Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HLT
Beginner August 2012

Buying the wedding dress. Should I negotiate?

HLT, 22 February, 2012 at 20:34 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hiya

Asking about this as Ive seen it done on Don't Tell The Bride! The dress I think I'm going to order is quite pricey (for me!) and I was hoping to save a few quid. When I first tried on the dress my sister asked if there was any rook for movement on the dress but we were told no because if she did it for us, she'd have to do it for everyone... What's the norm? Do people just negotiate on Dont Tell The Bride because it's on tv, or if it's really the done thing. Would I be mad paying the full price?

7 replies

Latest activity by lurvlytwink, 23 February, 2012 at 09:11
  • born2fly
    Dedicated January 2012
    born2fly ·
    • Hide content

My sister negotiated on hers, but it was off the rack and the style was discontinued so they didn't/couldn't order it in, she got a dress full price 1200, sale price 900, for 500! i guess there is no harm in trying! you could always try the "i really like this shop and you made me feel so welcome, but ive seen the same dress elses where and they are selling it for......" approach.

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

I tried my dress on in two different shops. I got the impression that one shop was desperate for the sale and pretty much said they'd do a great deal. I bought from the other shop though because their service was amazing and I trust them entirely. I didn't attempt to negotiate but they gave me a discount on accessories (standard).

I think DTTB couples will try to haggle as much as possible as they know there is tv publicity on offer. I don't think it compares to reality at all.

Maybe ask if they could throw in the veil or something rather than haggle on price?

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I'm watching it too and cannot believe how much money that guy has saved! I feel like a right mug for not even asking! If I were you I would have a cheeky try. I'm going to when we go ring shopping!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I saw my dress in one shop for £1,080 but another shop said they would do it for £900 but they didnt stock it so i went back to the first shop to show my mum. I then asked if there was any movement on the price and she said if I buy the sample dress she will take 20% off making it £860! We checked the whole dress for holes or any imperfections but it was perfect, she fully dry cleaned it and gave me a bag all included in the price. So happy as if I was to buy it new I would still need the alterations and as the sample was my size. Very happy.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I had a 25% off at one shop but wanted to use another shop as there well established and only wanted 100 deposit rather than 50% straight away, so metioned to the shop what the other was doing, and asked if they could match so after speaking to her manager said they would. you dont know if you dont try. I was annoyed i didnt ask at the time for saving money on venue so now im trying to save on other things instead! x

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

If you don't sk you will never know. I bought a sample dress so got it reduced. They wouldn't budge on the price but I got free storage and cleaning - and given I bought it November 2010 for my june wedding this year and have been renovating a house inbetween the storage was well worth it!

If you want accessories form them, then see if they'll do dress and accessories or veil for a given price rather than just a discout. Does the price include alterations, if not maybe they could include them for no extra?

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

After my success with the dress I totalled up my venue costs and even though It was just under budget I went back and asked I there was any movement on price they knocked off £1 per person off the drink package, the food package and the evening Buffett, so saved a further £200 just for asking. Going one florist next ?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Always ask. juts be polite & friendly rather than demanding & brattish

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics