Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

Cake and sweets table - silly questions!

Much_ado_about_weddings, 20 of March of 2016 at 13:20 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all!

Two really stupid questions...

Firstly, should the wedding cake (cupcakes in my case!) be delivered before the ceremony or between the ceremony and reception? My ceremony and reception are at the same venue. I'm tempted to get it delivered before the ceremony, as I'll probably just stress about it not being delivered otherwise... But then, how do I show people it's the wedding cake and not to eat it u too the evening? (We're having an afternoon tea atraight after the ceremony anyway so I want the wedding cake to be the evening meal dessert!). Do I need a sign? Also do I need to cover it up? We're in a marquee...

Second question... I'm also probably going to have a DIY sweet table (assuming my venue allows it!) after inspiration from the ladies on this site! But... When do you do this? Is it just 'there' and people help themselves during the entire day? Or do you do it for the reception only? In which case, how do people know when they can start helping themselves from it?

im probably worrying unnecessarily but I just want it all to run smoothly!

10 replies

Latest activity by Mrsjones2024, 21 of March of 2016 at 18:46
  • S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

Our cake was delivered to our venue in the morning. It was on its own table, next to the top table, and no one would have dreamed of touching it, chopping it up, eating it until after we cut the cake. I assume the cake you're having is identifiable as a wedding cake?

For the sweet buffet, we set it all up the day before, put a chiffon cloth over the top and I asked my brother, who was one of the ushers, to uncover it and take the lids off the sweets at about 8pm, before the evening buffet.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

As long as the cakes look like a wedding cake people will leave them alone. Wedding cakes are usually delivered before the ceremony and the venue staff but it in place when they prepare the room.

The sweet table will be a free-for-all unless you cover it up!

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Great thanks - that all makes sense!

It's a cupcake tower rather than a cupcake tower but I'll have a small cake on the top, with toppers, for cutting. It will probably be obvious, but I'll put a sign maybe like cake cutting after evening bbq and hopefully that will be clear to anyone who fancies a cupcake too early! I presume it's okay to leave cake out like that for hours...?

I'll probably cover up the sweet table then, and uncover it for the reception.

Thanks guys Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Are you having the same room for the day and night receptions?

We are having different rooms and I too am planning to serve the cake in the evening (after a 4 course meal I imagine people are going to be too stuffed for cake) but do I set it up in the wedding breakfast room so it is on display? Or put it straight in the evening reception room?

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Yes same room! It's all in a marquee. If I were you I'd probably just have it set up in the evening reception room! (I'm obviously no expert though.,. But that makes sense to me!)

• D
    Beginner December 2016
    DB2016 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think that is what would be best, we have our photographer all day and night so we will still get photos of the cake cutting - I am making it myself so I will be taking it to the venue the day before as me, my daughter, my mum and bridesmaids are all staying over the night before ?

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Oh wow wish I was clever enough to make my own cake! So many talented brides on hitched! I would say definitely set it up in the reception room beforehand then... You don't want the hassle and stress of shifting it around yourself!

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a plated meal? I can't imagine anyone taking a cupcake anyway, but if your meal is plated there probably won't even be an opportunity for your guests to wander around. I can't even remember getting out of my seat at all at the last wedding I went to, until they ushered us all outside while they prepared the room for the evening portion.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    • Hide content

Noooo... We're doing an afternoon tea which is kinda plated I guess in the sense that people won't be moving around... And also there will be plenty of cakes on there anyway... But then the evening meal will be a BBQ buffet and also there will be a couple of hours to kills before that! But I think I'll just put a sign up maybe, like 'cake cutting at 7:30pm' or similar. Just hope the icing on the cupcakes doesn't melt (marquee in summer)... But maybe I'm being too ambitious with the British weather!!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

If your cake's on its own special table, plus you mentioned you'll be having toppers, I think it will be obvious that it is a wedding cake and I wouldn't bother with a sign. Particularly if you're serving a lot of cake during the day anyway.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I know that the cake usually gets delivered to the venue and set up on the morning of the wedding on it's own table. Our cake maker is a professional cake maker but also a guest so she will arrive about an hour earlier, deliver it, set it up them wait at the bar for the wedding ha!

That's a good point about the sweet table and not something I had thought about before. I have only been to one wedding where there was a sweet cart but it was set up in the evening just before the evening guests arrived.

I wanted to decorate my sweet table with bunting to the front and sparkly table confetti so that it would also be some decoration in the marquee so I don't want to cover it up! But, on the other hand, I don't trust people not to start helping themselves to sweets as not all of my containers have lids! I think putting a cloth over it is going to be the only course of action! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics