Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ajdown
VIP September 2011

Buttonholes dilemma

ajdown, 19 February, 2011 at 21:13 Posted on Planning 0 10

Need some assistance from the collective masses, if we may.

Thinking about buttonholes. We've got 9 altogether.

Mine and the best man will both be double roses, the other 7 will be single roses - 3 dads (2 plus stepdad), 2 ushers and two boys part of the bridal party.

We're thinking that mine should have some gold ribbon round the stem to denote that I am "special", as it were, the best man just double roses, the two dads to be single red roses with gold ribbon, the ushers and two boys single ivory roses.

Now the problem of stepdad (well sortof, my mum and him are engaged but not married yet, but I consider him as one). Should he be a single red rose with ribbon (as a dad), single red rose without ribbon (as a parent), or just an ivory rose (as the rest of the men).

I've asked my mum and she doesn't think he'd be particularly bothered either way and in fact grateful we're even considering giving him a buttonhole.

However, what would you do? Is there etiquette for this sort of thing? Or have we got it all wrong in the first place?

10 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 20 February, 2011 at 10:17
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Sheesh, think you are complicating matters somewhat....

give the blokes the red roses (not ribbons as I originally typed!) and match them..... afterall its just a button hole.... otherwise give evryone an ivory rose and leave it at that.

wont your best mans button hole look odd without a ribbon of some description? Either have them all with ribbons or without but not a mixture.

hth.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Blooming heck AJ [see what I did there...?]

It depends if the "real" dads [for want of a better term], would be upset offended by the stepdad having the same buttonhole? You have said you consider the stepdad to be a part of the family so personally I would give him a "family" buttonhole but if it will offend then maybe just a normal guest buttonhole and a quiet word in the ear beforehand to explain?

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

Just a little thing, my florist said that a double rose was technically a corsage!

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

I'd just keep it simple and give all the 3 parents single red roses without gold ribbon.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Usuially the Groom has the double buttonhole which is just a little bit different with something added. The best man has the same as the rest of the men in the wedding party maybe with something added & the ladies have corsages. Hope that helps.

Groom & Bestman:

Ladies:

Guests:

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mmm, there is quite a difference between a double buttonhole and a corsage, both technically and visibly:-

Double buttonhole:-

Ladies corsage:-

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

That's what I thought! I think I may go back and still have a double for the groom then!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For your H2B, you can either have a double buttonhole or a 'special" buttonhole which has just a few more flowers added to make him stand out from the rest of the guys but in no way are these corsages as they are constructed in an entirely different way. So the double buttonhole would be this - the example from before: -

whereas a 'special' buttonhole would be this:-

and a ladies corsage would be along these lines:-

Ladies corsages are generally larger and made into the shape of a miniature bouquet and more feminine than a male buttonhole. The corsages take much longer to make than a buttonhole because they involve taking individual tiny heads of flowers and making them into miniature versions - known in the trade as pipping - and every head has to be individually wired and then put together. Much more complex than a buttonhole!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

As my bouquet is made up of roses, gerberas and calla lilies, my H2B and my son are both having roses (so they have something that just the two of them have), and the other male members of the wedding party are having gerberas but the two dads are having extra foliage so they stand out.

The BM will have the same colour waistcoat and cravat as my H2B and son so people will know that he is a VIP in the wedding party!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

What colour flowers does the bride and bridesmaid have?

I had fuscia pink flowers and the bridesmaids had pale pink.

All the men and the ladies had pale pink - and Mr GB had fuscia to match me. The only difference to his was it had foliage with it where the other men just had the flower.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

You could give stepdad an ivory rose with red ribbon around so he will be slightly different but not the same as the Dads so to speak.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics