Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2014

Buttonholes

KyleighB, 24 of April of 2014 at 13:46 Posted on Planning 0 10

Im so confused about who to get buttonholes for?!

Originally was just going to get ones for the bridal party but then FMIL is questioning why the extended family aren't getting them. I wasnt really even planning on getting them for our nan & grandads because my nan told me she was having one made.

What is everyone else doing/done?

10 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 25 of April of 2014 at 07:31
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I'm a florist and it's usually the principal guests that get the buttonholes i.e., Groom who has one a little bit more special than the other guys, Best Man, ushers/groomsmen if having them, FOB, FOG. The mums normally have corsages. I always advise against having buttonholes for everyone. This used to be done years ago but not nowadays. Most people who attend as a guest won't expect one or will make their own arrangements. In the end, it's all down to budget and personal preference though. Hope that helps.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I was going to get them for groomsmen, mother or the bride and mother of the groom, my oh's granma, my gran and great gran. Tbh only doing the grans because I think mine will moan if she doesn't get one.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Our automatic purchase: Groom and his groomsmen.

I then asked my dad, who surprisingly said yes (he's not wearing a matching suit, and his own suit is without a tie.... he's quite relaxed about the whole affair, lol)

So our next purchase was two more for both dads (figured we shouldn't have one without the other).

I then asked my brother in law if he wanted one, purely because he is sitting at the top table, so would be the only one without one. He said 'nahhh'.

General rule of thumb: anyone wearing a matching suit - get them a matching flower. Anyone else - do this based on your own whim! Plus maybe ask folks what they want, like I did.

I'm sure that's a very lovely florist who replied to you, but honestly, I've never seen anyone get buttonholes of corsages for the women folk. That just seems a bit of an endless moneypit if you go that way. No doubt if the wedding is very traditional, with men in tails, women in big hats etc, maybe it did used to be 'the thing' to give granny a corsage to wear. But nowadays? Ermmm. Never seen it.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I think it's up to the extended family to buy their own if they want to wear them. I don't think you should be providing them for anyone who's not in your immediate family or the wedding party - think how much you could end up spending! I went to a wedding last year and we were some of the only people not to have bought a button hole and corsage so clearly many people do arrange them for themselves if it's what they want. If your FMIL asks say they're welcome to wear one but they'll have to arrange and pay for it themselves.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Many moons ago it was the done thing to provide a buttonhole for all guests. I've been to more than my fair share of weddings over the last few years and not once have I seen it done.

Rule of thumb - groom (a fancy one), best man, ushers and sometimes fathers (especially if they're in matching suits). For our wedding, my MIL had a corsage but my mum chose not to as her dress was patterned and it wouldn't go. My SIL had one made by our florist but paid for it herself.

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

I am getting one for the best man, usher, my stepdad and the grooms dad. And an artifical one for my son as he will probably try and eat a real one lol That is it.

My mum is giving me away so is having a corsage and im doing one for the grooms mum as well. It will cost you a fortune if you get everyone one, you need to stop somewhere so just the main bridal party is best x

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

We are having them for Groom, Best Man, both Dads and the Page Boy. We are having corsages for both Mums and my Grandma (only grandparent attending), we are also considering offering the Groom's sisters corsages to make them feel more part of the bridal party (my sister is MOH).

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

We've got them for groom, best man, usher, my dad, OHs dad and our mums are having corsages.

My mum kept going on about getting them for all guests which I refused and then said about the husbands of my bridesmaids - again I refused saying they would look odd! Although she is paying for the flowers I still didn't want them and must hope she doesn't go behind my back and order them!!

• B
    Beginner
    Bells12 ·
    • Hide content

At FMIL insistence, we're doing groom, best man, ushers, fathers, grandfathers, uncles, nephews, brother and brother in law to the groom, and corsages for the corresponding ladies. That's 17 buttonholes and 10 corsages. It's absolutely bonkers and madness personified!!! But just one of the many battles we've lost. At first she tried to state this was done at all weddings, when we pointed out it wasn't, she lost it and stated that's how it was being done and she would order and give then out herself if we didn't do it! There just buttonholes, it wasn't worth the stress so 17 it is (rolls eyes). She actually wanted cousins too but said the above was her compromise! My advice, do what you want and what budget allows. We would have gone for the people wearing suits only ie the bridal party (6) simples!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not just a florist Brenda, a VERY experienced florist. Like everything else it's down to budget, but as you say this is the usual. Anyone who wants to do the tradition from the olden days (that was my wedding so not that long ago ) can do what people did then and buy carnations from a shop and foil wrap the stems.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics