Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cake lady
Beginner September 2012

Buttonholes vs corsages?? I'm confused!

cake lady, 23 May, 2012 at 12:11 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi. Think this is me being a bit daft but do different members of the wedding party need different buttonholes? I assumed, until I started looking into it, that everyone who was having a buttonhole had the same. Now, I'm led to believe that the groom & best man have ?bigger ones & the women-folk (or is it just the Mum's) have corsages?

We don't mind not being bang on trend or even being old-fashioned as our wedding is quite quirky & a bit vintagey & we are working to a budget so don't want to spend much in this area. We are considering getting foam / silk buttonholes to save a few bob but are there rules these days?

Sorry to ask what is probably a well known fact???

Please can anyone advise me.

Thanks x

8 replies

Latest activity by SarahThompson, 23 May, 2012 at 13:34
  • porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

I think back in the day all guests were bought a button hole, along with the bridal party, and corsages etc for MOB, MOG.

But I dont think its even thought about now by guests. We are getting 7 buttonholes, for groom, FOB, Best man and ushers and that is it. A lot of grooms have a fancier one, but mine isnt!

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Like you I've heard all different things! Usually the groom has a different one (usually a double flower) and the mothers have fancy corsages. The rest of the guests I'm not sure about as at different weddings I've seen female family members both with buttonholes or corsages (smaller than the mums). We are having button buttonholes and the groom's has a button which says "I do".

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Right, hope this helps, for our wedding we had my Dad, Best Man and Usher with one type of buttonhole (a rose with gold netting), hubby had a slightly bigger and fancier buttonhole (rose with claret netting). My mum had a corsage which matched her outfit colour (H's mum didn't attend, and therefore didn't need one).

All our flowers were silk, no one noticed or cared :o)

We also had buttonholes for everyone who attended - my mum insisted.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I am only doing the men - boy, best man, ushers and maybe Fathers. My Dad will like it, but Boys dad will find it a faff. I am not doing it for the Mums, though if they asked suppose I would.

Maybe either decide, or ask who wants one - if people don't mind and you don't then don;t worry about it?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Normally, buttonholes are for the Groom, Best Man, FOB, FOG and any ushers in attendance if you are having them. The Groom usually has one a little bit more special than the other guys so he stands out on the photos as being the Groom.

Mums have corsages which have more flowers in than a buttonhole. If budget is limited, then Mum's can also have a special buttonhole similar to the Groom. I always advise against getting them for all the guests as most men hate wearing buttonholes full stop and most women guests who would normally wear a buttonhole for a wedding prefer to choose one that matches their outfit rather than the wedding theme.

There are lots of examples of the different types of buttonholes and corsages on my website below if that helps.

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

I'm only thinking of getting for OH, Best man, Page Boys & our Mum's really. Haven't got any bridesmaids. I noticed a special deal with a florist (artificial flowers) with 10 buttonholes, two being double ones (for very reasonable price) & I wasn't sure who got these. Guess it's Groom & Best man.

I realise there was a similar thread recently about who to give them to but this has helped me understand about different types of buttonholes. It sounds like there are trends & traditions but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what you do.

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

Buttonholes are for the men in the bridal party- so Groom, BM, Ushers and FOB & FOG.

Designs depend on whose side the male is.

Corsages are for the MOB & MOG.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I agree, buttonholes for the men in the party - the Groom doesnt need a special or different one. and Corsages for the Mothers ONLY. This is what we had at ours (mum and friend made them.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics