Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

Bustle or Wrist Strap (possible OM help required)

Mellow_Yellow, 30 of November of 2011 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 18

As the title says really. I think that a bustle might be easier to work with, but once the dress is up it's up for the night. At least with a wrist strap I could have it on while dancing and down while chatting, etc.

What are you having?

OMs - what did you have and what were the pros/cons?

TIA x

18 replies

Latest activity by darkivy, 30 of November of 2011 at 12:48
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Neither. If I had to have either it would have been a bustle. I think those wrist straps are awful.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you feel that your dress had quite a long train? I would love to keep mine down all night but it is rather bag and I'm not entirely sure that I would be able to dance in it ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I had a biggish train and it didnt get in my way at all. Nobody stood on it either.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I had both and used only the wrist strap (and even then, rarely). My dress was very drapey though with a fair train so it hung nicely.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I had a bustle. I dont like the wrist straps either.

People did stand on it though - even after it had been bustled (sp?)! I had quite a big wedding though so lots of people on the dancefloor etc!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

My friend had a wrist strap and it snapped off with the weight of her dress! She said a bustle would have been better as you can secure it with lots of hidden buttons to take the weight if need be. I think mine is going to be a bustle.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is my main worry ☹️

Trickers - I'm not as scary as you...people will probably stand on mine ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had a bustle...

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did it work well? Anything you would have changed?

My main concern with a bustle is that it will be too time consuming to take it back down if I want to...any experience of this?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It worked very well and stayed up. I was made to put it up when I kept taking out the table plan/chairs/small children.

After then I was too busy dancing to want to take it down again, it was down for most of the day so I wasn't too worried.

Definitely wouldn't have wanted a wrist strap, although this wouldn't have worked with the poufiness of my dress anyway!

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

Another one for the bustle! Not a fan of wrist straps. My friend had the same dress as me ? at her wedding recently and she had a bustle - it was really simple to secure with some little buttons and loops and easy enough to take down again too.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

I had a bustle that kept coming undone but I would still recommend one over a strap - frees up both arms and you don't look like you're carrying a tablecloth around. For some reason my seamstress couldn't do an under bustle (tied up under the skirt, with non slip ribbon at various points) and did an over bustle with one button only, hence it kept coming undone with the weight and peeing me off, so I ended up grabbing my train....and looking like I was carrying a tablecloth ?

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a bustle, the straps are fine if you want to carry the train all night but i want both hands free, plus some dresses are very heavy you would need arms of steel lol, my alterations lady showed me how she will do my bustle which is 2 buttons and a loop in the skirt on the underside where you would tuck the ribbons from the corset in so no one would see and it would feel like part of the dress meaning the back flows nicely x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone...think it will be a bustle ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Another bustle here. Secured by two buttons and held it up all night. I wondered if I'd want to put it down later on to show off the train but I was having too much fun to care!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This will probably be the case. I think it's fair to say that us brides to be worry much more than is necessary ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is definitely true. As I say, I had a wrist strap but it was used when I was walking up and down stairs or across grass etc. I didn't care at any other time, dancing, drinking etc.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Neither, I just swept the floor with my dress lol. Having a hoop made a huge difference as it kept it far enough away from my legs so I could walk/dance easily without holding it up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics