Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2016

Cake and champagne reception only

SunnyBlueBridesmaid489, 27 of March of 2016 at 20:01 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

After 3 kids and 14 yrs of engagement, my partner and I are finally getting married! We both come from large families and so have approx 150 guests. We're planning on getting married at our local registry office at 2pm then on to the venue for cake and champagne and be done by 6pm.
Having never been to a reception like this I'm wondering about the order of events, was thinking:
2- married
2.30pm drinks at the venue
3pm - speeches then cake cutting
3.30 - cake eating, drinking and mingling
6pm - done
How does that sound? General thoughts?
We'll have some background music but hoping for a very relaxed affair!
Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowHair540, 30 of March of 2016 at 22:06
  • M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely and relaxed. you may need some additional nibbles just to soak up the alcohol and for those guests who aren't really cake eaters?

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds lovely and informal, maybe swap the champagne for prosecco and have canapés too for the non cake fans? Xx

• S
    Curious January 2021
    SunnyGoldConfetti509 ·
    • Hide content

Think you need to have some food served. 2-6pm is quite a long stretch without proper food, especially with kids. Why not have some bowl food served?

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

I think at all sounds good. People would of had lunch before and probably have dinner after so I don't think you need to have more then you planned unless you wanted to and then maybe have nuts and things like that.

Make sure you tell people though as they will assume there getting a meal.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I like the sound of it being quite an informal but elegant affair, but I think you should make it clear that your guests won't be getting a full meal so that they know to eat before hand. I rarely eat lunch before a wedding because if the ceremony is at 2pm, and we have to drive there, I might need to start getting ready at 12ish. (Ok that's a lie, I would start getting ready a LOT earlier than that!).

You could just put something like: 'Ceremony at XXpm, followed by a reception of champagne and canapes/cake. Carriages at 6pm.'

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Echoing what Karen said, I would make it very clear to your guests that you won't be serving a meal. I'd also provide something savoury alongside the cake - posh crisps and nibbles would be fine.

• H
    Beginner February 2017
    HappyYellowHair540 ·
    • Hide content

As for me, it sounds very good, like a "warm" party, very friendly, I like it!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics