Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RebeccaLou87
Beginner October 2011

Buttonholes? Are you having them for all guests!?

RebeccaLou87, 19 February, 2011 at 23:44 Posted on Planning 0 25

We're having a buttonhole for each guest, and corsages for the MOB and MOG and my grandmother which I always planned on doing. But, when we went to see our florist she said that some people don't have them for everyone any more and that they just have them for the wedding party.

Mine and H2B's parents and grandparents were horrified at this and thought it was really bad not to have them, and then some of my family said they had been to quite a few weddings where people didn't have them. I suppose it makes sense as it does cut the cost of flowers down by a considerable amount!?

So, just out of curiosity what is everyone else having?

xxx

25 replies

Latest activity by Fcerrino, 21 February, 2011 at 21:21
  • RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

I think you're right hun. I said to my Mum that it did make sense but she wasn't having any of it-she's paying for the flowers so insisted on buttonholes. I suppose its their generation! xx

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

We are having them for every 1 as my mum was like yours and thinks it is bad not to

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

We're just having them for the wedding party...this is actually a tradition I hadnt heard of but I don't have any grandparents left so maybe it would have been a different story with my nana around!

• *libby*
    Beginner June 2011
    *libby* ·
    • Hide content

Were having them for just bridal party and grandparents.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

I originally just wanted them for the wedding party. However, at my brother's wedding a couple of years ago a lot of our extended family bought their own buttonholes and they didn't match.....so as we're only have a small wedding I am buying enough for everyone.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding where everyone has been given a buttonhole - I thought it was just the bridal party that got them.

As we're expecting over 100 guests, we certainly won't be spending out for everyone to have a buttonhole.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am probably your mum's "generation" and no way would I ever do buttonholes for everyone, nor have I ever seen this done. One for the groom and that's it!

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

Glad someone else is having the same. My Mum and Nana were very insistent that we must have buttonholes. Although the guest list is at about 75, they are mostly all family because H2B has a large family, so I think it's right for them to have buttonholes. I think it will be nice for everyone to have them. xxx

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think you're right about that one. Our Ushers will be giving them to guests as they come into the church to take their seats x

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

I've been to quite a few weddings over the years and have actually only been to one where buttonholes were given to all guests. Some weddings, even the groom hasn't had a buttonhole.

We'd spoken with our families and they were happy for us to just order my bouquet, bridesmaid bouquet (we're re using the artificial flowers my daughter had as bridesmaid for my sister last summer, we're having white roses too so they match in) and then just buttonholes for the men in the bridal party. So, my h2b, best man, groom's father, my father, my sister's husband & h2b's sister's husband. None of the women day guests wanted them, but now h2b's family have decided they DO want them. My side don't so we've said that if you want them, you order & pay for your own. Everyone has agreed they are ok with that. It's whatever suits you really. I have heard from friends/family that when people have ordered buttonholes for everyone, they haven't all been worn/used, so i guess it's dependant on whether you feel you can afford to spend money on something that may not be used by everyone.

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

I agree that it is definitely a lot of money to pay out on buttonholes that may not get worn. If we were paying for them ourselves I doubt very much that we would have been having them for each guest, but as my Mother is paying for the flowers and wanted them I don't see the need to upset her by telling her not to bother.

I think you're idea about getting them to order their own if they want one is a very good one. x

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

We are ordering for my side of the family and the men in the bridal party. Ohs mum wants to sort her own out as she thinks she can get it all cheaper somewhere else so she is sorting her parents out too. I have no Grandparents left

x

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

Never been to a wedding where all guests had buttonholes. We are just having the groomsmen (Groom, Best Man, Dad, FIL and Grandad) and MOB and MIL will wear corsages. Makes the bridal party stand out more too.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

In my 30's and have NEVER been to a wedding either in UK, Scotland or Australia where every person gets a buttonhole! We are having for the wedding party and my 90yr old nan only. I can see men in particular not wearing them and being left with wasted money.

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

I am so glad i am not the only one doing button holes for the adults we decided we give kids a packet of sweets so keeps them happy during the ceromony.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We're having them for everyone - I just assumed it would be for the bridal party, but Mum said she would like everyone to have them "like when we got married" (30 years ago). We're not having a massive number of people so it doens't work out that expensive for us.

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

Same here! My mum said the same thing "like when i got married". She was willing to pay for them so I wasnt going to stop her, and I think it will be a nice extra touch.

From the looks of your signature it looks like you are getting married the same day as me! 1st October? x

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We are having them for everyone too! We decided to do this for one main reason: there are marriage splits in the family and oh mum and dad have both got remarried but his dad has only been back in his life for 2 years. It was getting really difficult to decide who was gonna have button holes and corsages as we wanted to include the grandparents in this too but it worked out we have around 20 people in the bridal party if we included everyone. Therefore we have gone for avalanche rose button holes for oh, bm and ushers and corsages for the mums and everyone else will have small akito rose button holes. My florist was really good and has done the small button holes at £2 each which I thought was very reasonable and as we only have 50 guests it hasn't cost too much extra

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

We're having one just for H2B xx

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, I'm a 1st Oct bride, too :o) (there's quite a few of us on here now!)

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me three Smiley smile

We are having them for all the family including the children in the family. I would like them for all of the guests and am a bit dissappointed but at £4.50 each it isn't feasible.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Hadnt occured to me, but if it had i would have decided no, as it would cost a fortune!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I would say just the wedding party! mine is a bit complicated but, the 2 mum's have corsages, then we have buttonholes for:

Groom

Best man

2 ushers

my 2 brothers who are both giving me away

my god father who is giving the 'god father of the bride' speach!

• Fcerrino
    Beginner May 2011
    Fcerrino ·
    • Hide content

JUST having button holes for groom< best man and ushers and the dads> maybe corsages for the mums> there would be an awfull lot of flowers if everyone had one!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics