Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsToffee
Expert April 2015

Buttercream Icing Cake

MrsToffee, 24 of October of 2013 at 17:52 Posted on Planning 0 16

Has anyone had or seen a wedding cake with buttercream icing instead of fondant or royal? H2B and I love buttercream icing and are going for sponge cakes instead of traditional fruit but I'm not sure what it'd look like with that style of icing, particularly as I'm going for quite a glam look for dress, centrepieces etc with sparkly brooches and crystal cut glasses. Have googled but it seems to come up with some cakes which are clearly fondant or royal icing! Would love to see some flashes if anyone has any?

16 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 27 of October of 2013 at 09:57
  • J
    Beginner April 2014
  • N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

I was going to say the rose type ones might work better, also worth baring in mind what time of year it will be, buttercream has a nice tendancy to melt and slide in the heat if not stiff enough!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Oooh that's quite nice! Wonder if the icing would support some bling in the form of some sort of edible jewels lol! I loved both of these but don't think they would work with buttercream.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

It will be 11th April Nixy so hopefully not too hot! Actually judging by the weather we had this year it could snow!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think Kharv on here had buttercream cake (she has pics in her report)

The only downside to buttercream is it will melt in heat so not ideal for a summer wedding outside in a marquee etc.

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

We are having buttercream instead of royal icing on ours, and it will be a three tier, chocolate mud cake and vanilla. Our cake lady said that buttercream can work as well as royal icing, it is often cheaper, the only difference is the finish isn;t as smooth if you do want that sort of finish. We are getting married in December so it works wuite well as a snowy type effect. This is what our cake is going to be like, along with the shiny finish (i can;t remeber what the stuff is called that gives it that effect!). If you just google/ pintrest buttercream wedding ckaes you should be able to find loads.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! That cake is lovely; what are the snowflakes made from? I think I need to talk to a proper cake person and see if they can advise on possibilities. My mum also questioned how it would be transported as buttercream is so easily squidged, imagine that's part of the bakeries job to at least advise on best way to do it!

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

I saw this little beauty a few weeks ago... looked wonderful!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

It's lovely Sarah but it's not in our style, I know buttercream doesn't usually go with glam so think that's why I'm struggling. The rose ones are more towards what I'd like and did manage to find these teo as well and I like the swirl effect but just want something with a bit more sparkle but think brooches would just slip in buttercream!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yep, we had buttercream Smiley smile

My mam made my cake. We had a pretty grand venue but we didn't really go in for glitz and the overall theme of our wedding was quite 'natural' so it worked well. (To add to what Funky said, it's not great in heat - so ours getting stuck on the M5 in a traffic jam on the hottest day of the year so far wasn't brilliant).

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Oh no!! Take it that it was OK judging by the pic? I like the little kisses round the bottom of the layers, very sweet! And very impressed that it was made by your mum, we're trying to do a lot of DIY stuff but think the cake is one part we'll be handing over to the professionals!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks. It worked out fine in the end (if a little 'melty' in places Smiley laugh)

Mam did a fab job - she's never made a wedding cake in her life before this one. She's a good egg.

• carbynel
    Beginner August 2014
    carbynel ·
    • Hide content

Queen of Hearts make only 100% buttercream cakes. There are a few on the gallery of their website here

I particularly like this stained glass window effect cake!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what stunning cakes! Have never seen anything like that done with buttercream before!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I have seen these and they look fab. I really like the naked cakes if you are not a fan of icing https://www.pinterest.com/pin/23151385558225524/

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Yeah have seen those; like the ones that look like they're loaded with strawberries! But me and H2B looovvveee buttercream, would have whole cake of icing if we could lol! Am thinking a layer of carrot cake, lemon sponge and victoria sponge all with a thick layer of buttercream; just a question of how it would be applied to look pretty!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I'm a lover of buttercream, so can understand you wanting loads of it!

I like the roses suggestion but I also liked Saturday wedding where they kept it quite simple and rustic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics