Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner September 2023 South East London

Cake budget

HappyGreenFlowers3581, 6 of December of 2019 at 11:52 Posted on Planning 0

We're getting married in Barbados next August so currently liaising with bakers.

Being in England we're having to go off of recommendations.

wondered how people get around suppliers that ask what's their maximum budget. Obviously if I say, they will want to reach it. Then it's a catch 22 to say lower and they say they can't make what we want for that price.

We are looking for a simple 3 tier white cake with cascading flowers. Firsty she said it wouldn't stand out. We're both plain people and don't like fussy designs.

We've received one reasonable quote but this particular supplier is keeps being mentioned often as having nice cakes.

How do I respond nicely saying just quote for what we've asked for?

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'd thank her for her feedback, but restate that you are definitely decided on the simple three tier cake and would like a quote for it if she would still like to be considered for the job. This gives her the option of saying 'thanks, but I'd rather not do a cake that simple' if she really doesn't want the job. If she keeps pushing for something different after this, walk away. However tasty her cake is, the last thing you need is the stress of a supplier hassling you to order something you don't want.

I think many wedding suppliers are used to being able to push brides into having more than they planned by playing on insecurities, e.g. 'everyone expects the cake to be a centrepiece' or 'that won't look good in the photos' or 'brides today always...' When they realise you are clear about what you want and aren't going to be pushed into having more, they usually give in! And if they're still more interested in supplying what they want than what you want, they're not good people to have around on your wedding anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics