the evening weeks before the wedding, and I really didn't mind, as I am an understanding person, but some people can be funny, although I am learning day by day with this wedding malarky you can't keep everyone happy and it is YOUR wedding after all!! xx

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Some people stagger the invites, so they send out the day guests & two weeks later they send out the evening ones. That way you give yourself two weeks to hear back from anyone who knows they just can't make it (another wedding, pre booked holiday) I've been told by various OM's that people don't tend to have a problem with being bumped up, as long as you give them notice, so not the week before!! X

• lady_chilli
    Beginner November 2013
    lady_chilli ·
    • Hide content

I think thats a great idea to stagger the invites, wait to get a full response and then send the evening invites out, that way no one will ever know and you avoid any awkwardness altogether! win win

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends really. When I got married all the invites went out at the same time. With seperate ones for the evening do (which was mostly my friends to be honest as the day guests were family - we both have large families so that gets round it that way I suppose )

You could stagger them or just send them all out and see what responses you get, you could then "bump" if needed, most people are understanding if you explain that you have invited family first and if they drop out you have places at the day event Smiley smile

It didnt really apply too much to us as we got married in church, therefore anyone not invited to the actual "day" could attend the service anyway, and then just go and get ready for the evening

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We gave all our invites out together, and when we realised we had room for a few extra, we just said to those couples that some family have declined so would they like to come to the whole day? Both couples were fine about it, as everyone knows that there's some family members that you have to invite even if you'd prefer extra friends there!

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

We will be sending the day invites out 3 weeks beofe the evening invites to avoid anyone knowing they were on the b list!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I don't think very many people would object to being bumped up - and frankly if they do then they're not the sort of people I'd want there at all! It's best just to be honest and say "We are very tight for numbers but have had a couple of people drop out so we would love it if you can come to the whole day" - that's hardly offensive!

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    mrsjw2be ·
    • Hide content

I had 50 for day time and only two dropped out so i just pretended to someone that i had sent them the wrong invitation !!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics