Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pookie8911
Beginner April 2017

Cake cutting timing

Pookie8911, 11 of April of 2017 at 21:04 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi everyone! Just trying to finalise some details and trying to decide when to cut our cake! Our evening reception starts at 7.30, and we are anticipating having finished meal at 6.30ish - venue have suggested cutting cake at 6.30 to 'fill the gap', but I thought it was traditionally done when evening guests have arrived? Our first dance will be at 8ish.....

Our venue is over 2 floors...cake will be downstairs, dance floor is upstairs.

any advice would be appreciated! x

3 replies

Latest activity by thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk, 15 of April of 2017 at 15:45
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I think that the true 'tradition' is actually to cut the cake after the meal as 'dessert' but the more modern tradition is to cut it at the evening reception.

We are cutting ours at the evening reception, mainly because I want as many people as possible to see it before it's cut!! Our evening starts at 7.30, so we aren't expecting most people to arrive before 8... cake cutting is at 8.20 and first dance at 8.30.

I think to be honest that you should do whatever YOU want to do- and whatever fits with your venue and your guests!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

It's up to you really. It's more popular these days to keep the cake whole for the evening guests to see it. So cake cut is often done before first dance.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The traditional time is after the meal but now most of the weddings that I shoot I see that the cake is cut just before the first dance, it can be a way of including the evening guests in your day and if done on or near the dance floor if you have a dj you can kill two birds with one stone as they can make the announcement and gather everyone together and then everyone is already there ready for the first dance once the cake has been taken away. In your case I would suggest that the cake cut is done at 7.50 - first dance straight away at 8.00.

Your venue is mentioning "fill a gap" but 1 hour will go by in a flash also the cake cut takes seconds.

Even when the cake is due to be cut on the dance floor it is mostly set up in the room of the wedding breakfast sort of "on show" and then moved by the staff as the room is cleaned up. The venue may not be keen on moving the cake from one floor to another due to the risk of damage or the availability of staff, so as suggested your venue layout may not lend itself to a dance floor/ room cut. If this is the case perhaps the cake could be set up in the dance floor room in the first instance.

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I always advise that the cake cutting leads straight into the first dance. If you do this around 8pmish then if your evening guests arrive from 7ish onwards they'll get to see it too and feel more involved in your special day.

Plus the advantage of doing the two together is you only have to get everyone in the same place once as this can take some time.....Depending on how many guests you have of course!

James

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics