Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katherine
Beginner October 2024 Bristol

Buttonhole politics

Katherine, 21 of November of 2023 at 21:25 Posted on Planning 0 9
I have asked my groom to wear a buttonhole to tie him nicely into the wedding party and help it look cohesive
My groom has thrown a hissy fit about how much he hates buttonholes, he doesn't get the purpose and simply doesn't want one
I truly believe he should have one. What are people's thoughts

9 replies

Latest activity by Ravina, 3 of January of 2024 at 15:43
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If wearing one is something he is really unhappy with, you shouldn't expect him to do so. You don't need a 'cohesive' look for a wedding party and anyway - if anyone is going to adjust their appearance to 'tie in' with everyone else, surely it should be the bridesmaids and groomsmen, not the bride and groom!

• N
    Curious December 2026 Somerset
    Natasha ·
    • Hide content
    I would try not to get too worked up over it. So long as his suit or whatever he has chosen works well then a button hole shouldn't make much difference to the overall effect. Generally the men in the wedding party stand out anyway as they all have matching attire so maybe just don't have any button holes at all? We are considering not bothering with them simply to save money and I don't really feel they serve any purpose.
    Also consider how you would feel if your groom wanted to alter your look, perhaps by saying it was essential you wear a veil for example? Would you be happy to go along with that if you really didn't like them?
    I think you could certainly discuss it with him again but ultimately this should be his decision.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    My hubby didn't want them so he and no one else had one. The point of the day is marrying eachother and for me, these small things are not worth getting stressed over. No one is going to say thing or make comments, it is not important. As others say, how would you feel if he wanted to insist you do or don't wear an accessory? Please just let it go is really not a big deal
  • Grace
    Beginner May 2024 Essex
    Grace ·
    • Hide content

Marriage is all about compromise so although you feel quite strongly about this, I would maybe ask yourself "Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things?". It is BOTH your wedding days and if he feels strongly enough about them to throw (as you say) a "hissy fit" then maybe let him have this one? He's the one wearing it after all and you don't want your future hubby to be unhappy on one of the happiest days of your life!

• J
    Beginner August 2024 South West London
    Jen ·
    • Hide content
    I think he’s a grown man who gets to decide what he wears on his wedding day, just as you get to choose your own dress and accessories.
  • Ivana
    Dedicated August 2024 East London
    Ivana ·
    • Hide content
    I think it’s both of yours big day so definitely compromise somehow.
    Don’t stress too much on how you want your wedding to look like and trying to get it perfect picture perfect, it never goes to plan! You will stress so much over it so save yourself the sanity and try and compromise as much as you can so you are both happy. Like I said it’s you day and his day too 😊
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    To be fair, let him. He’ll stand out more not having one compared to the party :-)
  • Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

Compromise as others have said. It's his day as much as yours. It's not really a big deal with regards to the buttonholes. Although I do understand that us brides want everything to look perfect.

• R
    Beginner March 2024 West Midlands
    Ravina ·
    • Hide content
    It’s his wedding too not just the brides which is what I started to understand. Compromise on both sides

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics