Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FelicityChaplin
Beginner June 2009

Buttonholes, who wears them?

FelicityChaplin, 24 of January of 2010 at 19:57 Posted on Planning 0 9

I'm looking at choosing Buttonholes but have no idea how many I need. Who usually wears them?

Thanks x

9 replies

Latest activity by overtherainbow, 25 of January of 2010 at 07:08
  • cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

I'm only buying button holes for the OH, my dad and the BM and a corsarge for my mam (OH parents are no longer with us).

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I just have them for groom, best man, dads and corsages for mums x

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Felicity

Not sure what the 'norm' is but we are having them for Groom, Bestman, 2 x ushers and 2 x Dads - 6 total.

For the last wedding I went to, the bride had used artificial flowers for the buttonholes and just about everyone had one (her Mum had made them tho!!)

HTH

Mx

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Dads, ushers, BM, groom, mums (could get these a corsage instead). The weddings i've been to that have for all guests, lots get left in the box. Waste of money imo.

• FelicityChaplin
    Beginner June 2009
    FelicityChaplin ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies!
    Wasn't sure if I needed them for all the male guests, but I'm glad that's not the case!

Just going to be for H2B, his Dad, BM & maybe my Mum's partner.
    Mum's can have corsages.

Not sure what an usher is though? (Sorry, I've never been involved in any kind of wedding before!) ?

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

We are giving them to:

Groom (yes really!)

Best Man

Ushers

Father of the Bride

Father of the Groom

Bride's mother's partner (anything for a quiet life)

We will be giving corsages to:

Mother of the Bride

Mother of the Groom

Bride's Step Mother

So just people in the wedding party really.

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

Im not having any at all but I would give them to whoever wanted them if I was having them. I think it is the norm to give them to the groom, best man, ushers, parents etc

• K
    Beginner April 2010
    kazndave ·
    • Hide content

I've got them for;

groom

2 best men (he couldn't decide!)

2 dads

grandad

then corsages for;

2 mums

3 grandmas

I'm really close to my grandparents so wanted them to feel part of the wedding party.

Just had a thought, should i be getting one for my stepmum?

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I think years ago you gave them to all the guests - with different ones for the bridal party.

We're giving them to the Groomsmen (ushers and best men), Parents (and step-parents) and Grandma's

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Couldn't agree more!

Traditionally buttonholes are worn by the Groom, FOB, FOG, Best Man, and any ushers or groomsmen if you are having these. Corsages are worn by Mums and, if desired, Grandma's or special Aunts. It purely depends on budget but in my experience as a florist, most couples who order buttonholes for everyone, wish they hadn't! Lots of reasons really - unless you have meticulous ushers who make sure that everyone is given one on arrival at the church/venue, then a lot will be wasted. Guests won't 'help themselves' to a buttonhole if they are left in a box at the entrance because they are not sure whether they should or not - this is where the ushers come in. A lot of ladies don't actually like pinning a buttonhole onto their new outfits and if they do want to wear a buttonhole, then they tend to prefer to buy their own so they know it will match their outfit rather than having to wear one that someone else has chosen. Lots of older guests for example don't like calla lilies because they associate them with funerals - although this is an outdated view today, it wasn't 20 years ago! Generally, men don't like buttonholes - full stop - it's a 'man' thing! So, it's definitely not expected by guests but it's down to budget and taste really. Hope that helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics