Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hannioli
Beginner April 2012

Cake size question

hannioli, 18 July, 2011 at 21:27 Posted on Planning 0 7

I've been getting quotes for cakes and have realised that I don't know what size we want/need...

One lady has quoted on a 12" fruit, 10" chocolate and 8" sponge cake. Am I right in thinking that the inch size quoted is the diameter of the cake?

Does anyone else think that that size cake is a bit big for 100 guests...?

7 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 19 July, 2011 at 21:47
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Yes the size relates to the diameter of the cake.

I'd also say thats a lot for 100 people, unless you're planning to keep the fruitcake layer.

Mind you, when I buy a Tesco traybake cake it doesn't make as many portions as it claims on the box...

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

Cool, thanks ? I'll go back to that lady and ask her for a smaller cake!

I wouldn't keep an entire layer of 12" fruit cake!! H2b was joking last night about keeping a layer so he could eat it for a while, but that would be a lot of cake!

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I make wedding cakes and, although that should feed a lot more than 100, it's probably what I'd recommend if you want 3 tiers (assuming that they're round cakes). The normal cutting portions of fruit cake are tiny so I always allow for slightly bigger slices.

You also need to think about how many people would want each type of cake? I normally say a 12" round fruit cake would feed 90, 10" sponge or choc would feed 35, 8" sponge or choc would feed 20.

Hope that helps a little bit.

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks Pixie, that is helpful, I'll have to go back to thinking now.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

From what I understand, a fruit cake will serve more than chocolate/sponge etc as the portion size is smaller for fruit. So perhaps you won't get as many servings our of the other 2 tiers?

We are having 120 guests and a 4 layer chocolate cake- my friend (who is just starting her own cake-making buisness and doing it for free as a wedding present so not making any money from it!) said that this is how much we will need to give everyone a slice. I will be serving it as dessert with cream/ice cream. She is the one who told me fruit cake portions are smaller!

I am afraid that I have no idea how big the tiers are, I am trusting her judgement.

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, i've heard that too.

I'm not serving mine for dessert so I don't need to have a cake that will provide a slice for everyone. I'm going to have a consultation with another cake lady on Saturday, so I'll have a proper talk with her about it then.

Thanks for the replies everyone ?

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

As a comparison, we're having 110-120 guests and we're having a 10", 8", 6" and 4" cake and expect to have a fair bit left over, especially a we're having cake pops as well lol

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

My boss has made our fruit cake, and the bottom two are fruit cake and are 10'' and 8'' and the woman who is decorating it for me will do a smaller choc cake to fit on top top cos i hate fruit cake bleughhhh!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics